Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3539
View in threaded mode

Subject: "MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..." Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseGSRT-4Dec-15-07 06:55 PM
Member since Jan 25th 2007
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3539, "MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..."

Well here is my problem, ive got the msII processor v3 board and im trying to do the 420a board mods, but my problem is i dont know what directions to follow, ive seen two sets of directions that show different ways to wire it up. One set of directions dont even list using the extra VB921. Well this is one set of directions that ive found http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Neon.htm#Neonsoft
and these are another set of directions ive found http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-neon.html

Are either of these correct, and what configuration is best for eliminating noise out of the signal, ive heard using the VR circuit with some adjustment, and a few other things to try, i dont know whats tried and tru or what, im looking for someone with experience in this to help me out. Thanks in advance and if there are any more questions please feel free to ask, and if your wondering about the setup i have a thread about the engine ive built, but for some reason i cant find it on the site, u can find it on google by searching for 2gnt and my user name (EclipseGSRT-4) and clicking the cached link. Well thanks for anyones input in advance...

-J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
DirtMegirtDec-16-07 02:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3540, "RE: MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..."
In response to Reply # 0

This is the setup that I followed, however, I only did the input mod listed there and then used the output mods for a 4cyl wasted spark setup listed here:

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Ignition.htm#2coils

I also have the ms2 v3 and I have been unable to conquer the noise issue. Better luck to you, and please keep me informed if you crack it.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseGSRT-4Dec-16-07 11:02 AM
25 posts,
#3541, "RE: MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..."
In response to Reply # 1

As for the signal noise, wasnt there talk of using the VR circuit and with a lil tweaking of the "pots" having a stable and clean signal??? I built both circuits vr and opto... Also im going to look at this setup u linked me to since it has the two vb921 setup. I wish there were more MS experts around to kinda help out and give some advice.

-J

DirtMegirtDec-16-07 12:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#3542, "RE: MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by EclipseGSRT-4
I wish there were more MS experts around to kinda help out and give some advice. -J

http://www.msextra.com/

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

EclipseGSRT-4Dec-16-07 12:45 PM
25 posts,
#3543, "RE: MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..."
In response to Reply # 3

Yea, ive been on the site searching around old posts for a few days now... I guess ill make a cry out to somenoe that has done this setup before, It would just make it easier to get info from someone that has had hands on experience with the exact unit im trying to deal with. As a question, has the source of the noise in the signal been figured out yet. IE (igntion event related, ground loops, charging system, ect.?) Just trying to get more info on whats going on...

-J

Slo2gDec-17-07 04:19 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#3544, "RE: MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..."
In response to Reply # 4

Only way I have heard to get the noise out of the ignition is to do away with the stock computer.

EclipseGSRT-4Dec-17-07 12:28 PM
25 posts,
#3545, "RE: MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..."
In response to Reply # 5

Well thats going to suck... Thats going to ruin all hopes of keeping the car street legal... Is there any way to feed the stock ecu a crank signal to keep it happy along with all the other signals that will be removed, possibly use the GPIO board (i think thats what i want to say) Im just throwing some ideas out there, has anyone thought of this? maybe ill just buy a 95 to drop this motor into it, in NH we dont have to emissions test 95 or older cars, we only have to pass safty tests.

-J

Slo2gDec-30-07 06:36 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#3546, "RE: MS Experts, Need Help With MS 420a Board Mods (MSII v3)..."
In response to Reply # 6
Dec-30-07 06:37 PM by Slo2g

I am not sure about this because I don't have safety or emissions testing but MSnS makes your CEL stay on unless you remove the bulb due to the injector circuit and o2 sensor not haveing any effect on the fuel trims or being able to complete the injector circuit. So if you have to have a visual and the CEL has to be off, then your not going to pass with MSnS anyway. I don't think any one has isolated the noise but people have gotten rid of the stock ecu and it goes away so I would say its probably something that you have tapped into for the MSnS sensors(TPS, Crankshaft, or something). If you wanted to keep the stock ecu but use MSnS then use an older board, MS1V2.2. Thats what I am going to do.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3539 Previous topic | Next topic