Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132681
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Buying a used head, NTK what to replace" Previous topic | Next topic
teigerDec-13-10 03:32 PM
Member since Jan 07th 2009
19 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132681, "Buying a used head, NTK what to replace"

So sometime in the near future i will be putting in an MLS HG and ARP head bolts and TB. I'm getting a used head to do some of the work before hand.
I have a 99 GS with 160K... and want to put a turbo in(something small T3?) I already have most of the parts, megasquirt, accel 330cc, walbro, FMIC. I have a turbo but its huge(T3-.50 / T4-.83), and will get a different one. I'm only aiming for about 250hp, this is my DD.
Anyway after I get the head milled flat do I need to replace anything like springs or valves? Do I have to replace my piston rings too? Right now my compressions are all near 170. Would it be worth it to do a port/polish myself with a kit? I would like to get some adjustable cam gears too.

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratortekleinDec-13-10 03:35 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#132682, "RE: Buying a used head, NTK what to replace"
In response to Reply # 0

I wouldnt recommend self porting unless you knew what you were doing.

While the head is off and at the machine shop I would have a valve job and new seals done.

Crower springs wont hurt, and a few posts on Neons.org recommends them even for stock cams.

170cr? I would most likely do rings and bearing while its apart, if you wanted to do that. That way everything is fresh, and with good tuning it should last a while

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

teigerDec-13-10 04:12 PM
19 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132683, "RE: Buying a used head, NTK what to replace"
In response to Reply # 1

The test was with a pretty cheap gauge I got from sears and there isn't a real good way to tighten it down. I thought around 175 psi is what it should be but I've read people getting 200s... It seems good enough anyway. I was trying to do the head gasket without pulling the engine since everything is covered in rust(WI). I haven't done it before. Wouldn't I have to pull the block apart and hone the cylinders and replace the studs too? I want to do it right but I don't want my car to be in the garage for the next 3 months.

ryan95eclipseDec-13-10 05:01 PM
Member since Oct 03rd 2010
59 posts,
#132684, "RE: Buying a used head, NTK what to replace"
In response to Reply # 2

You don't have to replace the mains or head bolts. I would change the head bolts to either oem bolts or arp's to be sure they old ones dont strip or stretch.

Stock compression can range from 170-225psi as it says in my manual.
For example my over heating engine showed 180-185 across, while my buddies showed 210-215 across the board.

Imo i would hone the block if putting new rings in to be sure of them sealing properly. Be sure to gap the new rings as well.

Check the cam clearences too. There most likely good but its safe to check. My cam clearences are actually 2-3 thousands of an inch over the max clearence.

teigerDec-16-10 10:36 AM
19 posts,
#132702, "RE: Buying a used head, NTK what to replace"
In response to Reply # 0

Could anybody give me a rough guess on how much it would be just to build up the bottom end of the PT cruiser 2.4 engine? Would it use the head bolts and head gasket for the eclipse or PT?
My imagination has started running away on me...

AdministratorCODE4Dec-16-10 11:26 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#132703, "RE: Buying a used head, NTK what to replace"
In response to Reply # 4
Dec-16-10 11:26 AM by CODE4

Originally posted by teiger
Could anybody give me a rough guess on how much it would be just to build up the bottom end of the PT cruiser 2.4 engine? Would it use the head bolts and head gasket for the eclipse or PT? My imagination has started running away on me...

Seriously? Google. Find the parts you want and price it out.

The head studs needed would need to be spec'ed for the 2.4 block. HG are the same, assuming you are using the 1st gen 2.4 block w/small oil drain.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Nisshoku81Dec-17-10 02:25 AM
Member since Nov 11th 2007
174 posts,
#132704, "RE: Buying a used head, NTK what to replace"
In response to Reply # 4

Could anybody give me a rough guess on how much it would be just to build up the bottom end of the PT cruiser 2.4 engine? Would it use the head bolts and head gasket for the eclipse or PT? My imagination has started running away on me...

Yeah man you can find all the info by hitting up our friend Google and finding the costs of the parts you want to use. As for your head, I think it would be good to get it to a machine shop and have them do a valve job (3-angle), deck, and hot tank is needed. I would probably also look into getting crower springs, and crower titanium retainers because they are super light and very strong. I pretty much did all those things on my head including oversizes valves and I love it.

Good luck man.

Shake_ZullaDec-17-10 12:10 PM
Member since Dec 03rd 2010
42 posts,
#132709, "RE: Buying a used head, NTK what to replace"
In response to Reply # 4

Oh the imagination of a 2gnt owner. It can be our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. Seriously though, if your bank account can't cash the check your imagination is writing, pull the motor and spend the extra time going through it. Replace seals that are leaking, gaskets, water pump, timing belt, check the clutch, clean up everything and check for any problems since you have all that open space in there. Just IMO, my motto has always been do it right the first time but that doesn't work for everyone i guess. Good luck man!

96 RS
95 Toyota pickup - 8" lift, 33's (sold)
07 Toyota tacoma - TRD Sport
13 Ford Fusion

I like logic more when it travels in circles.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132681 Previous topic | Next topic