Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6503
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd" Previous topic | Next topic
sadcJun-29-07 11:55 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2007
47 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6503, "Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"

every time i go from first to second it grinds. It still can go into gear but it grinds. And it only grinds when i pass the 3000RPM but anything below that it dosnt. from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th is fine no problem..its just the 1st the 2nd...or when i down shift from 3rd to 2nd...But say if i go from first and i pass the 5000 rpm and just hold my clutch and let it drop a little then it will go in without grinding. So whats up with that??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
freelancefoolJun-30-07 12:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6504, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 0

Worn synchros? Just rev match while shifting and you should be fine. It'll take some practice, but you'll get the hang of it. My last truck would grind in reverse, first, second, and third. I drove it like that for maybe 40K miles.

My Blog

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Styles.Jul-01-07 09:16 AM
Member since May 05th 2007
59 posts,
#6505, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 1

try double clutching

RS-TJul-01-07 10:00 AM
Member since May 29th 2007
67 posts,
#6506, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 2

Same thing was happeneing to my 91 Laser.

Shop said that it was probably worn synchros. I just took it easy when I went into 2nd. Pull it slowly and let it rest in Neutral for a second before throwing back into gear.

Rebuild In Process

sadcJul-01-07 10:36 AM
47 posts,
#6507, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 3

did you ever get it fixed?

RS-TJul-02-07 10:37 AM
Member since May 29th 2007
67 posts,
#6509, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 4

Negative.

Sold it.

Rebuild In Process

marshaunMar-13-08 05:24 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2005
15 posts,
#7045, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 5

I have this same problem now. Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix (replace parts)or should I be thinking about getting used tranny? Is this a job a novice can handle?

sadcMar-13-08 09:16 AM
47 posts,
#7046, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by marshaun
I have this same problem now. Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix (replace parts)or should I be thinking about getting used tranny? Is this a job a novice can handle?

only way i did it was just swap out the tranny. Just wait till you blow your tranny then swap it out. Or if you have different simptoms let us. Post it up

RoninEclipse2GMar-13-08 03:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7048, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 7

Second gear is THE most common gear to wear out the synchros, just live with it or replace the tranny, it's not a job for a novice.
sometimes you can sell the old one as a core to tranny shops.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Flipboi89Mar-16-08 04:19 PM
Member since Oct 06th 2007
392 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7059, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 8

yeah i have the same, im hearing that i should re-syncro it but i think its spendy? ima just drop a new tranny in probably

Car Status: P0140 o2 circuit number bank 1 sensor 2 Cel. Ill fix it tomorow lol.

Estimated mileage on engine: 15,xxx

2GeclipseRSMar-23-08 09:21 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#7077, "RE: Gear Grinding! :( only Little bit of first but mostly 2nd"
In response to Reply # 9

Had the same problems with mine. Then it would pop out of gears sometimes. Mostly 5th followed by reverse and second.

3rd and 4th were the only ones that had a grind to them though. My 1-2 shifts were solid.

Want to know what fixed it? $350 and half a day of work. (new tranny)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6503 Previous topic | Next topic