Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #123783
View in threaded mode

Subject: "ScanGauge II" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
NemoJan-29-09 10:34 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123783, "ScanGauge II"

I installed a ScanGauge II in my 97 RS today. Mounted it under my radio on a flat panel that was there. They're simple to hook up and do a whole lot of neat computations. I'm sure you all know. I bought it mainly for the scan tool feature and true to it's word it told me I had a 0442 code on my CEL.

Unfortunately though it won't CLEAR the code and turn off my CEL which is what I wanted the most out of it. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case you're considering getting one for that very reason.

I'll try to contact the manufacturer to see if they know how to overide the problem. Their manual makes it sound like if I got the dreaded blank screen after tring to clear it was more or less SOL.

Could just be my car or perhaps a 97 problem. Sure like to hear from someone that can actually use the Clear function.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
azdaveJan-30-09 07:04 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123784, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 0

I've had a Scangauge since they were first released and it has never failed to clear any codes (unless the problem still existed).

Are you sure you just aren't seeing the code reappear immediately after you attempt to clear it? I can't say I have specifically tried to clear a 0442 code but the only time mine has not cleared a code permanently was when I hadn't fixed the issue first.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NemoJan-30-09 11:41 AM
366 posts,
#123785, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Dave. Thanks for the insight. No, I have not fixed the 442 code yet. It's a general EVAP code. All I know is when I push "Yes" to clear, the screen goes blank.

I contacted Linear Logic, the manufacturer, and they said I did the steps correctly. They also said the CLEAR function definitely works on all our cars.

They are sending me a new replacement unit and a prepaid envelope to return the one I have today. I'll reply here again and let you know if that did the trick.

azdaveJan-30-09 01:41 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#123786, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Nemo
I contacted Linear Logic, the manufacturer, and they said I did the steps correctly. They are sending me a new replacement unit and a prepaid envelope to return the one I have today. I'll reply here again and let you know if that did the trick.

They are a good group over there. I live just about one mile from them and they always do any software updates for free.

adamztyJan-30-09 02:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#123787, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 3

How do you expect it to clear the code if it is not fixed?

NemoJan-30-09 05:00 PM
366 posts,
#123788, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 3

That's most excellent. Yeah, they treated me very pokitely and professional too.

NemoJan-30-09 05:04 PM
366 posts,
#123789, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 4

It was my understanding it will reset (clear) the codes for a short time only. Like my evap problem. After it resets it takes x amount of miles to be smog ready. Hopefully you'll get the cert in that small window of time before the CEL comes back. Correct me if I'm spinning, lol, I do take alot of meds.

740 turbo brickJan-30-09 11:44 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#123795, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 5

Nemo, I have to thank you for showing this thing to me. I have never heard of it, but after reading about them you bet your ass Im going to be getting one. They look pretty bad ass. And they are actually cheaper than a code scanner you can buy at Autozone.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

NemoJan-31-09 12:24 AM
366 posts,
#123796, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, they are pretty neat. Ebay has them all the time and the new ones all have the Xgauge software upgrade. I'm still trying to figure out all they do. It's not difficult; just alot. I've seen the used ones go for around $140 but I'd go new for $160 just because. I was fortunate to scoop a new one for $105 shipped from a private party but that was just dumb luck being in the right place at the right time. The people at Linear Logic, the manufacturer, are great too and provide personal type support. I'm sold.

halfasss101Feb-06-09 09:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#123940, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 8

Does it just stay stuck on a blank screen when you try to clear the code? Mine does that sometimes when the car is running, couple times when it was off with key in the on position. I'm fairly satisfied with the gauge. Update rates are very slow (even when it is set to fast). I wanted the aeroforce scangauge but its taking them forever and a day to come out with ISO format (Mitsu,Subi,toyota,etc). It only displays 2 gauges at once, but update rate is constant. For example, RPM on the gauge moves with the needle on the tach perfectly. Also does 1/4 mile times and now does HP i believe (more accurately than the scangauge 2. I called linear logic about the slow update rate, and they said it cant get any faster since the ecu only asks so many questions per second. 2 or 4 questions/sec. cant remember. But my laptop software is way faster even when i have 9 gauges put up on my laptop. I'll probably get rid of my scangauge and go with aeroforce if it ever comes out since it has enhanced interface options that aren't reported through general OBD2 such as knock (which is what i want)and it can record and add additional gauges such as wideband, egt, and more. Recording everything on one gauge will make tuning a breeze

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

NemoFeb-06-09 10:14 PM
366 posts,
#123941, "RE: ScanGauge II"
In response to Reply # 9

That aerogauge sounds hot. I'll have to check it out.

Just got my new replacement ScanGauge in the late mail. Tomorow I'll stick it in and see if I can clear the code temorarily without fixing the problem;

And yes, when I tried to clear the code before, I always got the blank screen. I did it with the motor running each time but I'll try it with the motor off (never thought of that) before I do the swap.

Thanks

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #123783 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic