Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #102317
View in threaded mode

Subject: "check engine light code pulling" Previous topic | Next topic
uber_nnyDec-17-06 10:33 AM
Member since Aug 31st 2006
23 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102317, "check engine light code pulling"

anyway to pull the codes off the check engine light?

i dont have a scanner/diag. tool, and the local parts places wanna chrge way to much just to hook it up.....

I had a p0140 code when it failed inspection, i replaced the rear 02 sensor, no check engine light for 2 days them bam lights back on and i wanna know why.......... >.<

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Moderatorcs82685Dec-17-06 11:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102318, "RE: check engine light code pulling"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-17-06 01:28 PM by cs82685

Originally posted by uber_nny
anyway to pull the codes off the check engine light? i dont have a scanner/diag. tool, and the local parts places wanna chrge way to much just to hook it up..... I had a p0140 code when it failed inspection, i replaced the rear 02 sensor, no check engine light for 2 days them bam lights back on and i wanna know why.......... >.<

welcome. Check out this link on the key dance, it will become your friend, I know it's mine.

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=PCM%20Error%20Codes

Just for future reference, you should check the main page and do a quick search, chances are your question has already been answered and it will keep the flaming down.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

techboyDec-18-06 04:28 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#102330, "RE: check engine light code pulling"
In response to Reply # 1

The key dance only works with a 95-98 car. The 99's Mits changed. I would highly recommend going to Autozone or some place of the and buying a code reader for about 50 bucks. They work universally on OBDII vehicles and will pay for itself. I have used mine so many times to figure out what's wrong with my car. It's like my best friend.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

redgs1995Dec-18-06 03:31 PM
Member since Aug 30th 2006
12 posts,
#102335, "RE: check engine light code pulling"
In response to Reply # 2

If you don't have the money to buy one just ask the man at autozone to check it for you and then get him to clear it out after you find out what is wrong.

LBC

uber_nnyDec-19-06 06:14 AM
Member since Aug 31st 2006
23 posts,
#102342, "RE: check engine light code pulling"
In response to Reply # 0

hahaha my little brother posted under my name.....

anyway, yeah his check engine light only comes on when he starts it so the key dance dosnt work, i tried it allready, ill probably take to autozone and have them tell me what code its throwing, probably just cat inefficiency

ModeratormicyekDec-19-06 07:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#102343, "RE: check engine light code pulling"
In response to Reply # 4

The ECU should store the code though. Only after X amount of cycles of no codes dose it clear itself.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-19-06 08:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#102344, "RE: check engine light code pulling"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by uber_nny
hahaha my little brother posted under my name.....

Hey, tell him he owes you a scanner now! It's worth a shot.

Like micyek says, the code should be stored.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

talonmanAug-30-08 03:28 PM
Member since Aug 30th 2008
1 posts,
#109885, "RE: check engine light code pulling"
In response to Reply # 0

i want to know why my 1997 eagle talon check engine light is on and it runs fine and all the fluids are full so can you tell me what to do

Moderatorcs82685Aug-30-08 05:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#109886, "RE: check engine light code pulling"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by talonman
i want to know why my 1997 eagle talon check engine light is on and it runs fine and all the fluids are full so can you tell me what to do

ummm, I guess thanks for searching, but you didn't need to bump a 2 year old thread. Anyways, we can't tell you why your check engine light is on, you have to either do the keydance (which I don't think works on 97's I've heard differing opinions) or bring it to advance and they'll find out what the code is for you for free. Once you get the code, bring it back to us and we can help you from there. You can also look here for some more details on the code once you get it pulled:

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=PCM%20Error%20Codes

As for why it runs fine and all fluids are full, just because you have a CEL doesn't mean the car is going to run like crap. Example, two very common codes are for the evap system and the rear oxygen sensor. All the rear oxygen sensor does is make sure the cat is still working properly and if it's not getting the readings it expects, it throws a CEL but on't affect performance or drivability at all. The evap system code is usually a PITA to hunt down but can just be a tiny little leak in one of your vaccuum lines for the evap system which again won't affect drivability

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #102317 Previous topic | Next topic