Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127178
View in threaded mode

Subject: "EGR Blockoff Q's" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
740 turbo brickAug-10-09 05:38 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127178, "EGR Blockoff Q's"

I just put a block off plate on my car. I would have left the EGR on there, but with these cams the tube was getting way too hot. I was just driving around with it unhooked, but I figured this would make it official.

I have heard of some people just using the block off plate for the head, leaving the valve connnected to open air so it works just like its supposed to, but its pulling in clean air instead of Exhaust gas. I tried this out, only to find when I shift gears, my engine revs up to about 4k. It does this until I stop, and I can hear the EGR close off when it does. Am I doing it wrong? I just wanted to do it that way to avoid the CEL. If it wont work that way I will probably just install the other plate and get rid of the whole EGR system, CEL be damned..

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
420agreenvilleSCAug-10-09 05:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127181, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 0

welcome to the CEL club. either keep the entire system, or get rid of it. It can't be halfassed. My opinion? put the plates on.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ebster1085Aug-10-09 07:05 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#127186, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 1

I agree with Mike. Use block off plates on both sides. If you are worried about passing inspection and that is why you need to keep the CEL off, there is a little trick you can use. Keep just the harness plugged in, that stops the initial CEL from coming on. Then if you drive the car above 3/4 of a gas tank or below 1/4 of a gas tank, the emissions tables will not populate and you will not trigger the second CEL which goes on when the computer checks to see if the EGR system is running correctly.

In other words, if you have an inspection coming up, just make sure to keep the gas tank above 3/4 tank for a while and the CEL will not be triggered.

If I am wrong someone please correct me..

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

RoninEclipse2GAug-10-09 07:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#127187, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 0

You have to put a pretty restrictive filter on the system otherwise it acts like an ENORMOUS vacuum leak (cause it is). Cigarette filters work pretty good, kinda like on a missing link.

I'll try to take pics of my setup this weekend.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

cjackson2802Sep-01-09 11:23 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2009
4 posts,
#127500, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 3

Lol cigarette butts. I just bolted the plates up. $10 shipped off ebay cant beat it. I could care less about the CEL. Its been on since I bought the car cause o2 sensor but once I fixed that I put the block off plates on the egr and the CEL just took time getting used to.

freelancefoolSep-01-09 09:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#127518, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 0

There was talk once about putting the block off plates on the car with the EGR still connected. Drill a small hole in the plate for the intake manifold and bolt the EGR tube back up. Bolt the plate to the block, but don't attach the EGR to the block. This way when the EGR opens up, you are letting a small amount of fresh air into the manifold and the ECU thinks that the EGR flow is good, but it is cycling fresh air into the motor.

Search for a while and you can find this post.

My Blog

420agreenvilleSCSep-02-09 03:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#127529, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by freelancefool
There was talk once about putting the block off plates on the car with the EGR still connected. Drill a small hole in the plate for the intake manifold and bolt the EGR tube back up. Bolt the plate to the block, but don't attach the EGR to the block. This way when the EGR opens up, you are letting a small amount of fresh air into the manifold and the ECU thinks that the EGR flow is good, but it is cycling fresh air into the motor. Search for a while and you can find this post.

yessss... but does it workkkk?

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModifiedElementSep-10-09 01:12 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2007
17 posts,
#127668, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 1

I have had plates on mine for over a year, had a CEL for about a week... then it just went away...

It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked

TuxdreamerxSep-10-09 02:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#127669, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 6

Someone I know apprentley did an EGR block off and avoided the CEL buy putting resisters on the wiring or something. I will find out and report back.

freakingbori617Sep-17-09 10:20 AM
Member since Jul 19th 2009
80 posts,
#127771, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 8

i actually just blocked it off all together and the only cel i have is my evap. no egr cel.....I have no idea why it didnt come up. i must be a lucky one.

Ebster1085Sep-21-09 09:42 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#127819, "RE: EGR Blockoff Q's"
In response to Reply # 9

A guy a know on cardomain also used this resistor method and said it worked. This is what he said:

Turns out it just needs a 100ohm 10w resistor and the ecu is happy. It looks pretty inventive but hell it works.

I am going to follow up with him and get more details..

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127178 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic