Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1396
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Trans rebuild questions" Previous topic | Next topic
wickedtalonSep-11-03 10:11 AM
Member since Jan 04th 2002
978 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1396, "Trans rebuild questions"

I blew the diff pin out of my trans and now i am putting the new housing and diff into the good half of the transmission. I've got it cleaned out and everything ready to go back together but I cant get it to line up. Is there a trick to putting the two halves together? I put my sealant on it and then i found out it didnt want to fit. I am not scraping off the sealant so that i can figure out whats stopping it. POS. I hate trannys. I need to get this dumb thing in so that i can sell this car!

// Jim // 95 Talon / 99 Eclipse (sold)

Cincinnati,OH

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Teamner947Sep-11-03 12:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1397, "RE: Trans rebuild questions"
In response to Reply # 0

that's the most pleasurable part of a transmission rebuild! lol...

getting those 2 case halves back together is pretty annoying. a lot more than it should be. here is what armond has to say about getting the NV-T350 back together:

"...Now apply the 518 to the tranny side of the assembly (a CONSTANT bead. any breaks in the line will make a leak). Use the cardboard card that came with the new output shaft bearing to hold it in place in the bell housing. The side with the plastic around the OUTER edge of the base of the rollers goes on bottom against the output shaft. Wedge the cardboard in between the bearing and the bellhousing, and thread the cardboard with thread. have the tranny on the press, and sit the bell housing up on the input shaft, lined up with the shift rails and the output shaft (IF YOUR TRANNY IS KIND OF OLD, THE HOUSING SHOULD SLIDE OVER THE INPUT SHAFT WITHOUT AN ISSUE AND PRESSING IS NOT NEEDED). Now begin to press down around the input shaft (use a metal pipe). As the output shaft comes closer to the bearing, remove the cardboard with the thread without breaking the Locktite seal. if you break it, just squirt some more on it and seal it back up. now, keep it coming on down with the press. if it seems to be hanging up around the output shaft area, it probably is, Try the cardboard thing AGAIN!. (hopefully you didn't break the bearing when it hung up). after you get it going, it WILL hang up on the shifter rails. tap the rail with a flat screwdriver, and it should line up and continue to come down. after it gets going good, it may hang up on one of the lower shifter rails. get something EXTREMELY skinny (like a file) to tap it with. The tranny may suddenly slam shut, catching your file with it. Just release some of the pressure, and re-seal the spot with 518. After it is back together, tighten all the 1/2 in bolts with thread locker to about 21 ft. lb. Re-install the tranny."

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeametxSep-11-03 04:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#1399, "RE: Trans rebuild questions"
In response to Reply # 1

I was having a really hard time, it took me about 20 min. The cylender shaped berrings that fit into the bell housing and sit on the shaft that turns the diff. a couple came out of the plastic holder and were keeping me from getting the bell housing on. Once i poped them back in I used a screw driver to align the 4 small shafts and it droped down, almost all the way. At that point you need to press on both of the guide pins on the front and back of the trans housing to set it the rest of the way down. Take a logical look at it and take your time, it will go on.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1396 Previous topic | Next topic