Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #109082
View in threaded mode

Subject: "anyone running e-85 besides me?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
96boostedRSTJun-23-08 05:53 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2007
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109082, "anyone running e-85 besides me?"

hey who out there is running e-85? i love it, just curious what people think of it..

285 horsepower/269. torque at 11 lbs boost(e-85tuned) stock internals.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
RoninEclipse2GJun-23-08 06:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109083, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 0

haven't set it up in the Eclipse yet but I'm planning on it when I go to MS. I do splash blend it in the subaru, all I need for a full conversion is a wally pump and STi injectors. if I really want to get the most out of it I can get the cobb acessport and tune it better for the E85. 20-30 hp MORE with a little tuning

as far as a solution for replacing fossil fuels it falls short. as a performance enhancer it's freaking awesome.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

96boostedRSTJun-23-08 07:25 AM
29 posts,
#109084, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 1

i found that when i went from 91 octane to e85 i gained quite a bit of horsepower, i went from 210hp on 91 to 235hp e85 tuned...i friggen love it. yeah i have a few friends with e85 in there wrx's and i have had it running in my eclipse for bout 4 months or so and no issue, no corrioson or anything

totaleclipse_05Jun-23-08 07:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#109085, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 2

Jungy has been on e85 for a while and as far as I know, loves it.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

TeamDR1665Jun-23-08 07:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#109086, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah. It's not much in terms of fossil fuel replacement, but it's nice to have the higher octane. How many miles you get on a tank with the e85 compared to 91? How have you modified the fuel system to handle the alcohol content?

96boostedRSTJun-23-08 08:02 AM
29 posts,
#109090, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 4

well i have 2 friends of mine that are pro tuners for eclipses mind me they are for 4g63 but same fuel line and tank setup, they say all that needs to be upgraded is fuel pump, filter and injectors, and prob a fpr, but i did all that exept the fpr, they say our fuel lines and tank withstand the corrosion so it works, and shouldnt have an issue, they have been running e85 on there 700hp eclipseand 1200 hp 1st gen eclipse for bout 2 years with no problem.

RoninEclipse2GJun-23-08 12:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#109099, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DR1665
How have you modified the fuel system to handle the alcohol content?

quick food for thought. regular fuel has contained ethanol since the late 70's since then fuel systems have been ethanol compatable, perhaps not in the concentrations that E85 represents but engineers don't tend to design things so that they're partially compatable
The type of alcohol that is associated with corrosion problems is METHANOL like you see used in top fuel dragsters. fuel grade ethanol has corrosion inhibitors in it.

there's a subaru guy I know that's been running E85 for over 100k now and hasn't run into a single problem

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

96boostedRSTJun-23-08 06:07 PM
29 posts,
#109102, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah thats why i love it, havnt had anyone complain bout it.

mojorobSep-12-09 12:15 AM
Member since Dec 26th 2008
6 posts,
#127707, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 96boostedRST
all that needs to be upgraded is fuel pump, filter and injectors, and prob a fpr, but i did all that exept the fpr, our fuel lines and tank withstand the corrosion so it works, and shouldnt have an issue

Why do the fuel injectors need to be replaced and with what kind, and what kind of filter?

Very interested in this for the power gains and money savings.

Thanks, Patrick

-------------------------
///Need ARP main studs\\\

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-12-09 01:51 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#127708, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 7

injectors need to be upgrade due to size.....it takes far more E-85 to accomplish the same AFR

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-12-09 06:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#127709, "RE: anyone running e-85 besides me?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sep-12-09 06:38 AM by bullettdsm

We don't have it around here

BUT, you do have a little more maintenance to do with E-85. Here's just a little something I pulled off of Link site;

http://www.dsmlink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40311

I don't know if you can access it, but it talks about (and shows) the gunk build up that you get with E-85.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #109082 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic