Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4439
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Clutch not disengaging? wtf..." Previous topic | Next topic
siueclipseJun-04-05 09:35 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4439, "Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."

Ok, so the other night I was out having some fun in the car.

Took off in first gear, accidentally hit the rev limit and it bounced for a sec., Shifted into second, then missed third gear so I easily put it in third after I let the RPM's drop. I pull up to a stop sign, shift into nuetral. When its my turn to go, I attempt to put it in 1st gear and it wont go. I wouldn't go into any gear. Finally I got it in reverse. After reverse I was able to push it very very hard into first gear, the car made a clunk, and i was rolling.

I took the car back to my buddy's house. Im not leaking any fluid from anywhere.

The car shifts just fine when its off, its actually very smooth.

I then took the car home. While I was on the highway it seemed that the clutch wouldn't disengage. I could speed shift just fine (shifting without the clutch). The clutch held boost and the trans feels just fine.

When I would cruise at 60mph I put my foot on the clutch. The RPMs should fall, well, they don't. The car just starts decelerating. HOWEVER, when I come to a stop, I can put my foot on the clutch on the car will not die. However its still very hard to shift from a stop.

Like I said, it feels as if the clutch is not going into nuetral when I put my foot down.

I can think of 3 things at this point. Maybe something happened to the throw out bearing, or either the master or slave cylinder is going out or went out.

Any thoughts?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
grainJun-04-05 05:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4443, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 0

make sure the slave cylinder is moving. other that than, sounds like my clutch when i blew it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

siueclipseJun-04-05 08:33 PM
3504 posts,
#4445, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 1

I tested the slave and master. They are fine. Bled the system, its fine. This is my third CM clutch. I had a stage 3, and another stage 4 before this stage 4. This stage 4 clutch has maybe 4K miles on it. Im getting frustrated.

Turns out that more than likely one of the springs popped out of the clutch. Thats what happened with my first stage 4 clutch.

Basically.. im overpowering the clutch.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-05-05 01:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4448, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 2

TOB, pressureplate, or disk. Something is wrong with the clutch, not the trans.

CM clutches shouldn't fail like that... makes no sense...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Teamdougie2Jun-05-05 02:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#4451, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by siueclipse
Basically.. im overpowering the clutch.

No, you're not.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

siueclipseJun-05-05 02:45 PM
3504 posts,
#4459, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by dougie2
Originally posted by siueclipse Basically.. im overpowering the clutch.
No, you're not.

how do you figure. 400hp clutch. 400 or more car.

typhoid maryJun-05-05 04:13 PM
Member since Dec 26th 2004
24 posts,
#4460, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 5

No, you're not.

Where are you getting 400 or more? Your car only makes 337hp. Driving style can seriously impact the longevity of a clutch. That is most likely why your clutch failed.

rs-pssstJun-06-05 08:04 AM
Member since Nov 13th 2004
158 posts,
#4466, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 6

I was experiencing the disengaging problems too. I have a spec stage 4 with 10k miles on it. I haven't taken it to the strip yet and i am pushing about 300whp. Two nights ago it started to not want to go into gear and disengage properly. Yesterday, I was driving down the highway in stop and go traffic and the only gear i could get it into was 4th (forcefully).

About 15 minutes of having major problems getting the car into gear, the car locked up it's tires and came to a screaching halt, stalled the engine and I had to get pushed off the highway and towed home.

I am pulling this apart as we speak and if it's spec's fault i'm gonna ream them a new one. I could have been seriously injured by the tranny lockup and the cars cars that were slamming on their brakes behind me.

I shouldn't talk before the tranny is out, but it will be by the end of tonight -I have seen other people with the same problems on the spec stage 3 and others with no problem at all. If its the clutch anyone else want to get on a lawsuit bandwagon against spec?

-Chris

CarbonFiberRSTJun-06-05 10:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#4467, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 7
Jun-06-05 10:06 AM by CarbonFiberRST

Originally posted by rs-pssst
the car locked up it's tires and came to a screaching halt, stalled the engine and I had to get pushed off the highway

Sounds to me like the plastic bearings disenegrated. Thats what mine did, twice... while I had a centerforce clutch

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

siueclipseJun-06-05 10:56 AM
3504 posts,
#4468, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by typhoid mary
No, you're not.
Where are you getting 400 or more? Your car only makes 337hp. Driving style can seriously impact the longevity of a clutch. That is most likely why your clutch failed.

I hardly drive this car. Clutch horsepower is measured at the flywheel, not the ground. 337whp car is 400 or more flywheel.

FunRSJun-12-05 12:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
#4514, "RE: Clutch not disengaging? wtf..."
In response to Reply # 9

sounds like the tran might be bad. mine did the same thing. I was like no problem I'll change the clucth. Get the trany out and nothing wrong with the clucth. So I truned the input shaft and get about five truns on it and it would lock up. Put a little a** on it and it would pop and spin freely for a little and do the same thing agian. So had to put a reman trany in. Never did find out what cased it to do that.

99 RS AEM Coldair intake
18x7 somethings
Phantom Tach W/Shift Light
A/F gauge
Kenwood KVT-512
Boston Acustic 6.5 up front& Fosgate 6.5 in back Alpine AMP MRV-F302 Pionner XM satellite radio
NX wet 50 shoot

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4439 Previous topic | Next topic