Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5759
View in threaded mode

Subject: "How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential" Previous topic | Next topic
GorkoRacingOct-05-06 04:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5759, "How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
Oct-05-06 04:28 AM by GorkoRacing

Ok I've got a slip in lsd and am going to put it in if i can ever get the damn retaining pin out so i can take out the diff pin. How do you go about removing it. I don't have a factory service manual and couldnt find anything with 2gnt's search other than "remove the retaining pin". Does it require an allen or torx wrench and you screw it out or do you have to tap/pound it out as well like the diff pin? Its just flat at the top but I couldnt see down in the small hole at the bottom last night very well. Anyone know off the top of their head how to get it out?

The SID i'm using is in another differential right now but the spider gears are shot so i'm gonna get my gears ground flat and put the lsd into mine. The lsd is pushing against the top and bottom gears right now so how do i compress it to get it out? Will it just come out when i get the diff pin out? And when putting it back in are there any tricks/tips? I just wanna go ahead and ask that now before i possibly get stuck later. Is there a writeup somewhere on installing one of these SIDs? I saw 2 links but they were both no longer working.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: here's what i'm doing. Trying to put this SID:

into my stock diff when i get the damn pin out and have the spider gears machined flat

both diffs

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-05-06 09:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5760, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 0

It's just a roll pin. Knock it out with a punch tool and a hammer.

I don't recommend reusing it if you can avoid it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HadesOmegaOct-05-06 12:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#5761, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-05-06 12:30 PM by HadesOmega

I got the same LSD well similar anyway, like dino said find the roll pin holding it in and get a punch and knock that sucka out. Then tap the diff pin out. Installed two diffs like this

I recommend welding the diff pin in or getting those brackets, I just welded mine.

also that diff in that pic doesn't look like its centered right on the spider gears. it may cause the stub axeles to not go in all the way...

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

GorkoRacingOct-06-06 03:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#5765, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot this weekend and take the gears to the machine shop on monday. Yeah the insert in the diff right now isn't anywhere near lined up and is also missing 2 spider gears. There were safing brackets on the diff with the insert in it that i've already taken out and plan to use on MY diff after I get everything back together. Hoping for a nice feeling as I just got Andy's OFE stg 3 clutch as well. I can't wait!!! So once the pin is out I should be able to pull or knock out the insert as its pushing pretty hard against those spider gears?

The insert is actually a AMI (alabama man innovations) that doesnt really get discussed much on here as the guy who made them quit selling them a few years ago. Fortunately he lives in my town and I'm in the process of getting ahold of him to see if he thinks the insert is in any way damaged (looks perfectly fine to me)

GorkoRacingOct-06-06 09:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#5767, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 3

OK...got the pin out of the diff with the SID in it and pulled out the insert and machined spider gears. I'm not gonna reuse the spider gears for obvious reasons but I took some pics of them anyway. I also took pics of all different angles of the insert. It looks to be overal still very sound. there is some wear on the top and bottom but its not removed any metal just made it shiny where the contact surface is greater with the gear. On the sides there is a tiny bit of wear/nicked places on it from what i guess is when his 2 spider gears exploded. What do you guys think on the overall condition. I'll definately get those 2 little burred spots with my rotary tool before putting it in if you guys think it still looks pretty sound.

Pic time!! 56k go jump off a cliff
Pics of the old busted machined spider gears

Insert pics:

GorkoRacingOct-09-06 09:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#5777, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 4

The spider gears are at the shop being machined and matched to the specs of the gears that came with this differential insert. Hoping he'll give me a call later today or tomorrow saying they are ready and I can put my diff back together with some new goodies. Another question however. As I took out the diff pin and the 2 small spider gears a small ring that looks like a really thin lock washer or just a thin circle came out with one of the gears I'm not sure where this goes when reinstalling these. There was no such metal ring on the other side (to my knowledge) so only one side has this litte metal "C"/ring/thin lockwasher? Where does it go when putting it back together? I've been printing out stuff from the service manual dino's sig links too but do not see this listed in the pieces of the differential.

GorkoRacingOct-10-06 11:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#5779, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok i figured out what the thing i though was a washer was. It was actually part of the thrust washer that had broken off somehow all the way around. I'm glad that didnt get loose in my differential/tranny! Can I get a new thrust washer from satan? Anyone got a part number?

GorkoRacingOct-11-06 06:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#5780, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 6

I found a part number off the PNC lookup: M04137024

Here's pics of my broken one

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-11-06 09:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#5784, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 7

They're shims, and they come in different thicknesses for different amounts of slop in the diff.

Read the section in the NV-T350 rebuild manual on servicing the diff to determine how to shim it, and how much.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

GorkoRacingOct-11-06 10:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#5785, "RE: How do you get the retaining pin out of the differential"
In response to Reply # 8

Will do!! Thanks Dino

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5759 Previous topic | Next topic