Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #116923
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Ticking noise" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
AcidfriedJan-09-08 06:44 PM
Member since Feb 15th 2007
32 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116923, "Ticking noise"
Jan-09-08 08:10 PM by Acidfried

there's a ticking sound under the hood of my car that changes with the rpm's. the thing is it only does it when i turn to the right. i have changed the cv joints and have put in new clutch and flywheel and i'm (and my mechanics) at a loss. has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing it. my car is a 1995 talon esi and any help would be apreciated Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-10-08 03:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116924, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Acidfried
there's a ticking sound under the hood of my car that changes with the rpm's. the thing is it only does it when i turn to the right. i have changed the cv joints and have put in new clutch and flywheel and i'm (and my mechanics) at a loss. has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing it. my car is a 1995 talon esi and any help would be apreciated Thanks

Checkt he condition of the balljoints in the front suspension. usually, they groan when they're failing, but I suppose ticking could happen. look for torn boots and grease blobs.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

justins71Jan-10-08 03:31 AM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#116925, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 1

if it's changing by RPM it's probably not suspension-related. I'm kinda out for guesses, was gonna shoot up something with brake rotor but that's MPH factored. we don't have crank walk, loose timing cover maybe? naw, make more of a whine... hmmm

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

AcidfriedJan-10-08 05:56 AM
32 posts,
#116926, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 1

ball joints and boots look fine no grease blobs or anything. timing belt cover was loose but isn't the cause of the sound (had repaired when clutch/flywheel was replaced)had some mechanics tell me it sounded like a loose flywheel bolt but again thats all been replaced. if there's anything else i could post that could help let me know.

KnightHawk434thJan-10-08 08:03 AM
Member since May 14th 2007
149 posts,
#116927, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-10-08 08:09 AM by KnightHawk434th

Loose flywheel bolt would not matter which way you turned, I'd say something in your suspension is fubared. Unless you only notice it upon turning and actually it is an engine problem. Have you ever noticed it driving just straight or at idle? Or only when you turn?

-Ben
Black 1999 RS

Basic mods and a South Bend OFE-SS Clutch
~150bhp.....for now!

AcidfriedJan-10-08 08:19 AM
32 posts,
#116928, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 4

i only hear it when i turn the steering wheel right (moving or sitting still) and as i increase the rpm's it just ticks more. as soon as i turn the wheel back straight no ticks

djtrickeeJan-10-08 08:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#116929, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Acidfried
i only hear it when i turn the steering wheel right (moving or sitting still) and as i increase the rpm's it just ticks more. as soon as i turn the wheel back straight no ticks

power steering pump.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Chip176583Jan-10-08 08:46 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2003
182 posts,
#116930, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 6

check your belts mine was making a loud ticking sound and it turned out to be the p/s and ac belt was worn out and ticking as it went over the pulleys

AcidfriedJan-10-08 08:56 AM
32 posts,
#116931, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 7

belts are fairly new (been replaced after ticking started)

KnightHawk434thJan-10-08 09:44 AM
Member since May 14th 2007
149 posts,
#116932, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 8
Jan-10-08 09:46 AM by KnightHawk434th

Are they at the proper tension? Another thing you could do to rule out the P/S and A/C is to temporarily take that belt off and just run the one from the crank to the alt so you battery doesn't die. Just beware turning at a slow rate of speed is a pain in the ass with no P/S, but once you get going it is manageble. If it still ticks then it isn't you P/S system, but rather something else. If it stops on the other hand, then you might want to check your pulleys and make sure aren't bent or loose (it has been known to happen...), but it might be your P/S pump going out or low on fluid. Take the belt off and see if it still there.

-Ben
Black 1999 RS

Basic mods and a South Bend OFE-SS Clutch
~150bhp.....for now!

AcidfriedJan-10-08 08:47 AM
32 posts,
#116933, "RE: Ticking noise"
In response to Reply # 6

what would be the best way to test that?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #116923 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic