Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #113481
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
98Turbo420AMar-19-03 01:04 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
80 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#113481, "Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"

So here it is, most of you don't know me because I haven't been on 2gnt.com in a very long time. My name is Jeff, I'm the NT wiseman from tuners.com.....I'm also the guy that will do things that everyone else says it impossible.

So here is the topic, I want to know who has thought about AWDing there 420A. Now I know we all WISH we could, but has anyone come up with decent ideas for doing it? I have thought of one, whether or not it will work is another story, and someone else on this board had at one time the same idea. It involves the tranny from an Evo with an adapter plate. Weather or not this will work is another story. BTW, I would want my car to stay a 5 speed. I have heard scuddlebut about someone using a van drivetrain to do it. However it was auto. I'm talking daily driven. So what are your thoughts my extreme tuner friends?

N/T Wiseman DSMTuners.com
N/T Guru Southeast DSM

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The1BillMar-19-03 02:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#113482, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 0

Welp, that Evo driveline was my idea. I am also a NT wiseman. I also do things that make people scratch their heads. Yeah, I think that we would get along just fine. I think that if the front and rear suspensions were changed to the AWD versions, and an adaptor plate was made, along with a custom clutch, custom driveshaft, and 4 custom halfshafts, it could be done. I don't have the fundage for this project at this time, though, so it is just a pipe dream.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ErikMar-19-03 04:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#113483, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 1

Well, A CAD drawing and a water-cut plate could be designed for relative low cost(less than 500). Shafts can be made by any local driveshaft shop for a relative low cost. So that leaves tranny, transfer case, and 2gAWD suspension. DSMtrader.com would probably help out quite a bit there. So my guess is about 2g's to get it done. Just a guess though.

Shit is all apart. Typical...

The1BillMar-19-03 06:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#113484, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 2

Another issue would be input shaft length. With the adaptor plate, I would be afraid of putting the input shaft too far away from the flywheel, although I think that a custom clutch might be able to compensate for it. Lastly, it would be tough to make everything mate together with the correct alignment.
-=B-=

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-19-03 07:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#113485, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 3

Tiugh, but possible. Anything is possible with enough money.

The fact is, the GSX rear suspension will bolt up to the back of our cars just fine from what i have seen and heard. The bolt holes are different, but still there on the RS/GS as far as i know. The "tunnel" for the driveshaft is there in some form, enough to be usable if you re-route the exhaust.

But that isn't the hard part. The trans would be the difficult part of it. Could you potentially make an EVO 4+ trans bolt up? I imagine so, with the right adapter plate and lots of cash. DO i think its feasable? No.. not really. In truth, i think RWD could be more easily done than AWD, and it's probably be a blast to drive.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

The1BillMar-19-03 08:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#113486, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 4

RWD wouldn't really be that much fun to drive. I know of someone who has just this done. He has a welded VC (Viscous Coupling), and for daily drivability, he pulls the front halfshafts, leaving the tripods in the transmission and the other ends in the hubs, but omitting everything in the back. It is WAY too tail happy, in every way. I spoke to him about this recently, in fact. I really think that the transmission that we would want to use would be one of the latest Evo transmissions, as the motor is on the same side, with the same rotational direction. I don't think that it would be all that tough to do, it would just take some lining up to make it work.
-=B-=

the_invinceMar-19-03 09:06 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2002
173 posts,
#113487, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm probably way off, but maybe this could give some ideas? http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Tranny-switchable.html

MotoFoolMar-19-03 09:51 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#113488, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 6

**scratches Head 2.4 turbo motor evo 7 tranny, and 2GNT in same sentance, do i hear autoX ?

this sound like a very fun project, im up for providing and helping witht he clutch who ever tries it get a clutch at cost..

and i can try and help to find a company to make adaptor plates for the trannies..

im thinking an hacked bellhousing...

that what we did with old GM trannyies just cut the bell housing and weld flange from one to the other..

Bill

*smirks how bout 2.6 litre 500hp AWD Esi talon hrmmmz that is a confusing sentance to a DsMer =))))**

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

JZA69Mar-21-03 07:28 AM
Member since Jul 28th 2002
373 posts,
#113489, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-21-03 09:23 AM by DarkOne

editted for useless input.

If you're not helping, what ARE you doing?

1997 Eclipse GS
AEM CAI
Apex'i N1 Catback
Greddy Header
5% window tint
Front-Rear-Lower Rear STB's
Yellow Painted Calipers
1st gen altezzas with original painted center piece
Soon-Tokico Illum's or Blues

98Turbo420AMar-21-03 08:43 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
80 posts,
#113490, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 8

>haha or u can buy a GSX....just my opinion.
I wish I had the ability to delete moronic posts....just my opinion!

N/T Wiseman DSMTuners.com
N/T Guru Southeast DSM

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-21-03 09:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#113491, "RE: Lets talk crazy drivetrain shall we!"
In response to Reply # 9

Yeah, well.. *i* do

Again, it is my opinion that RWD would be an easier confiuration than AWD. Think 2.4L Jeep Liberty trans.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #113481 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic