Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Old Shootout Forums 2004 DSM ShootOut topic #1362
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Timing belt issues......" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan_HesJul-21-04 06:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1362, "Timing belt issues......"

I am at 63,000 miles......and I have not done me timing belt. I may not have time/be able to afford to do it by the Shootout.

The Shootout is EXACTLY a 1,000 milse trip for me -- 500 there, 500 back. Lemme get some opinions on the endurance of my timing belt and if I should be okay driving the trip without changing it.

Breaking down would be TERRIBLE....but I've heard of people going way past the 60k mark without changing it. I've been turbo since 36,000 miles - never more than 7psi. Thoughts?

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
babybeclipseJul-21-04 06:58 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1363, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it worth the risk?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95greenhrcgsJul-21-04 07:08 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1420 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1364, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 1

Damn man thats a tough question to ask. I wanna say make it to the Shootout, but then again, what if something did happen?

If you decided you wanted to take the risk, MAYBE you could recruit a few fellow 2gnt'ers to replace it for you in Ohio. Who knows. Just make sure that you have any and ALL electrical connections under your hood crimped or you will catch ever lasting hell for it for a long time from others who may see it. I KNOW THIS.

Gonna need to be done regardless, so I say take out the credit card, get it done, and get your ass to Ohio.

Jonathan
95 Eclipse GS
8 injector
Hahn Stage 3.5
Howell 2.2L Stroker

T O T A L L E D, T H A N K S T O S O M E A S S H A T!!!!!!!!!!!!

TeamMichael_97RSJul-21-04 07:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1365, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes Mr. Crimp ^ gives good advice here.

Exile Racing Technologies: http://www.exileracing.com
So. All that's left, is... everything - Jesse James

TeamAvengerJul-22-04 04:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#1366, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 3

Ryan,

Look at your timing belt. Is it brittle, does it have knicks and gouges in it, is it frayed. If it looks like its in good shape I think you'll be fine.

In all honesty we all run the risk of something happening while we are out there whether or not we are driving it hard. It's all probability that some one will break down just since there is so many people there.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

ModeratormicyekJul-22-04 06:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#1368, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 4

Like Thura said...take a look at it.

I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over do....83,000 miles on the clock, I will be changing it before I take off for the SO though.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

95greenhrcgsJul-22-04 07:18 AM
1420 posts,
#1371, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by micyek
Like Thura said...take a look at it. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over do....83,000 miles on the clock, I will be changing it before I take off for the SO though.

CHANGE THAT THING ASAP!!!! And yes I meant to use caps.

Jonathan
95 Eclipse GS
8 injector
Hahn Stage 3.5
Howell 2.2L Stroker

ModeratormicyekJul-22-04 07:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#1372, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 6
Jul-22-04 07:22 AM by micyek

Originally posted by 95greenhrcgs
Originally posted by micyek Like Thura said...take a look at it. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over do....83,000 miles on the clock, I will be changing it before I take off for the SO though.
CHANGE THAT THING ASAP!!!! And yes I meant to use caps.

heh...yeah...picking up the tensioner and things tonight

*edit*

but I inspected it the other day...looks good...no nicks or freys or cracks.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

95greenhrcgsJul-22-04 07:55 AM
1420 posts,
#1374, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 7

yeah, but you never know.

I had mine skip a tooth on the interstate doing about 65-70 right at 60K, so I know not to play around with not doing it. Luckily my car was fine. Still scary tho.

Jonathan
95 Eclipse GS
8 injector
Hahn Stage 3.5
Howell 2.2L Stroker

TeametxJul-22-04 08:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#1376, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 8

I would say check the condition of the belt, it's tention, and try to inspect the hydrolic tentioner to see how far out the end of it is. If the belt has stretched too much and the tentioner is compensating for that I would say, NO. You have like 20 something days. That's plenty of time. I have to pull the head off mine before the SO!

TeamXtremeRSJul-22-04 11:44 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1382, "RE: Timing belt issues......"
In response to Reply # 9

Of course its a very good idea to change it, but these belts were designed to go for 100,000 miles or more. When i did mine, at 55k, it looked like it could go at least another 30k or so. I guess i would be more worried about the tensioner and pullies and waterpump rather than the belt. People who break belts before 60k, usually have had some sort of contamination of the belt, most likely if oil had gotten on it. I think it would be just fine, but if it makes you feel better..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top Team 2GNT Community Old Shootout Forums 2004 DSM ShootOut topic #1362 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic