Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #96204
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
.bs0dFeb-05-06 01:12 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96204, "Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
Feb-05-06 01:24 PM by .bs0d

Rather than talk about it, just see and hear for yourself. I recorded its antics.

http://www.allsyntax.com/pics/eclipse.avi (right-click --> save target as)

once warmed up, runs completely fine.

Here are the things that have been replaced:

ECU
MFI & ASD relays
Cam sensor + clip
crank sensor + clip
coolant temp sensor
Front 02 sensor
IAC
cracked pcv hose
air filter
spark plugs
coilpack

tried exchanging map sensor w/ another and speed sensor w/ another but neither changed anything. Same goes with TPS as well.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
.bs0dFeb-06-06 02:46 AM
597 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96215, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-06-06 02:46 AM by .bs0d

any feedback is much appreciated. I just dont know where to go next... would be nice to get the computer read or something to see whats going on.

for those who dont download the video...

i try to start, and it wont unless i sort of pump the gas why starting. After it starts, if I keep on the pedal it'll stay started. After a little bit It'll idle on its own. But then if I press the gas it'll bog-down and cut out and try to die. And as mentioned before, once it warms up it idles fine?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ForceFed420aFeb-06-06 03:11 AM
Member since Oct 18th 2004
620 posts,
#96216, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 1

EGR related? Did you do a compression test? Clogged cat?

Brian

Red 97 Eclipse GS (420a) MTX
Custom Garrett T3 Turbo system
Megasquirt w/52 lb/hr injectors & a Walbro 255
Kicker/Alpine Audio (3 amps, 2 subs)
90 Cav 2.2 TBI auto (winter) <- yeah, it's fast

.bs0dFeb-06-06 03:20 AM
597 posts,
#96217, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 2

i knew I'd forget something in the list...

the ERG TUBE is not clogged. What else ERG related could cause it? the solenoid deal up front that has vac lines attached to it?

have not done a compression test (dont have the tools).

eclpsmoneypit95Feb-06-06 04:51 AM
Member since Mar 09th 2005
371 posts,
#96218, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-06-06 05:07 AM by eclpsmoneypit95

Originally posted by .bs0d
i knew I'd forget something in the list... the ERG TUBE is not clogged. What else ERG related could cause it? the solenoid deal up front that has vac lines attached to it? have not done a compression test (dont have the tools).

Compression testers only cost $20-30. You've thrown this much money at it already, what's another couple of bucks?

Is it cold out? At temperatures below zero, the warmup afr can be as low as 4:1 because most of the fuel doesnt atomize and is just passed through the system and out the exhaust. When the engine is warmed up, most or all of the fuel atomizes and the computer adjusts the afr towards stoich. It could be that upon starting/running the car after sitting for a while and its running pig rich to warm up quicker, the IAC isnt opening to allow extra airflow so it doesnt flood out. Just a thought.

Oh yeah, and my roommate wanted me to tell you the reason you're having problems is because your flux capacitor is bad...yeah

That blue car got me boobies once

96rs-tFeb-06-06 05:02 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
#96219, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 4

just go rent the compression guage/hose from your local autozone. $35 bucks, and you get your money back once you return it. simple.

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-06-06 05:07 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#96220, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 3

Ok where to go next.

Basics?
partially clogged injectors and/or fuel filter

What i would want to do is get the car on a scanner and see what values you have on the sensors for cold as opposed to warm. That may point in a specific direction. I would also want to see where the car starts to idle fine. Does it clear up once the ecu goes into closed loop or just a specific temp. Is the condition it clears consistant?

When cold the ECU works with a set enrichment. The ECU doesnt monitor mixture to conpensate. When warm the ECU reads o2 and adjusts the mixture to meet the targe AFR. That could be why you dont feel the problems at high rpms liek you normally would with clogged injectors. Then again it might be leanign out top end and you just dont realize it. Poss bad gas as well.

Terry

eclpsmoneypit95Feb-06-06 05:10 AM
Member since Mar 09th 2005
371 posts,
#96221, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Ok where to go next. Basics? partially clogged injectors and/or fuel filter What i would want to do is get the car on a scanner and see what values you have on the sensors for cold as opposed to warm. That may point in a specific direction. I would also want to see where the car starts to idle fine. Does it clear up once the ecu goes into closed loop or just a specific temp. Is the condition it clears consistant? When cold the ECU works with a set enrichment. The ECU doesnt monitor mixture to conpensate. When warm the ECU reads o2 and adjusts the mixture to meet the targe AFR. That could be why you dont feel the problems at high rpms liek you normally would with clogged injectors. Then again it might be leanign out top end and you just dont realize it. Poss bad gas as well. Terry

I think he said it a little better than I did ^^^

That blue car got me boobies once

.bs0dFeb-06-06 07:11 AM
597 posts,
#96222, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 7

ok i think my flux-capacitor is fine haha

oh and it was like 50 outside when i recorded that video.

other than that i'll pick up a compression tester and get back to this thread with the numbers (if it even matters).

also, i'll try to get my hands on a logger. I dont have one, dunno who lives close that has one. Im in Southeast Kansas.

Thanks for the info- Its been a real bitch, hopefully I can get it lined out?

the fuel filter has under 500 miles on it.

JenFeb-06-06 07:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#96223, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-06-06 07:28 AM by Jen

Where at in SE Kansas? I'm in NW Arkansas and have an obd2 logger. Maybe we can meet up if you haven't fixed it yet?

Edit: Sorry, wrong login! This is Cody (DSMxTSi).

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

.bs0dFeb-06-06 07:31 AM
597 posts,
#96224, "RE: Bad Idle, --video (8mb)--"
In response to Reply # 9

im in independence, ks

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #96204 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic