Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #134377
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Rough idle/limp mode?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic
Paranoid4LifeJun-22-11 06:20 PM
Member since May 07th 2011
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#134377, "Rough idle/limp mode?"

So i have no clue what going on, im late posting it on here,so before i copy/paste my story, ill say Ive just changed the coil pack and the crank position sensor today. The car goes into what i believe is limp mode out of no where. I have a cel but its for the o2 sensor that I havent put back in when I changed my exhaust. Before it used to do it for a second and it seemed like just a rough idle for a few seconds then it would go away. Now i just started the car, tried to drive off and then it goes into a "limp mode" the engine starts sputtering, and seeming/sounding like its going to stall, and i press on the gas and its starts lunging forward and at some point all throttle response is gone and I can have the pedal to the floor and nothing happens. Need to figure this out ASAP. Im lucky I have off work tomorrow so I have at least a day to figure this out.

Also I just changed the exhaust on it, I put a new cat(res), and catback on it, but i couldnt get the old o2 sensor out so at the moment the downstream o2 sensor is not in. Im going to be getting a new one to put in but I thought Id give that info too just incase that could possibly be the problem.

1997 Dodge Avenger ES - Sold
1997 Dodge Avenger (boosted) - Parted
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Current car

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
ModeratortekleinJun-22-11 06:24 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#134378, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 0

Upstream O2? If so put it in ASAP.

Also, check your map sensor and timing.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Paranoid4LifeJun-22-11 06:28 PM
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#134379, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 1

No its the downstream o2 that isn't in, I said that in my post. Could that one cause problems like this also?

Wes TankJun-22-11 07:45 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
#134383, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 2

That first video sounds EXACTLY how mine used to sound. I have a wideand and when it would sound like that it would go extremely lean like around 17ish. This happened to me normally after I'd let off the gas. This happened with multiple different new sensors and 2 different motors. Never figured it out and basically just figured it was the actual ecu but I have no final diagnosis to confirm that.

740 turbo brickJun-22-11 08:41 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#134384, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 3

Sounds like theres an enormous hole in the exhaust somewhere for one. And yeah, to make a stock car lope like it has Crower 2s, you have to be lean as hell. Leaner than 17:1, from what Ive seen.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Paranoid4LifeJun-22-11 08:47 PM
25 posts,
#134385, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Sounds like theres an enormous hole in the exhaust somewhere for one. And yeah, to make a stock car lope like it has Crower 2s, you have to be lean as hell. Leaner than 17:1, from what Ive seen.

Yeah the exhaust is open. When I put the new catback in, I had to get a new cat so I got a megan racing cat(res), and the stock one was impossible to get off so I had to cut it at the bolts. Ill be getting new headers soon so it will all be hooked up right. I tried to drill holes in the old exhaust but it just wouldn't work, so like I said im going to get a set of ebay headers so it will all bolt up right, at the moment I just have it held together so it somewhat flows through the catback.

ModeratortekleinJun-23-11 04:16 AM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#134390, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Paranoid4Life
No its the downstream o2 that isn't in, I said that in my post. Could that one cause problems like this also?

I was on a airplane.

ModeratortekleinJun-23-11 04:16 AM
1699 posts,
#134391, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Paranoid4Life
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick Sounds like theres an enormous hole in the exhaust somewhere for one. And yeah, to make a stock car lope like it has Crower 2s, you have to be lean as hell. Leaner than 17:1, from what Ive seen.
Yeah the exhaust is open. When I put the new catback in, I had to get a new cat so I got a megan racing cat(res), and the stock one was impossible to get off so I had to cut it at the bolts. Ill be getting new headers soon so it will all be hooked up right. I tried to drill holes in the old exhaust but it just wouldn't work, so like I said im going to get a set of ebay headers so it will all bolt up right, at the moment I just have it held together so it somewhat flows through the catback.

You need to fix the exhaust.

Get a downstream O2, although the stock ECU shouldnt really care other than a CEL.

Did you check the MAP and timing yet?

420agreenvilleSCJun-23-11 09:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#134392, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 6

downstream is just for emissions. Upstream is everything

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Paranoid4LifeJun-23-11 02:45 PM
25 posts,
#134394, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 8

Went out and bought a new map sensor today, took the old one off and it was oily and dirty, and i looked into the hole and it looked bad so started wiping as much as I could out of the hole and i dont know what it is but its some black oily crap coming out of it and the deeper into the manifold i scrape more keeps coming. Could that have been the problem? Could that stuff have been getting clogged in the sensor? I think Im going to take my other upper intake manny from my old boosted 420a and clean it out and put that one in the car and see if that changes anything, so Ill have a brand new map sensor and clean intake manny. I hope that was the cause of the problem. I cant imagine either way that that crap is good for the engine.

xrac3rxJun-23-11 04:25 PM
Member since Oct 31st 2010
29 posts,
#134395, "RE: Rough idle/limp mode?"
In response to Reply # 9

This seems like the same problem i had, and kinda still have. I threw a ton of new sensors at it! Don't do that! Your wasting your money. One sensor that I changed that made the biggest difference was the IAC. It helped a lot. It makes sense to, if your going lean, the IAC is letting more air past than it should. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Unfortunately, my car still does this, but not nearly as bad.

Oh yea, that carbon and oily junk in your intake mani is normal for a car as old as ours.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #134377 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic