Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127717
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Rough idle after complete 420a rebuild." Previous topic | Next topic
quikshotSep-12-09 03:47 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2009
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127717, "Rough idle after complete 420a rebuild."
Sep-12-09 03:49 PM by quikshot

Hi guys,

I am new to the forums, but I thought someone here could help me to get my eclipse idling correctly. I recently rebuilt the engine with new pistons, rings, rods, water pump, oil pump, pretty much a complete rebuild. Other mods it has are unorthodox underdrive pulley, AEM intake, Greddy SP2 exhaust, megan headers, and magnaflow catalytic converter, all of which were added at the time of rebuild. Also, new spark plugs, wires, and coil were added. I tried re-using the old coil and plugs from before the rebuild but the problem still existed

The problem is that the engine lopes at idle and seems like it wants to stall, but runs fine at 1500 RPM and up. It did not do this before the rebuild so I think it was something I did but I have checked everything I can think of. Vacuum hoses appear to be in the correct locations. I checked the resistance of the Idle Air Control motor and the Throttle Position Sensor on the throttle body and they are within spec. If you guys have any idea on how to help, please post. I will try to post a sound clip so you have an idea of what I am talking about.

Thanks,
Mark

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RoninEclipse2GSep-12-09 04:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127718, "RE: Rough idle after complete 420a rebuild."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd bet that you forgot to bleed the coolant system for air bubbles. They get caught behind the T-stat and freak out the temp sensor. It causes the ECU to freak out and makes the engine run like crap at low RPMs.

Another thing to check is the timing of the engine. Sometimes higher rpms can mask misaligned timing.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

daes_vengeSep-12-09 05:27 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#127719, "RE: Rough idle after complete 420a rebuild."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Another thing to check is the timing of the engine. Sometimes higher rpms can mask misaligned timing.

+1

Timing is likely off.

quikshotSep-12-09 05:57 PM
3 posts,
#127720, "RE: Rough idle after complete 420a rebuild."
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the help guys. I did not bleed the cooling system, just filled it up and went. But I looked in my Hanes manual and it says to fire it up without the radiator cap on and let the thermostat open. Then let the engine cool and refill the coolant and squeeze the upper hose to remove bubbles. Is this the method you guys used?

Thanks again for the help.

dalesmitsuSep-12-09 07:05 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#127724, "RE: Rough idle after complete 420a rebuild."
In response to Reply # 3

yup, thats the method I use when I do a flush/fill.

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-13-09 02:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#127731, "RE: Rough idle after complete 420a rebuild."
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-13-09 03:00 AM by bullettdsm

In probably 90% of these cases (yup, I just made that number up ), its the timing.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

quikshotSep-13-09 01:36 PM
3 posts,
#127734, "RE: Rough idle after complete 420a rebuild."
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for the help guys. I bled the coolant system and took it out for a drive and it idles perfect, but now the CEL is on. I'll take it to autozone and see what the code says.

Thanks again,
Mark

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127717 Previous topic | Next topic