Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #116419
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
TheRedBarrenFeb-25-08 04:35 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2007
61 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116419, "Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"

I got my Walbro HP fuel pump today in the mail to I decided to go head and put it on. One less thing to do before my turbo install right?! Wrong.

I got the FP installed and everything in the bracket but the problem I had was the rubber fuel supply hose broke on me. I thought the hose end was suppose to swivel but I guess I just twisted the hose.. till it broke. I looked around and for the life of me I cannot find a stock replacement ... so I want to convert it to a SS line but I have questions...

What is the ID of the hardline that is on top of the FP? The supply one. What size of SS line should I used? -6 AN? And what the hell kind of end is this... have never seen one like it before, and where to get it? PICS

Sorry for the book.. I just want to do this right the first time and forget about it. THANKS

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-25-08 05:00 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116420, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 0

The top of the fuel pump is 5/16 which translates to -5AN. YOu have a 95 i see (based on the fuel pump bracket). You have only a couple options.

1. Order a factory rubber line.

2. Cut off the crimped sleeve and use the hose-end as a barb and clamp whatever hose you want. So far I have not been able to find a fitting like that to make it a simple bolt on affair for AN fittings. I have made adapters but I dont like the bulkiness of the setup.

3. Find a 96+ fuel pump bracket, cut the end off and double flare it with a tube sleeve and -5AN nut. You will need a -5AN/-6AN union and then you can run -6AN stainless from that. You will need a Banjo for the other end by the fuel filter. If you dont have the tools to flare the line on the fuel pump hanger, send it to me and I will do it for you for nothin. I used the have spare already done but the ass i sent it to never sent me a stocker back to setup.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

foggy45Feb-25-08 05:09 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#116421, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-25-08 05:42 PM by foggy45

your looking for a -6AN to metric female flare fitting (i've been loking through the Aeroquip catalog for this and i dont have a clue what would fit without trial and error)
if you have an Aeroquip dealer or Air/Hydraulics supply place that will build lines, you could take it to them and have them find the proper adapter for ya.
(hmmm when it gets warmer i might go to the junkyard and rip a pump out and see if i can get a difinitive part number for this)

the one on the pump is an Inverted flare and IS NOT a 37* SAE flare

most people end up hacking off the fitting abd brazing on a -6AN fitting. i would recomend that!
just remember that you need to add in a fuel filter after the pump and before the rail. i use Aeromotive ones with the replacable filter but there are cheaper ones out there, just make sure its for Fuel Injected engines and it should be a 10 micron filter.

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-25-08 05:30 PM
8331 posts,
#116422, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 2

Brazing huh......Brazing is just stupid mmkay....

foggy45Feb-25-08 05:45 PM
1032 posts,
#116423, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 3

ahh shit! i knew that! damnit stupid foggy

yes tube nuts and flaring are much better idea then brazing a fuel line fitting

i'll go back to feeding my baby now . . .

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

nicerydezFeb-26-08 03:36 AM
Member since Jan 18th 2008
22 posts,
#116424, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah i had the exact same thing happen to me, it is not too expensive to fix.. i'm at work right now, but i get off in like 4 hours.. i will give you all the fitting sizes, part numbers and product names.. but what i did was i used a pipe cutter on the hardline (the side you still have the rubber hose connected too) and i installed all new fitting from that point to the fuel pump.. the only reason was because i crimped the line trying to take that last section off..

man, it's too bad.. i had an extra piece too.. the part that connects to the pump side.. and i took it back.. didn't think i would need it..

but i think in total, i spent about $50 for the whole thing..

TheRedBarrenFeb-26-08 11:51 AM
61 posts,
#116425, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by nicerydez
Yeah i had the exact same thing happen to me, it is not too expensive to fix.. i'm at work right now, but i get off in like 4 hours.. i will give you all the fitting sizes, part numbers and product names.. but what i did was i used a pipe cutter on the hardline (the side you still have the rubber hose connected too) and i installed all new fitting from that point to the fuel pump.. the only reason was because i crimped the line trying to take that last section off.. man, it's too bad.. i had an extra piece too.. the part that connects to the pump side.. and i took it back.. didn't think i would need it.. but i think in total, i spent about $50 for the whole thing..

Please get back with me. I would like to put a tube fitting on the fp.. but I dont know what I would do about the other end of the hose. See the last pic.

Also why would I need to add in a fuel filter?? I have a 95 so my fuel filter is up by the firewall, and not under the car.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

foggy45Feb-26-08 12:11 PM
1032 posts,
#116426, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 6
Feb-26-08 12:12 PM by foggy45

Originally posted by TheRedBarren
I have a 95 so my fuel filter is up by the firewall, and not under the car.

some people that go with SS fuel lines dont like dealing with the banjo fittings on the fuel filter and find adding an inline one is easier then finding the adapters.
however i honestly am used to my 96 and cant remember if the 95's have the same type of banjo's or if there straight screw ins

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-26-08 01:33 PM
8331 posts,
#116427, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 7
Feb-26-08 01:33 PM by Star Turbo Talon

you would need to cut and flare the line under the car in the same fashoin the fuel pump would be done. use a 5an-6an union and run your hose right to it.

I was thinking of the 96 fuel filter.

TheRedBarrenFeb-26-08 01:40 PM
61 posts,
#116428, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-27-08 07:33 AM by TheRedBarren

Never mind guys, I just ripped my line off of my Talon parts car I needed my car running ASAP so I just took this route...

THANKS

ALSO for future reference if anyone else has this problem, I finally found a OEM part # for the hose MR134863. Its quite expensive $50... a rip if you ask me.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

ChamukoFeb-27-08 08:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#116429, "RE: Convert Rubber fuel supply line hose from Fuel Pump to SS?"
In response to Reply # 9

that why I love being in LA.

http://www.mrhose.com/

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #116419 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic