Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8546
View in threaded mode

Subject: "explain this leak to me please becuase im lost" Previous topic | Next topic
rshisslerJul-29-10 07:07 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2008
172 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8546, "explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"

So ever since we reinstalled my engine and trans a couple months ago i've had this tranny leak. From under the car all i could tell is that it was coming from the bell housing. So i figured it was the input shaft seal/bearing. I took the trans out of the car yesterday and put it up on my work table and couldn't tell where it was leaking from (no signs of a trail made by the fluid). So i set it up like it would sit in the car, popped the axles in, and refilled it. Didn't see it leak anywhere in the bell housing then i saw where it was leakin. The bottom 18mm bolt hole in the bell housing. The one that connects a bracket from the trans to the motor... it was leakin from inside the hole. This confuses the hell out of me. I dont understand why its leaking from there. The hole doesn't go anywhere near the inside of the trans or near any fluid. am i missing something here?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Ebster1085Jul-29-10 09:33 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8547, "RE: explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"
In response to Reply # 0

That doesn't make any sense..

I think you need to recheck the situation.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

rshisslerJul-30-10 09:12 AM
172 posts,
#8548, "RE: explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"
In response to Reply # 1

after looking the bellhousing over and over and over for like an hour i finally found the source. Theres a hairline crack at the very end of the bolt hole.

Ebster1085Jul-30-10 06:29 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#8549, "RE: explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"
In response to Reply # 2

But how would a bolt hole on the bellhousing for one of the 18mm bolts that mounts to the block leak fluid? That makes no sense, unless of course this crack runs all the way back up to the tranny casing.

rshisslerJul-30-10 07:30 PM
172 posts,
#8550, "RE: explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"
In response to Reply # 3

excatly im just confused by it. maybe it does go that fall

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-06-10 10:32 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#8559, "RE: explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"
In response to Reply # 4

the rear most 18mm bolt hole will go into the trans if you were to put too long of a bolt in it. This is very possible.

ModeratorbullettdsmAug-07-10 03:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8560, "RE: explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by rshissler
after looking the bellhousing over and over and over for like an hour i finally found the source. Theres a hairline crack at the very end of the bolt hole.

You may have a bunch of hairline cracks around the diff. I once got a new rebuild this way. They couldn't find the source of a leak and they checked everything. So they gave it to me. Did a bunch of searching etc. and came up with some hairline cracks in the diff area that looked like casting, but turned out to be cracks. Leaked out of the same spot as you described.

Or, that spot can be the first to hit as the tranny is "dropped" on the ground (you know, when someone "drops" the tranny on the ground when pulling it out of the car, lol).Or, could have hit something on the road at one point. That particular ear could be cracked.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

rshisslerAug-07-10 09:32 AM
172 posts,
#8561, "RE: explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"
In response to Reply # 6

yeaq heres a pic of the crack

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-05-10 06:52 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#8574, "RE: explain this leak to me please becuase im lost"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-05-10 06:53 AM by Star Turbo Talon

Tool long of a bolt. Nice job.

JB Weld it

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8546 Previous topic | Next topic