Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #4468
View in threaded mode

Subject: "another newbie in need of help" Previous topic | Next topic
dchosenb (Guest)Jul-02-01 06:25 AM

#4468, "another newbie in need of help"

Well, I blew a coolant hose and overheated to hell. Had her looked at, and the first guy I took it too told me I was lucky i didn't blow my head gasket, all I need was some new hoses. Had that done, still overheating. Took it to another shop and the mechanic tells me its most likely i need a new head gasket, but he doesn't do that type of work. So I've already searched the archives and what not and figured out that with my very limited experience working under the hood, it'd be best for me to take it to a shop somewhere to get the work done. So my question is - does anyone know of any shops in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area that would do this type of work at a reasonable price? Any help from anyone would be appreciated...

and for the record, its a 95 Talon ESi, all stock

dchosenb

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
dchosenb (Guest)Jul-02-01 06:47 AM

#4469, "RE: another newbie in need of help"
In response to Reply # 0

Forgot to post some symptoms

It struggles starting (especially from a cold start)
Overheats and begins to smoke under hood after running for 2
minutes sitting still
overheats after driving for about 5 minutes
car just doesn't feel or sound as powerful as it used to

any ideas on what the problem could be? Mechanic says I have coolant bubbling up into my radiator, could be because the thermostat is stuck, but its probably the head gasket leaking... help, anyone.....

dchosenb

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

solar1Jul-02-01 07:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4470, "RE: another newbie in need of help"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi there! I'm sorta new too, however, i have a 96 Elcips GS and let me tell ya. you've only just begun with this problem. I have never "over-heated" like you just did, but. I over-heat everyday until something "happens" and the temp guage goes down. Both fans work. IT's the head gasket. i've replaced 3 so far. it'a all about the backed-up combustion thing all the guys at work tell me about. i live in Central Jersey. I've had the dealer do it the first time because it was warranty. and i had a guy that used to work with my brother do it the second time only charged me 300 $ that was with parts. But he's MIA. So now i'm goign to take it to Sonny's J&S auto in East Brunswick. He's helped me out on an emergency job before. They are honest , great mechs, great service and the prices are competitive. I don't know thier # off hand, but from Philly you're looking at an hour, hour & a 1/2 drive depending on traffic.
Did you check to make sure it's not your thermostat?
11 bucks at R&S Strauss?????? alot of savings there...

dchosenb (Guest)Jul-02-01 03:17 PM

#4471, "RE: another newbie in need of help"
In response to Reply # 2

I had the entire coolant system looked at, including the thermostat. I was told that I have coolant bubbling up through my radiator and that it most likely is the head gasket. I don't even think my car can make it to Central Jersey. I barely made it to the mechanics 5 minutes from home. I'd probably have to get it towed out there. So are head gaskets generally a problem on the 420A? Replacing 3 doesn't sound like something I want to do. I love my car and don't want to have to get rid of her, but if maintenance costs become too much, I may have no choice. One option i'm considering is a complete engine rebuild. The upside of this one is that I could rebuild with performance parts. How much $$$ ballpark would I be looking at for a new engine or a rebuilt engine. any guidance or suggestions?

dchosenb

solar1Jul-05-01 02:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4472, "RE: another newbie in need of help"
In response to Reply # 3

Well, Just by looking on the boards eveyday it seems (by observation) that over-heating and head gaskets are the big topic. My old mech told me that the head gaskets were a big thing with the eclipses. My opinion we should all go class action and have Chrysler replace them. But this i do know... Somewhere on this sight someone mentioned that the bolt hole behind Cyl#4 wasn;t bored correctly so the bolt cannot be torqued properly. Quick fix: cut the bolt down. BUt if you overheat like that then chances are you probably did damage to your HG. My big problem is that noone can seem to find why my gasket goes. i've spent alot of money fixing this car, but i love her to much to get rid of her. I'm on a lease too i can walk away from it in Aug. but i just can't seem to do it..
Also, if it is and you have to replace a couple of guys here said to get the MLS head gasket from Mitsu. It's better and if you have a private mech do it get the torque specs from them as well it's different then the stock gasket.

TeamMichael_97RSJul-05-01 02:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#4473, "RE: another newbie in need of help"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah the bolt hole on the back side of the motor by cylander 4 was not taped far enough because of a coolant passage right beneath it. You can grind a small amount off the bottom of the bolt and be fine. Using the MLS gasket should help too it's a bit thicker and is suppose to solve this problem. As far as blowing 3 HGs??? I don't know of anybody here who has had that problem? When was the last time you had a flush and fill on your cooloing system?

"Claim Victory in your heart, and the universe will follow."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather Filters, AFX UDP, 55mm TB, GS-T Muffler, FU/RU/RL STBs, Front NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., Red Silicone Hose Kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads, S-AFC, A/F Meter

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Clutch Line, Rear Motor Mount Ins., EGT

Waiting for from RRE: Front Lower Tie Bar

Waiting for: Intake Manifold being ported/polished

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

solar1Jul-06-01 12:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2 posts,
#4474, "RE: another newbie in need of help"
In response to Reply # 5

i just did it a month ago. I do it 2ce a year. in the fall and the spring time. But like i said no mech i've gone to can seem to find why they keep going. my entire coolant system is running perfect. pump, thermo, all hose or new. no leaks. the block isn't crack and no heads are warped. it's quite frustrating. i want a new engine totally so i don't have to deal with this anymore.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #4468 Previous topic | Next topic