Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #113579
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Previous topic | Next topic
WheatKingJul-08-03 03:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#113579, "Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."

Just an idea i had.. passed it by gary howell.. not something i'm going to do myself.. perhaps someone here might be interested.

Take a 2.4L block.. put a 2.0L crankshaft in it and destroke the engine.

The rods would need to be approx 1" longer.. the long rod/short throw should be good for a 12,000 rpm + screamer if you were so inclined.

Of course you'd need aftermarket ECU.. but this would be an engine that could make close to 300hp NA when your done.

Again.. just an idea for the ones with the time/$

-- WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings
1 - Jeep to tow em home when they break

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Joshua97478Jul-08-03 05:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#113580, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 0

>Just an idea i had.. passed it by gary howell.. not something
>i'm going to do myself.. perhaps someone here might be
>interested.
>
>Take a 2.4L block.. put a 2.0L crankshaft in it and destroke
>the engine.
>
>The rods would need to be approx 1" longer.. the long
>rod/short throw should be good for a 12,000 rpm + screamer if
>you were so inclined.
>
>Of course you'd need aftermarket ECU.. but this would be an
>engine that could make close to 300hp NA when your done.
>
>Again.. just an idea for the ones with the time/$
>
>-- WheatKing

I've thought of this idea before... i like it... No reason to believe that this would be any more expensive than your normal hi performance rebuild. Do you think your average billet rods would hold up or would you maybe want to spring for titanium conrods to hold up better at high rpms,(at about 2-3k per set of 4)? Some Huge cams... or turbo powah...... I wish my wallet was as big as my to do list.

"Michael_97RS: Why bother, you'd have an easier time getting Mother Theresa to give you head than getting MrLocalPimp to behave."

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

WheatKingJul-08-03 06:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#113581, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 1

>I've thought of this idea before... i like it... No reason to
>believe that this would be any more expensive than your normal
>hi performance rebuild. Do you think your average billet rods
>would hold up or would you maybe want to spring for titanium
>conrods to hold up better at high rpms,(at about 2-3k per set
>of 4)? Some Huge cams... or turbo powah...... I wish my wallet
>was as big as my to do list.

You'd want the smallest, lightest, ti rods you could get.. AL might work too.. the less mass the better when your whipping the pistons around at 12K rpm..

-- WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings

theallpowerfulmeJul-08-03 07:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#113582, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 2

wheatking, you got aim? My name on there is theallpowerfulhe, hit me up.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

WheatKingJul-08-03 08:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#113583, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 3

>wheatking, you got aim? My name on there is theallpowerfulhe,
>hit me up.

Helps if your actually on aim.. hahaha

What you want?

-- WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings

BlmetJul-09-03 07:35 AM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
328 posts,
#113584, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 4

First a question: Do longer rods help to reach higher rpm? Seems to me longer rods would have more mass and lead to lower revs. If this is so why don't you just do this to the 2.0 block?

ok, now my concerns.

1) Cams, we have no form of variable valve control and we already start to lose power over 5k rpm. In order to make any power at 12000 rpm you would need one mean nasty set of cams, problem with this is you will have shitty low rpm performance and bad idle.

2) Tranny, I dunno how much on an issue this is, but trannies have a limit too. The automatic tranny is redlined at 6500 rpm, now even if you have a manual, none of the synchronizers are designed to shift at 12k rpm.

WheatKingJul-09-03 08:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#113585, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 5

>First a question: Do longer rods help to reach higher rpm?
>Seems to me longer rods would have more mass and lead to lower
>revs. If this is so why don't you just do this to the 2.0
>block?
>
>ok, now my concerns.
>
>1) Cams, we have no form of variable valve control and we
>already start to lose power over 5k rpm. In order to make any
>power at 12000 rpm you would need one mean nasty set of cams,
>problem with this is you will have shitty low rpm performance
>and bad idle.
>
>2) Tranny, I dunno how much on an issue this is, but trannies
>have a limit too. The automatic tranny is redlined at 6500
>rpm, now even if you have a manual, none of the synchronizers
>are designed to shift at 12k rpm.

HEEHEH..

#1) USE A BIG CAM.. this would be a race engine not something you'd want to street.. aka.. if someone took an eclipse/neon into an all-motor race.. chassis's are cheap now..

2) no one in their right mind would use an automatic with an engine like this.

As for the long rods.. it changes the rod ratio.. the longer the rod, the less extreme the force vector on the crank journal is.

On a piece of paper.. draw a line vertically that's 2" long.. and one 90 degrees to the base 1" long.. the bottom line is the crank journal.. the top of the vertical line is the piston pin.. now connect the two..

Now draw a line 1" longer.. notice that the angle has decreased in relation the the crank journal and piston pin.. the more vertical, the easier it is to apply force. the big end of the rod still moves the same distance.. but the force vector from the explosion is reduced.

Long Ti rods

-- WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings

Teamner947Jul-11-03 09:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#113586, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 5

>2) Tranny, I dunno how much on an issue this is, but trannies
>have a limit too. The automatic tranny is redlined at 6500
>rpm, now even if you have a manual, none of the synchronizers
>are designed to shift at 12k rpm.

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/transmissions/fwd/32g.htm

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

BlmetJul-11-03 10:42 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
328 posts,
#113587, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 7

that is a race only transmission that has no reverse.

a_miller_76Jul-12-03 05:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#113588, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 8

Uhm...and did you see how much it costs? The money involved in this idea is far more than what is worth to make your car fast....shit....by the time your done with buying custom titanium rods and that tranny and bla bla bla to get this done you could just buy a fuckin viper.

Joshua97478Jul-12-03 07:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2662 posts,
#113589, "RE: Long rod engine.. aka RPM screamer.."
In response to Reply # 9
Jul-12-03 07:01 AM by Joshua97478

>Uhm...and did you see how much it costs? The money involved
>in this idea is far more than what is worth to make your car
>fast....shit....by the time your done with buying custom
>titanium rods and that tranny and bla bla bla to get this done
>you could just buy a fuckin viper.

Yeah... but just imagine the look on a viper owners face after he just got smoked by a "little 4 banger". There are somethings money can buy... for everything else, there's WHOOPASS.

"Michael_97RS: Why bother, you'd have an easier time getting Mother Theresa to give you head than getting MrLocalPimp to behave."

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #113579 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Previous topic | Next topic