Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #119798
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Help? Timing off when car warms up" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
arsenaultalMar-20-07 09:19 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2007
6 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#119798, "Help? Timing off when car warms up"

Car:
- 1997 N/T Man Trans

Problem:
- Car starts and runs fine when cold...after idling for several minutes the car warms up and starts running like crap (feels like the timing is way off) until it dies and won't restart. After the car cools down I can do it all over again.

Things I've already checked:
- ECM Replaced (I have a spare from same year/ make/ model) No change.
- Coolant Temp Sensor replaced. No change
- IAT Sensor bypassed. No change
- Originally I thought it was a fuel problem. However the car has a new pump, and pump relay and the filter is clean.

It seems like a temp sensitive timing problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
knight ryda 99Mar-11-07 07:25 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2005
331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#119799, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 0

You sure you dont have a leak from the radiator hose that shorted out the new sensor? That seems to be the popular spot for the coolant to fall.

better than some... Greater than most

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

arsenaultalMar-12-07 03:59 AM
6 posts,
#119800, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 1

Nope, its all dry. Considering the symtoms I would've thought that sensor was doing it for sure.

What else can be effected by the vehicle temp and change the spark/fuel/timing?

YoMar-12-07 05:29 AM
Member since Dec 09th 2006
80 posts,
#119801, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 2

Have you checked your crank/cam sensor? Just a thought.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-12-07 05:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#119802, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 2

Can you verify the timing is actually adjusting via a datalogger?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

arsenaultalMar-12-07 05:53 AM
6 posts,
#119803, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-12-07 05:55 AM by arsenaultal

I thought about the Cam Sensor, but wouldn't it screw it up all the time and not just when its warm?

I don't have access to a data logger. I'm not for sure its the timing but it sure sounds like it.

It idles and revs just fine when cold, but as soon as the temp guage starts moving it starts running worse. I have to rev it to keep it running and then it gets so bad it won't run at all.

I unpluged the IAC sensor (center back side of Intake) but what is the IAC on the Throttle Body? Could this be affecting it? I didn't think it was temp dependent.

YoMar-12-07 09:23 AM
Member since Dec 09th 2006
80 posts,
#119804, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 5

The cam sensor could be acting up as it gets warm. Your crank and cam sensor are the main two sensors that mess with your timing.

Your IAC is on the throttle body.

arsenaultalMar-12-07 10:05 AM
6 posts,
#119805, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-12-07 10:07 AM by arsenaultal

Yeah, I ment to type IAT.

Ok, I took off the TB and cleaned it with brake cleaner. I read some threads where people had trouble with the IAC getting gummed up and not idiling properly.

Update:
Now it won't start at all. It cranks and spits, sputters, and backfires but won't run. Still sounds like timing is off but now it won't run even cold.

Where is the crank sensor?

BoostedEclipseMar-12-07 11:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
#119806, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah I was having the same problem!!! Can anyone help us out???

RoninEclipse2GMar-12-07 12:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#119807, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 8

Did you recently change the timing belt? It sounds like when my cam sprocket dowel pin sheared off, I haden't used any loctite when I put in my sprocket bolt and after a few hundred miles it backed out just enough that the pin sheared, it started great for a while then the ecu kept pulling timing as it warmed and eventually wouldnt start once the pin fully sheared, luckily it didn't damage anything, it just stopped spinning just out of the way of everything, but it backfired like a mother until I saw the gear wasn't spinning and stopped. I was lucky I had an extra exhaust cam

IowaRS_racerMar-12-07 03:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
92 posts,
#119808, "RE: Help? Timing off when car warms up"
In response to Reply # 9
Mar-12-07 03:32 PM by IowaRS_racer

Same exact problem here, also sporting the p1390 code. Is the code related? I haven't messed with anything related to the timing belt. Ive also replaced the cam sensor, coolant temp sensor, IAT sensor, PCV etc. .... will you get a 1390 code if the crank pos sensor has taken a crap? Belt has plenty of tension, and is in great shape(no cracks/ splits etc.)I find it hard to believe that its slipped a tooth or more, w/o me messing with it?!?! Could it be related to the EGR block-off??

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #119798 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic