Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #15421
View in threaded mode

Subject: "clutch master cylinder leaking" Previous topic | Next topic
jamesmanFeb-21-02 03:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15421, "clutch master cylinder leaking"

I opened my clutch reservoir and there was freaking nothing in it!
so i looked at the salve cylinder and it doesent appear to be leaking, then i went inside the car and looked up at the master cylinder and it is dripping this oily black shit which i assume is clutch fluid, anyone know if the cylinder can be rebuilt or if i have to get a new one. and if i do need to get a new one anyone kow how much that shit is?
thanks
james

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
KoryFeb-21-02 03:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15422, "RE: clutch master cylinder leaking"
In response to Reply # 0

rebuilt is a possibility... take it all out and inspect it... if the seals are torn then resplace it. but buying a rebuilt one mite be cheaper

96RS ~ full 99GS Special Edit. body conversion, aem cai, greddy header, greddy sp exhaust, afx pulley, B&M SS, magecores & NGKs, S-AFC, A/F and Volt guages, Sparco Torino Seat, illuminas, prokits, ingalls camber, gunmetal GS rims, ST Sways, STBs, lower rear tie bar, Sony Xplode head, Xplode 10 disk, Boston Components, 2 Kenwood amps, 12" MTX sub, a shit load more.

97GSX ~ 18psi~ Ported/Clipped 10 degrees Frank 2 w/47trim, Ported Exh. housing, Tial 40mm External Wastegate with discharge tube, Ported O2 housing, 3" downpipe, 3" Straight Pipe, Apex N1, fake cat, K&N FIPK, Greddy IC Piping, Type S bov, S-AFC, Profec B, Greddy TT, Slimline Fan, RRE Catch Can, Greddy Big FMIC, ND 660s, Walboro 190lph, ACT 2600 w/street disk, clutch SS line, lighten flywheel, removed cruise control line, Greddy EGT, Coolant, Boost Gauges, motor mount inserts, Magnecor & plugs, greddy oil cap, greddy radiator cap, and free mods. To all the haters _|_ tia

The Original 2GNT []D[][]Y[][]D

96 RS

97 GSX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AaronD95GSFeb-21-02 01:24 PM
Member since Feb 13th 2002
92 posts,
#15423, "RE: clutch master cylinder leaking"
In response to Reply # 0

I had to replace both my master and slave cylinders. It is possible to get them rebuilt but that takes a bit more time. I wish I would of done that but with school I didn't have the time to mess with it so i just let satan deal with it..

Before I had this car I had money.

JustOneFeb-21-02 03:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#15424, "RE: clutch master cylinder leaking"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't want to be the person that has to say your wrong, but I guess I will have to in this case.

You can buy a rebuild kit from any auto parts stores. I got one from Checker for like 8-9 dollars. It comes w/ everything you need.

A new piston, spring, and all the O-rings.

After you take out the master cylinder all you have to do is take it all apart (real easy) and install all the new parts. When you take out all the parts inside the master cylinder all you are left w/ is a piece of machined metal. You replace everything inside it using the kit. It is real brain dead stuff. (Anyone can do it) just take it apart systematically and put it back together the opposite way you took it apart. I rebuilt mine and it has been working well ever sense.

$8 solution vs. 100+ solution

Whole job only took an hour

Hope this helps James

jamesmanFeb-22-02 03:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#15425, "RE: clutch master cylinder leaking"
In response to Reply # 3

i bought a new one. 97 bucks. i took the old one out and took it apart and the inside wall of cylinder was scraped on one side like when the piston doesen't go in straight and it rubs on one side. any tips on bleeding this damn thing. i would think you should bleed it from the slave obviously, but it seems dumb that it is so low. i was thinking about using a vacuum from the master cylinder reservoir and hooking up a bottle of fluid to the slave's bleed port and sucking that fluid through.
thanks
james

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

eclipsekaiserFeb-22-02 06:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#15426, "RE: clutch master cylinder leaking"
In response to Reply # 4

or you can go buy a mityvac and bleed that bitch with aquarium tubing. also can be used for brakes..

kaiser

-K-

iamnotwhoiamFeb-22-02 04:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#15427, "RE: clutch master cylinder leaking"
In response to Reply # 3

can you do a sim rebuild kit for a slave cylinder

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

JustOneFeb-22-02 03:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#15428, "RE: clutch master cylinder leaking"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm sure you can. The way I found out about the rebuild kit for the master cylinder was I went to buy a new one and the guy asked me if I wanted a new one or a rebuild kit. I would think that if they have them for the master they should prob. have them for the slave. I would also think that they would make on for your brake master cylinder. I know they make a rebuild kit for the calipers.

Weezle745Feb-22-02 05:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#15429, "RE: clutch master cylinder leaking"
In response to Reply # 7

yeah i bought the rebuild kit and it was super cheap compared to buying a new master cylinder.

Id definitely recommend the rebuild kit for anyone looking at buying a new cylinder.

--- My 2gnt WIKI contribution ---> http://www.jamlez.com/2gnt

97 Eclipse Spyder

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #15421 Previous topic | Next topic