Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #121406
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.." This topic is locked.
1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
FryguyMar-24-04 09:51 AM
Member since Oct 02nd 2002
55 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#121406, "Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."

I've got a bossal brospeed on my 97 RS, came with the car when I bought it from a friend. In a year and a half I've gotten 2 tickets for excessive exhaust noise, and I've got inspection coming up in april and I don't feel like paying off somebody an extra $30ish for the sticker, and the ticket will go away if I appeal it and show I have a legal exhaust, that's another $50.

So realistically I have $80ish to start to spend on an exhaust, and can go up a fair amount from there. Keep in mine this is a street-driven eclipse, and I doubt full exhaust or anything is going to be worth it to me, yet I'd feel bad spending $$ to go back to bare stock and lose power.

So what should I do? Will going back to stock from an aftermarket muffler really change anything (I bought the car with the muffler already, so I never felt the diff between the 2). If so, what type of legal solutions do I have, solutions that won't anger cops/inspection people.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
95_ESi_PersonMar-24-04 09:53 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#121407, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-24-04 09:56 AM by 95_ESi_Person

is it just the muffler on there or is it a whole cat-back?

I was gonna say, if it was the cat back and your were somewhere near chigago I'd trade you at the up-coming meet, but profile says Mass.

If it's just the muffler go to a muffler shop and see if anyone has a "leftover muffler from a replacement". why would a muffler make you fail inspection? more likely than not its a 50 state legal muffler, if so, add a resonator to your piping to quiet it down.

FryguyMar-24-04 10:20 AM
55 posts,
#121408, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 1

I don't have a silencer, and inspection people won't pass it because of the loudness of it.

What about doing something like a quiet exhaust with 2.5" catback piping? Would this work?

eclipse_99rsMar-24-04 10:21 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#121409, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 1

I have a bosal brospeed and i dont think its loud at all. Infact it can be mistaken for stock.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

FryguyMar-24-04 10:26 AM
55 posts,
#121410, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 3

well mine is QUITE loud, one of the loudest exhausts I've ever heard around (one of my friends owns a mustang w/ no cats, and it's obviously not as loud as hers, but it's in the vicinity)

95_ESi_PersonMar-24-04 10:31 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#121411, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 4

add resonators to the piping, it should help

woo2gnt97Mar-24-04 11:38 AM
Member since Nov 06th 2002
1362 posts,
#121412, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 5

imo, just buy a gst cat back and bolt it on for the time being. I had a full 3 inch custom exhaust with a pretty obnoxious muffler with big ricer tips before when I had aspirations of going turbo in the near future. It was just too loud and I finally got pinned with the fix it ticket last summer and took it off.

The gst is very quiet in comparison and there is only a little bit of a power difference. In fact, it seems faster in the low rpms but slower in the high rpms. I am auto though, so it didn't show a whole lot. I think I paid like $70 for it. imo, just buy one from a turbo dsm'er and save until you can afford a 50 state legal greddy or apex'i of some sort.

------------------------------
97 Eclipse RS auto *SOLD* - super 15g 92 3000GT VR4 - t3/t4 60 trim 95 Talon TSI AWD

FryguyMar-24-04 11:44 AM
55 posts,
#121413, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 6

Get the whole GS-T catback? what is the size difference in the piping? I'm just looking for a solution that works, I mean this is a daily street driver, I'm not racing it or anything so..

UberingramMar-24-04 01:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#121414, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Fryguy
Get the whole GS-T catback? what is the size difference in the piping? I'm just looking for a solution that works, I mean this is a daily street driver, I'm not racing it or anything so..

It works and is right up your alley. The twin tipped exhuast tips are a nice touch and are nice to look at. Bolt on affair.

FryguyMar-24-04 11:36 AM
55 posts,
#121415, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 1

what about if I want to go catback? What is the best cheap, 50-state legal, quiet catback system?

JWoodleyMar-24-04 12:16 PM
Member since Mar 27th 2003
2335 posts,
#121416, "RE: Best legal exhaust solution - just whacked by 50 for 2nd time for exhaust.."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Fryguy
what about if I want to go catback? What is the best cheap, 50-state legal, quiet catback system?

Greddy EVO gets very quiet at highway speeds.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #121406 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic