Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51893
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Question about porting intake manfold?" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
likestoflooritMay-26-03 03:10 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
397 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51893, "Question about porting intake manfold?"

Hey what type of bit do i use on my dremmal??? and can i port the part where my MP TB is connected to the intake manafold??? Or does this have to be done by a machine? thx

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie
~likestofloorit.. (1/4=16.258)(60=2.363)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
TeamMetalJimMay-26-03 06:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51901, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 0

I use a Dremel to port pretty much everything.

Bit 112 is great for horking it out to the shape you want.

Bit 952 is great for getting it smoothed out.

And the 511 abrasive buffs are good for getting it really smoothed out.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

510eclipseMay-26-03 08:33 PM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
#51913, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 1

yup, those are what i use, and just dont forget, a little is a lot, don't do a lot in one area at once. gasket match everything so you get the most out of your porting. take the sensors off before you get started. clean it out really well with carb cleaner or something before putting the intake mani/tb back on your car. if you do your exhaust mani, its not quite so critical because its all just going to blow out of your cars ass anyways, but id till clean it out for the most part as well before re-installing. dont do any porting to your engine/block, have that done at a shop. if you ever think your really talented with the porting, you can maybe think about plugging up the holes with some rags and portmatching your exhausts ports on the block to the exhaust mani/gasket. happy porting, enjoy the endless hours of boredom just keep thinking "hp" and wear ear plugs at least sometimes to keep the headaches down.

juggaloMay-26-03 10:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#51918, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 2

i use the little wire-wheel brushes too.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

TeamMetalJimMay-26-03 10:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#51921, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 3

To finish up?

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

TalonSpeedMay-27-03 05:04 AM
Member since Oct 15th 2002
446 posts,
#51932, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 4

Everyone says gasket match this, and gasket match that. Gasket companies dont know anything about flow. What they do know is to make that gasket big enough that it wont restrict flow and make the gasket good for sealing.

Port only accordingly to how your head is ported.

juggaloMay-27-03 05:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#51933, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 4

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

a_miller_76May-27-03 05:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#51934, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 6

Don't try to port it to match that MP throttle body unless you take it and have material added around that bottleneck. The exterior diameter of that bottle neck is barely over 60mm and you'll have a big gash (it happened to someoneon this board)

juggaloMay-27-03 06:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#51938, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 7

i have mine matched to the 60mm jeep TB with plenty of manifold left

510eclipseMay-27-03 05:53 PM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
#51988, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 5

>Everyone says gasket match this, and gasket match that.
>Gasket companies dont know anything about flow. What they do
>know is to make that gasket big enough that it wont restrict
>flow and make the gasket good for sealing.
>
>Port only accordingly to how your head is ported.

well no you see, obviously youve never gasket matched considering your firmly against it, but honestly there is nothing dramatic about it. it has absolutely nothing to do with using the the gasket as a diagram for perfect flow size/shape. it's simply an easy way of assuring an identical mating surface between the two parts separated by that gasket. which WILL improve flow in these cases.

perhaps you already know the process but just for example what you would do is: take the gasket, line it up perfectly with the bolt holes, trace the gasket holes onto your intake manifold, then take the same gasket, line it up on the throttle body perfectly with the bolt holes like you just did, and trace the hole on there. then, you port it to match the tracing, and be very critical about tightening up everything with the gasket in there the way you need it. boom, now your throttle body and intake manifold have a perfect fit with no restrictions. like i said thats just an example, infact now that i think about it, our stock intake mani's and tb's might match up perfect to begin with. but this definately serves a purpose in at least some applications.

likestoflooritMay-30-03 02:11 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
397 posts,
#52198, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 8

Should i take off my intake mani to port match it with the TB or is it better to leave it on there??

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie
~likestofloorit.. (1/4=16.258)(60=2.363)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51893 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic