Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #126616
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Smoke on initial acceleration" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
nicho919Jul-15-09 02:52 AM
Member since Apr 12th 2009
93 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126616, "Smoke on initial acceleration"

Specifically, blue smoke. I can rev to seven grand and no smoke. Only on initial launch after idling. Compression good, and even. Pulls out hard, no stumbles. Drinks oil intermittantly. No water in oil, but a cup or two worth of water has gone from the overflow in a month. Using 10w30 premium oil. No excessive cc pressure or dipstick ejections. Seals, or rings, or hg or vc leaking through plugs?

Thanks,
Nacho

I'm broke, it's broken. I'm broke because it's broken. It's broken because I'm broke.

Simplicity Car Club - Founding Member

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ModeratortekleinJul-15-09 06:21 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#126618, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 0

Same symptoms as me, except my compression had alot of fluctuation.

What are your compression numbers?

BTW, here is what my stuff looked like:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GJul-15-09 11:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126623, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 1

based on that pic I can see which cylinder was leaking

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

nicho919Jul-15-09 02:14 PM
93 posts,
#126625, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 1

So head gasket probably. It would be #4 that was more likely to fail?

I'm broke, it's broken. I'm broke because it's broken. It's broken because I'm broke.

ModeratortekleinJul-15-09 02:38 PM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#126626, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
based on that pic I can see which cylinder was leaking

And which one was that Ronin

ModeratortekleinJul-15-09 02:39 PM
1699 posts,
#126627, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by nicho919
So head gasket probably. It would be #4 that was more likely to fail?

Post your compression numbers. Also, let it idle for like 15 minutes. It may eventually billow smoke.

420agreenvilleSCJul-15-09 02:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#126628, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 5

compression test cold and warm. also do a wet one.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

RoninEclipse2GJul-15-09 05:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#126629, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G based on that pic I can see which cylinder was leaking
And which one was that Ronin

Cylinders with considerably cleaner valves tend to be a good sign

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

nicho919Jul-27-09 06:59 PM
93 posts,
#126844, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 6

My compression numbers were 210, 212, 215, and 185. Wet, this jumped to 220. Any chance this is my head gasket? #4 dropped a buttload since when I last compression tested in April. If it's rings, it looks like I'll be doing the 2.4L EDZ swap a lot sooner.

nicho919Aug-08-09 04:45 AM
93 posts,
#127121, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 8

It's smoking. It's always white smoke at idle, and then oil smoke under load. But my bottle is never empty. I'm fearing the worst now, and guessing #4 ring is broken/worn. If that's the case.... how long do I have to drive this thing before the smoke becomes too thick, the oil drains too fast, or it becomes inoperable?

AdministratorCODE4Aug-08-09 07:18 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#127122, "RE: Smoke on initial acceleration"
In response to Reply # 9

There is no way for us to give you that answer over the internet. 1 day? 1 month? Shit, maybe 6 months.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #126616 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic