Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #108177
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
ezMar-23-08 03:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108177, "Poll question: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
Mar-23-08 03:55 PM by ez

This is a 95RS I bought to restore. The original engine had rod knock, so replaced the engine.

I bought the *new* engine from someone in the forces, he told me the engine was okay and that it had a rebuilt head. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've started the engine, finally took her our for a drive around the block. Lucky me, there is a knock that comes on about 1500RPM and I can hear to like 4000RPM, and then it either disappears or I can't here it over the exhaust. It's loud. Here's the video:

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/ez1_03/?action=view¤t=HPIM0046.flv

The first time I started the engine, there was a throw-out-bearing kind of knock sound (it only made the noise at idle, when the clutch pedal was pressed the noise went away.) This noise sounds very different. So, tell me straight up - does this sound like rod knock?

I was ready to sell the car. Now I may have to waste several more weekends

Poll result (7 votes)
Rod bearing (7 votes)Vote
Lifter (0 votes)Vote
throw out bearing (0 votes)Vote

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
KnightHawk434thMar-23-08 04:45 PM
Member since May 14th 2007
149 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108178, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-23-08 04:46 PM by KnightHawk434th

Sorry to say, but that sounds much like a rod knock. Lifter tick isn't that loud, and I'm not so sure a TOB would produce that loud of a knock. Good luck! If you want to get rid of it, I might take it . I need a good project car.

-Ben
Black 1999 RS

Basic mods and a South Bend OFE-SS Clutch
~150bhp.....for now!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dj_lethrowMar-23-08 05:07 PM
Member since Mar 30th 2004
46 posts,
#108179, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 1

Kinda sounds like rod knock also, but the video sound quality isn't the best so I'm kinda thinking valves hitting.

GringoEJSMar-23-08 08:05 PM
Member since Sep 06th 2005
30 posts,
#108180, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

Any chance you can get a better quality video. I work on these ALL the time and it doesn't sound like a rod knock to me-rod knock is a much deeper sound. It sounds to me like your 4 18mm bolts holding your clutch assembly to the flex plate are loose. Remove the dust shield and check those bolts. If they are loose, pull each one out at a time and put thread lock on them, and tighten them in.
Good luck

ezMar-24-08 05:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#108182, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-24-08 05:27 AM by ez

Originally posted by GringoEJS
Any chance you can get a better quality video. I work on these ALL the time and it doesn't sound like a rod knock to me-rod knock is a much deeper sound. It sounds to me like your 4 18mm bolts holding your clutch assembly to the flex plate are loose. Remove the dust shield and check those bolts. If they are loose, pull each one out at a time and put thread lock on them, and tighten them in. Good luck

Thanks for your input. Something in the back of my mind was telling me that it was possibly those 4 bolts, but the thing is I used blue loctite on those bolts and torqued them down (I think I used chilton's to find the torque specs... or maybe these were the bolts that there were no published specs on - I can't remember.)

So rod knock is lower in frequency? What's also kind of strange (and maybe goes against this being rod knock) is that the sounds seems to go away at somewhere around 4000-5000 rpm. I would think you'd hear rod knock all the way to redline and it would get louder and louder. Also, I don't here it at idle. It's only there when I hit the gas.

I can't do another video right now b/c the car is at my parents house. It's hard to capture a good representative sound on a video camera.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

2GeclipseRSMar-24-08 05:43 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#108183, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 4

You've got two 2gnt's right? Fix it. Dont sell it. You'll just end up regretting it.

I can't tell you how many times i've wanted to sell mine.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-24-08 06:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108184, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 5

Sounds like rod knock. Go after it with a mechanic's stethoscope, see if you can better isolate where the noise is coming from.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ezMar-24-08 08:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#108186, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 6

I don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, but I do have a regular stethoscope. *ez wonders if it will work*

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-24-08 08:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108187, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by ez
I don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, but I do have a regular stethoscope. *ez wonders if it will work*

Sure! Might be a little loud, though.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

KnightHawk434thMar-24-08 04:29 PM
Member since May 14th 2007
149 posts,
#108190, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 8

You could always use a broom handle and hold one end to the block and the other to your ear. It's the poor man's stethoscope but works! Lol.

-Ben
Black 1999 RS

Basic mods and a South Bend OFE-SS Clutch
~150bhp.....for now!

eclipsekaiserMar-25-08 10:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#108198, "RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks"
In response to Reply # 7

hahahahaha don't forget to press harder to get them low frequency sounds .

I have spare cheapy ones that we can hack up for expermenting from central service, or we can just go ut and buy one.

-K-

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #108177 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic