Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133597
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Throttle Hesitation" Previous topic | Next topic
MimMar-31-11 07:51 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2011
6 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133597, "Throttle Hesitation"

Hey guys, back with this eclipse.

Recap:
2G 2.0 DOHC n/t
New head, all the gaskets, MAP, crank, and cam sensors, throttle body, timing belt and tensioner, fuel pump filter and relay, ignition switch, ignition pack, plugs, wires.. I'm sure there's more...

My problem is with the throttle. When I start it, it idles fine around 1k and drives fine for a few min. Then after you stop and it idles, it starts acting funny. You hit the gas and it hesitates to go for a split second before jerking you forward and accelerating. You get the same effect when you let off the gas as well.

I put a video up on you-tube of it idling and me explaining my issue. Feel free to check it out.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratortekleinMar-31-11 09:35 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#133598, "RE: Throttle Hesitation"
In response to Reply # 0

You mention the MAP sensor. That causes issues kinda like you are describing.

I take it you have checked if the throttle body is binding?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCMar-31-11 11:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133600, "RE: Throttle Hesitation"
In response to Reply # 1

you say the MAP's been replaced. w/ a new one? what other codes are you getting. reset the ECU then report back. it's electrically related during the little rev on the decel on the vid.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

MimApr-01-11 07:25 AM
6 posts,
#133601, "RE: Throttle Hesitation"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by teklein
You mention the MAP sensor. That causes issues kinda like you are describing. I take it you have checked if the throttle body is binding?

I have. I have actually swapped the TB three times. All junk yard ones of coarse, but if that was my issue, I'm sure one of them would have been good.

MimApr-01-11 07:28 AM
6 posts,
#133603, "RE: Throttle Hesitation"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
you say the MAP's been replaced. w/ a new one? what other codes are you getting. reset the ECU then report back. it's electrically related during the little rev on the decel on the vid.

The MAP has been replaced, also three times. No it's not new (new ones are expensive and I don't have the money for it), but once again, it's not likely that all three were bad. I don't have a scanner here to "clear" the codes but I have unhooked the bat and touched pos and neg to reset it a few times. The EGR was clogged and I cleaned it... I am assuming that was why I was throwing the MAP code, and since I cleaned it, it idles fine.

That's the only code it's throwing.. that and that the ECU has been unplugged within the last 50 key strokes. (CEL code 12)

420agreenvilleSCApr-01-11 07:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#133604, "RE: Throttle Hesitation"
In response to Reply # 3

U need to source someone or place that has a full diagnostic scanner. Do the throttle thing, then see what it reads when it does it. I suck w/ diagnosis on stuff like this. Most ppl do

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

MimApr-01-11 08:17 AM
6 posts,
#133606, "RE: Throttle Hesitation"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
U need to source someone or place that has a full diagnostic scanner. Do the throttle thing, then see what it reads when it does it. I suck w/ diagnosis on stuff like this. Most ppl do

Apparently me as well.. I can't figure it out. Wouldn't the dealer be the only one with a full scanner. Don't those things cost several thousand?

Locke_dbApr-01-11 07:39 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#133627, "RE: Throttle Hesitation"
In response to Reply # 6

You should be able to get enough information from a standard OBD2 logger, (at least what it THINKS is going on) except fuel pressure, which could be potentially useful information also.

Try to find somebody local with a logger, and get some fuel pressure info when idling, while revving, during the hesitation/backfire, whatever.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=287

420agreenvilleSCApr-01-11 08:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#133629, "RE: Throttle Hesitation"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Locke_db
Try to find somebody local with a logger, and get some fuel pressure info when idling, while revving, during the hesitation/backfire, whatever.

this

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133597 Previous topic | Next topic