Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137401
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Fried Stock ECU?" Previous topic | Next topic
Rude55Oct-17-12 04:28 PM
Member since Aug 16th 2011
37 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137401, "Fried Stock ECU?"

Hey guys while doing my 60mm tb install I noticed my wiring harness for my injectors had burned through right to the copper and the copper was exposed for injector 4. The car was sputtering and an CEL had came up when I fired it up so i took it to a shop and it came up as cylinder 4 was not firing. Mechanic said it must have shorted out and fried that section of the ecu after he used his tester. Does this seem legit to happen or should I get a 2nd opinion? Hence why I am asking all the pros. If thats the case I guess a new ECU is in store? I had a 2nd wiring harness for the injectors lying around so I tried that and same issue still.

Would the injector itself get fried before the ECU? Thanks again.

BTW its for a 1999 eclipse gs. Thanks in advance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
AdministratorCODE4Oct-17-12 05:30 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137402, "RE: Fried Stock ECU?"
In response to Reply # 0

The EFI/ASD fuse would have popped more than likely before the ECU. There are failsafes for that reason. Get a second opinion.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SilvrEclipsOct-17-12 05:44 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#137403, "RE: Fried Stock ECU?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yea it sounds unlikely to fry the injector circuit in the ECU. I know they make testers that will show you if the injector is firing or not, I have seen them made out of 1 LED and a resistor, might want to try something like that before you go buy a new ECU.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Rude55Oct-17-12 08:02 PM
37 posts,
#137404, "RE: Fried Stock ECU?"
In response to Reply # 2

Where are those fuses located? How can I check if one of those has popped?

Also he used a tester from the battery to the injector wire it was showing a power but no neutral ( or negative?) Thats why he said it was the ECU. Does that make sense? I'll go to a different mechanic tomorrow anyway.

SilvrEclipsOct-18-12 06:22 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#137405, "RE: Fried Stock ECU?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yes that makes sense, the injectors get power from the same wire, then the ECU 'fires' each injector by grounding the other side of the injector. I would check for continuity between the ECU pin and the injector plug. You can find ECU pinouts on this site.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Rude55Oct-31-12 09:24 PM
37 posts,
#137473, "RE: Fried Stock ECU?"
In response to Reply # 4

So my new ECU came in off an 1998 gs and i switched it and the car works fine now. Idles better than before at about 900-950. What I learned : Exposed copper from the injector pigtails will cause an electrical short and fry a part of the ecu!

My question is for the plastic and insulation off the wire to melt the way they did, should I be concerned of it happening again?

Time to try that 60mm throttle body mod again.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137401 Previous topic | Next topic