Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #30291
View in threaded mode

Subject: "CAI Concept....want opinions" Previous topic | Next topic
a_miller_76Aug-16-02 12:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30291, "CAI Concept....want opinions"

Okay, me and the guys were sitting around at the shop this weekend thinking of an idea. Cold air intakes are great, but aluminum does have a high heat transfer value so by the time your air gets to the manifold it is heated up somewhat. We were trying to think of ways to get the intake temp down even further and we came up with this concept.

Take a few sheets of Dynamat Xtreme, the type with the heat reflective layer, and cut it into 1" strips and wrap it around your intake. Then take the wrapped intake and wrap it again with a header wrap. If I'm thinking correctly this should eliminate any heat transfer to your intake and lower your temperature even further.

Any thoughts or ideas? We're gonna try it this weekend, I'll let you all know how it works out.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
The1BillAug-16-02 04:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30292, "RE: CAI Concept....want opinions"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, one thing to realize that is kinda interesting, is that when the engine is at full throttle, the intake air stream is moving at 200-300 feet/second. Now, you could use the sectional volume of the tube and the specific heat of the aluminum and the air in the tube, to calculate the number of joules being transferred through the pipe, keeping the underhood temperatures in mind, or just take a guess as to how much this would help. I just woke up (noon), and don't feel like doing the math. I agree that Dynamat and header wrap will signifigantly increase the heat transfer rate of the cold air intake, though. I am not saying that it isn't worth it, all I am saying is that I like my plastic Iceman in the least radiating colour (white) sometimes.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TwisteAug-16-02 08:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#30293, "RE: CAI Concept....want opinions"
In response to Reply # 1

Well, the idea of a CAI isnt necissarily to have a cool intake charge, it is to bring in cooler, more "dense" air (more air basically) so no matter how much the heat transfer there is, usually it wont make a difference cause the dense air is being rammed up in there and as it heats up more cool air is ramming in behind it so it just pushes the warmer air into the engine anyways. Even if the heatwrapping did cool the intake air, i dont believe it would make much of a difference. Try and and see what happens, I could be wrong..

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #30291 Previous topic | Next topic