Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #119725
View in threaded mode

Subject: "95 gs" Previous topic | Next topic
jmillerMar-21-07 02:34 PM
Member since Mar 21st 2007
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#119725, "95 gs"

i just got a gs and it keeps fowling the number 1&4 plugs and i changed the plugs and the coil pack and its still spitting and sputtering... i dont know what the problem is... can some one please help me? i dont know much about the eclipse's im pretty sure it has a 4g64 motor... is that a motor that is worth boosting? or can a 4g63 be put in there fairly cheap and easy...from all the threads i read doing a motor swap in a 2g is a pain in the a@$, but i just figured id ask again... if any one has any suggestions that would be great thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
EricMar-21-07 04:11 PM
Member since Mar 21st 2004
252 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#119726, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 0

Foul spark plugs:
Are you using NGK's? Do you have any oil on the spark plugs? Is the valve cover leaking?

Engine:
All GS and RS Eclipse's have the 420a engine. The 4g63 swap is not recommended - search for "4g63 swap" for many threads on why. There is lots of information on how to boost your current engine on this site, though.

-Eric

97 Eclipse RS
1/4: 16.15 @ 87.35mph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorcs82685Mar-21-07 04:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#119727, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-21-07 04:35 PM by cs82685

Originally posted by jmiller
or can a 4g63 be put in there fairly cheap and easy...from all the threads i read doing a motor swap in a 2g is a pain in the a@$, but i just figured id ask again...

The answer hasn't changed, there's an entire sticky in the turbo/nitrous forum

Here:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=96084&mode=full

Originally posted by Eric
Engine: All GS and RS Eclipse's have the 420a engine.

Correction, GS spyders have a 4g64, you can also get more specific if you want to argue between 1g/2g, lol and the lack of spyders in 95 (at least I think they didn't have 'em in 95)

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

saikouMar-21-07 05:14 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2005
454 posts,
#119728, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 2

The Spyder was debuted as a 96 model.

Moderatorcs82685Mar-22-07 01:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#119729, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by saikou
The Spyder was debuted as a 96 model.

that's what I thought

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

totaleclipse_05Mar-22-07 05:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#119730, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by cs82685
Correction, GS spyders have a 4g64, you can also get more specific if you want to argue between 1g/2g, lol and the lack of spyders in 95 (at least I think they didn't have 'em in 95)

GS and RS only have 420a's. You wouldn't call a Spyder GS just a GS so that doesn't matter lol. You are right though, I just feel like arguing haha.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

jmillerMar-22-07 02:06 PM
5 posts,
#119731, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 1

no im not running NGK (are they a hotter plug?) and yes there is some gas and oil on the plugs wen i pull them out, yea my valve cover gasket is leaking a little, but i didnt think any thing of it( its my # 1&4 plugs that are wet).... what would cause them to get wet and foul?.............. oh sry guys bout the 4g64 thing.... thats what the guy i bought it off of said it was thanks for lettin me know what is actually in it

EricMar-25-07 07:36 AM
Member since Mar 21st 2004
252 posts,
#119732, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 6

NGK's are what is used from the factory and are recommended. Other spark plugs could cause issues.

I am guessing since your valve cover is starting to leak, it is probably also leaking around the spark plug wells. Oil is getting into the wells and fouling your plugs.

Replace your valve cover gasket and spark plug gaskets. Here is a write-up; http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/vc.html. After the new gaskets, put in a set of new NGK's properly gapped.

-Eric

97 Eclipse RS
1/4: 16.15 @ 87.35mph

talon749Mar-25-07 10:17 AM
Member since Jul 13th 2005
421 posts,
#119733, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 7

you also will want to pick up some valve cover bolt insulators they are cheap, and help keep everything in place

-Keith

'92 BMW 325i - 3.91 LSD....Cold air intake....M52 headers.....Track pipe....Remus back....Fan Delete....UUC short throw...M3 Clutch Flywheel & Drive Shaft...Tien Coil overs

I <3 the twisties

jmillerMar-26-07 11:27 AM
5 posts,
#119734, "RE: 95 gs"
In response to Reply # 7

ill try it this weekend thanks for the help guys

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #119725 Previous topic | Next topic