Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #75704
View in threaded mode

Subject: "95 Neon Starter bad, smoking terminals?" Previous topic | Next topic
.bs0dJun-06-04 02:49 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75704, "95 Neon Starter bad, smoking terminals?"

I know this is mainly talon/eclipse help, but my brother just got a Neon that the starter was bad. When we try to crank it over, it turns a little bit, but the battery terminals get very hot and begin to smoke (right where they connect to the battery) I was just wondering if you guys knew anything about it, its a 16 valve 2.0 DOHC. Thanks for any help guys

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
SPL_EclipseJun-06-04 06:11 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75720, "RE: 95 Neon Starter bad, smoking terminals?"
In response to Reply # 0

YIKES!!!!!!! that is VERY dangerous, you might blow the battery up or set the engine bay on fire like that.

you said that the starter is bad...so replace it! also inspect the wiring that runs from the battery (+) terminal to the starter, there might be a short there (that would explain why the starter went bad as well). if you are not comfortable fixing this problem on your own, i HIGHLY recommend you take it to a shop. not only will they have liability on any damage they incure while working on it, you will stay safe and not get fire/battery acid on you.

oh and BTW, i post questions about my 98 DOHC neon occasionally. we are like the ugly stronger cousins of the eclipse, so its all good.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

.bs0dJun-06-04 06:46 PM
597 posts,
#75722, "RE: 95 Neon Starter bad, smoking terminals?"
In response to Reply # 1

Ok thanks for the tips man, but this is the deal: we did replace the starter, and when we put on the new one, this is how it acted. with the old one, it would just tick. So, i'll check the wires that run to it and see if theres a short. I've never seen anything happen like that

SPL_EclipseJun-06-04 06:51 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#75723, "RE: 95 Neon Starter bad, smoking terminals?"
In response to Reply # 2

me neither, im baffled! best of luck though, hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer here.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

.bs0dJun-06-04 07:01 PM
597 posts,
#75724, "RE: 95 Neon Starter bad, smoking terminals?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yea, because that is some crazy stuff! I think the mechanic the original owner took it to- i think he like messed somethign up so it wouldnt work right to tell the owner its junk, and then offer him like $50 for it, so he'd have a new car. The original owner told my brother that the mechanic told him he knocked a hole in the oil pan and ran it dry--locked up the motor.

Well thats not true! because it tries to turn over, and nothing is wrong with the oil pan (diry mechanics > )

but yea, maybe someone familiar with wiring can help us out!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #75704 Previous topic | Next topic