Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #114938
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Parking Lamps will not turn off." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
dsmtuner1Jul-27-08 10:13 AM
Member since Jul 03rd 2006
245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114938, "Parking Lamps will not turn off."

Please help me out guys. my parking lamps are stuck on and will not go off until i pull the relay. i have already replaced the turn signal switch and tried another relay but neither worked. i need some advice.

2 sets of injectors is better than 1 =)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
TuxdreamerxJul-27-08 11:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114939, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-27-08 11:42 AM by Tuxdreamerx

Originally posted by dsmtuner1
Please help me out guys. my parking lamps are stuck on and will not go off until i pull the relay. i have already replaced the turn signal switch and tried another relay but neither worked. i need some advice.

Funny thing about mine is mine are stuck on when the key is turned but they turn off when I turn the key off. But I cannot turn them on when the key is out and car is off. I dont know why either. Maybe its the fact that the engine is out. I never payed attention before I pulled the motor. so I am curious also.

Edit: also as most of you know I bought this with a blown motor so that would be why I never payed attention, just wanted to clear that up.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GJul-28-08 05:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#114940, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 1

either a bad lamp switch or a short somewhere.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

dsmtuner1Jul-28-08 07:53 AM
245 posts,
#114941, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-28-08 07:55 AM by dsmtuner1

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
either a bad lamp switch or a short somewhere.

Must be a short or something, because I replaced the switch on the steering column and the taillight relay under the hood. Any other relays that might be the culprit by chance?

I unplugged the dimmer switch just in case but it didnt fix the problem either, just turned of the interior lights. The outside lamps stay on.

I will try to remove the fusebox and look under it when i get home. I really dont know where else to start, electrical problems are obviously my weakness. Thanks for all the help though.

edit: but what I dont understand is this, if there was a short at the fuse box for instance making them stay on, then why does removing the tailliht relay fix the problem then? wouldnt the power have to be transferring through the relay correctly in the first place?

azdaveJul-28-08 08:18 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#114942, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 3

If it is a short then they mean that the wire from the stalk switch, which provides a ground path to the marker light relay under the hood, might be pinched or shorted to ground somewhere before the switch. That in effect would make the switch no longer in command.

Since you have already swapped relays with a known good relay then you are left with tracing the wire from the relay socket to the stalk switch. My money is on gauge or alarm wire install problem under the dash above the pedal area but it could be in the engine compartment as well.

dsmtuner1Jul-28-08 09:08 AM
245 posts,
#114943, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 4
Jul-28-08 09:08 AM by dsmtuner1

Originally posted by azdave
If it is a short then they mean that the wire from the stalk switch, which provides a ground path to the marker light relay under the hood, might be pinched or shorted to ground somewhere before the switch. That in effect would make the switch no longer in command. Since you have already swapped relays with a known good relay then you are left with tracing the wire from the relay socket to the stalk switch. My money is on gauge or alarm wire install problem under the dash above the pedal area but it could be in the engine compartment as well.

Well, I have no alarm so that certainly isnt the case. My Power for my gauges are spliced into the dimmer switch, so I will start with the fuse box tonight.

TuxdreamerxJul-28-08 06:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#114944, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-28-08 06:51 PM by Tuxdreamerx

I cant figure out what my problem is I only have a few guesses on mine. 1. the car has a fusion alarm system in it and I have no clue if it was professionally installed or not and that may be part of it.
2. I have an open red/white wire just hanging and cannot find where it goes
3. I have two wires coming down from like the rear of the gauge cluster they spliced into the stock wires and extended them and they have wire nuts on the ends and I am clueless on those i'd have to look to see the colors.

edit: Oh and the wire they used to extend them have a resistor in one of the wires. I thought it went to the indiglo gauges but I tried to hook them up to those and didnt work.

dsmtuner1Jul-29-08 04:33 AM
245 posts,
#114945, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 6

Alright thanks for the help. I went back under the dash and removed all my crimp connectorsf for the gauges and soldered them with heatshrink tubing around them the right way. This Did not fix my problem.

So I Started at the fuse box and after a firm jiggle the parking lamps went off, so I started jiggleing the wires and realized that where the harness of wires runs through the inner fender well there is a short. I can just sit there and jiggle the wires and the parking lamps will turn on and off. I currently have it where the parking lamps are off, but now my turn signals arent working? Annoying!

azdaveJul-30-08 09:47 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#114946, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
I cant figure out what my problem is I only have a few guesses on mine. 1. the car has a fusion alarm system in it and I have no clue if it was professionally installed or not and that may be part of it. 2. I have an open red/white wire just hanging and cannot find where it goes 3. I have two wires coming down from like the rear of the gauge cluster they spliced into the stock wires and extended them and they have wire nuts on the ends and I am clueless on those i'd have to look to see the colors. edit: Oh and the wire they used to extend them have a resistor in one of the wires. I thought it went to the indiglo gauges but I tried to hook them up to those and didnt work.

You have more troubles than I can fix over the net. You should start with the OEM wiring schematic and a test lamp and try to establish a known good point and then troubleshoot by searching halfway between a known bad and good. Keep heading in the direction between the known good and bad.

Is your problem just with gauge lights only or all the marker lights on the interior and exterior?

dsmtuner1Jul-30-08 10:18 AM
245 posts,
#114947, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 8
Jul-30-08 10:19 AM by dsmtuner1

Just want to let you know I got it fixed. What happened was one of my Zip clips that hold the wiring harness against the inner well broke and the harness' Loom was rubbing the the lip on the fender itelf until it wore completely through it, and was grounding out on the fender itself. Got it all fixed up though. Thanks for all the help Dave.

Geimers1Dec-15-10 04:04 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2010
20 posts,
#132699, "RE: Parking Lamps will not turn off."
In response to Reply # 7

i need help mines is doing the same thing i put the light bulb in and its on and i cant figure it out i need help

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #114938 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic