Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #4330
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Headers & tower bar" Previous topic | Next topic
dermottJun-29-01 02:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4330, "Headers & tower bar"

I'm fairly new to all these mods 'n' $hit, but not totally in the dark. I just wanted to know what the hell is the difference between a 4-2-1 header, and a 4-1. Do they affect the car differently, or not.
Another question, I've ordered a front upper strut tower bar. It seems there is an A\C line in the way for installation. Can anyone tell me if they've installed one, and if the A\C line was a problem or not.
It's a 95 Talon esi.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Y2 e c l i p s e dJun-29-01 02:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4331, "RE: Headers & tower bar"
In response to Reply # 0

Ill help you out since I was in your shoes a few months ago.
3-2-1 headers give more low end power as oppose to 3-1 headers which give more top end. Pending on what you would rather have its totally up to you. I have greddy 4-1 and they have good top end. Far as the strut bar havent installed one myself yet but it should bolt straight on if you ordered the right one. where did you get your bar? for how much? I need one too.

L8

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dermottJun-29-01 05:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
5 posts,
#4332, "RE: Headers & tower bar"
In response to Reply # 1

I ordered my stb from OBX. I don't have it yet, but it should be in late next week, along with a set of OBX 4-2-1 headers. The stb cost $96 CDN. Some of the guys from work like the OBX stuff, so I'm giving it a try.
Any opinions on OBX stuff??

Black97GSJun-29-01 02:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
#4333, "RE: Headers & tower bar"
In response to Reply # 0

A 4-2-1 header goes from the four pipes bolted to the cylinder head into two pipes and then into one. The 4-1 is from the four pipes bolted to cylinderhead directly into one pipe. The 4-2-1 usually gives a more broad powerband, while the 4-1 is better suited for high-rpm. I may be a little off on how the 420a responds to these two, but that's how my v-8 experience was.

Clint

Fast420AJun-29-01 03:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#4334, "RE: Headers & tower bar"
In response to Reply # 3

There should be no problem installing a STB, I have 5 of them and had no problems.

KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Custom 2 1/4 inch exhaust
Empty Catalytic Convertor
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

js99rsJun-29-01 04:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#4335, "RE: Headers & tower bar"
In response to Reply # 4

damn y2eclipsed i didnt know they made headers for 3 cylinders??? jkn

aem cai
pacesetter headers
gs-t exhaust
red altezzas
rims, tires, and a bunch of other little stuff....that list is way too short....more will come!

-jason

LunarEclipseJun-30-01 07:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
788 posts,
#4336, "RE: Headers & tower bar"
In response to Reply # 5

can somebody tell me the difference between top end and low end power?

www.artexmusic.com

97' grey gs/Greddy EVO catback/Greddy header/AEM cai/afx udp/dropped on 2" sprints

Dame_FlamezJun-30-01 08:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
51 posts,
#4337, "RE: Headers & tower bar"
In response to Reply # 6

Check it out:

top end = horsepower (HP) and translates more towards the top speed and overall quickness of your car

low end = torque (lb ft) and translates to your car's pickup and how quick it accelerates.

I believe it's called top end and low end because HP comes from the top end of your motor, while torque comes from the bottom... but I'm not sure.

Damien

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #4330 Previous topic | Next topic