Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #112867
View in threaded mode

Subject: "2.4l swap" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic
injendsmJun-28-05 05:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6844 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#112867, "2.4l swap"

has anyone done it since turby? im just curious if there have been any new developments in this swap that would make it possible to have it done without a lot of downtime.

www.gregsorrells.com

http://ubanimator.com>

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-28-05 05:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#112868, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 0

Sure, it can be sone with out a lot of downtime... if you are just looking to get a running 2.4L motor in the engine bay. it's fabing or finding brackets for the accessories that takes a long time.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BumpinTalonJun-28-05 05:58 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#112869, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
Sure, it can be sone with out a lot of downtime... if you are just looking to get a running 2.4L motor in the engine bay. it's fabing or finding brackets for the accessories that takes a long time.

power steering is for pussies and so is AC, so this shouldn't be a problem for most men

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

turbo8uJun-28-05 07:01 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#112870, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-28-05 07:04 AM by turbo8u

its actually not a very hard swap at all but you definately need a proper workspace and a little fabrication skills.

a lot of the swap is fabrication, so if you don't weld or work with metal a lot its probably going to take longer because you're going to have to have peices made.

ive done it twice now, and honestly its not that hard. a lot of 2gnt parts are used actually.

also, you can use the stock 2gnt PS bracket with minor modification to clear the thermostat housing.

without PS, id hate my car

just as soon as i start my ICAR welding class, i'll likely finalize my swap kit and start selling it here. it'll be a hell of a lot easier using the school's welders and metal and not mine. id use it as a project, so id get graded for it too...which is good. i got ripped off for a motor mount though by someone here, and it really just put a sour taste in my mouth so i said fuck it and abandoned the idea of doing swap kits.

oh, and just food for thought....you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-28-05 07:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#112871, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by turbo8u
you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.

Right, if you use the stratus side motor bracket, which necessitates using a Hydro tensioner, which means you have to use a Stratus or Caravan oilpump... blah blah blah.

The only real problem with the 2.4L swap is that you need to know what you're doing. it'll probably never be a "buy a kit, swap the motor in" affair. You need an ultimate goal in mind from the very start, because a lot of your choice in parts will dictate what else you can and cannot use down the road.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

turbo8uJun-28-05 08:58 AM
10552 posts,
#112872, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by turbo8u you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.
Right, if you use the stratus side motor bracket, which necessitates using a Hydro tensioner, which means you have to use a Stratus or Caravan oilpump... blah blah blah.

this isnt entirely correct.

i used the srt-4 tensioner. you dont need to use the stratus motor mount bracket, thats 2gnt as well...shaved to clear the timing belt and use longer bolts. the actual mounting of the motor mount to the chasis is where the fabrication comes in.

also as far as the oil pump is concerned, we need to use the stratus or NT oil pump because of the location of the oil filter its just a LOT easier. this doesnt have anything to do with the motor mount though

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-28-05 09:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#112873, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by turbo8u you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.
this isnt entirely correct. i used the srt-4 tensioner. you dont need to use the stratus motor mount bracket, thats 2gnt as well...shaved to clear the timing belt and use longer bolts. the actual mounting of the motor mount to the chasis is where the fabrication comes in. also as far as the oil pump is concerned, we need to use the stratus or NT oil pump because of the location of the oil filter its just a LOT easier. this doesnt have anything to do with the motor mount though

You have your way, i have mine. I'd never use a Stratus oilpump, though - i hate that damn aluminum projection oil filter mount.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

CarbonFiberRSTJun-28-05 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#112874, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 6

Yay, some info about this I can use. Even though I am in the middle of rebuilding my 2.0 I still want to do the 2.4 swap... I just need to learn more about it. Keep the stuff comeing... Turbo, since you've done it twice can you do a right up of the method you used for the swap, not necisarilly going into great detail on the actual fab work as far as templates and all go but just general description of everything you need and stuff? and post it on the main site? and maybe dino can make his own too?

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

ModeratormicyekJun-28-05 10:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#112875, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 4

Why would you have to use a hydrotensioner when '96 and earlier came with a mechinical tensioner. Or would guys not suggest to use that tensioner?

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-28-05 10:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#112876, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by micyek
Originally posted by DarkOne Right, if you use the stratus side motor bracket, which necessitates using a Hydro tensioner, which means you have to use a Stratus or Caravan oilpump... blah blah blah.
Why would you have to use a hydrotensioner when '96 and earlier came with a mechinical tensioner. Or would guys not suggest to use that tensioner?

From what i have read, the hydro tensioner is preferable to the early mechanical tensioner, because the hydro tensioner maintains more tension on the belt. i have no experience with the early mechanical tensioner, however.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

turbo8uJun-28-05 11:55 AM
10552 posts,
#112877, "RE: 2.4l swap"
In response to Reply # 9
Jun-28-05 11:57 AM by turbo8u

yea there are a lot of ways to do the same thing

the swap is still in the beginning phases, i think within the next year or so we'll see a lot more people jumping on the bandwagon as more and more parts come out and more R&D is done.

i'll be pushing it anyway

the stratus oil pump works well though, i used stockums old ported pump and i guess he said he got a few more psi of oil pressure by porting it. i remote located the oil filter and cooler anyway though, so it doesnt matter now.

there's a lot of ways to do this swap, i know of 4 swappers who have all done it different. but hey, its custom as fuck...so thats a bonus too, no one has anything like it...

edit: oh, and i used the srt-4 tensioner and so far so good. ive actually gathered more knowledge about the 2.4 swap from neons.org than anywhere else...those guys rock

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #112867 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic