Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2709
View in threaded mode

Subject: "3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?" Previous topic | Next topic
Initial DSMMay-06-04 02:19 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2709, "Poll question: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
May-06-04 02:26 PM by Initial DSM

Hey

Just found out that I can get a brand new PT cruiser tranny with Quaife installed. Only thing is its $1500 .

I have a quaife, but I was looking for a 3.55 sohc tranny to use it with first. Also was looking for maybe a used PT tranny.

Now I hear the PT is much stronger than the 3.55 sohc tranny as per the Neons that run with them (Mohler's Neon for example). A PT tranny should bolt up fine to our cars and will use a Quaife for 420a fine.

SRT-4 tranny needs custom fabrication and axles, but I just threw that chocie in for fun.

Seinz makes a 5 speed Race tranny for neons; dunno the price but im sure it aint cheap.

So should I keep my Quaife or sell it and get the new PT tranny? I'm aiming at 450 to 500hp, so with slicks I just want something that'll hold up. Before you guys quote HRC numbers, I know Bill Hahn has a stock tranny supposidly and all, but I'm just going by the majority of 420a users, which happens be Neon owners as far as reliability of the 420a tranny under high boost applications as a reference.

Poll result (1 votes)
keep Quaife and install in stock 420a tranny (0 votes)Vote
keep Quaife and install in neon sohc 3.55 tranny (0 votes)Vote
sell Quaife and get PT cruiser tranny with Quaife (1 votes)Vote
sell Quaife and get SRT-4 tranny with Quaife with custom axles($) (0 votes)Vote
keep Quaife and look for a used PT cruiser tranny (0 votes)Vote
sell Quaife and get Seinz race tranny : O (0 votes)Vote

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TeamJasonESi_TMay-06-04 04:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2710, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 0

You're not talking about the PT Cruiser turbo tranny, are you? That's a Getrag tranny and I doubt it'd be conversant with a 2gnt setup.

Another thing to note, is that the SRT-4 tranny is a LOT larger as noted by others here. I've heard the steering rack is completely different that our own and would need quite a bit of custom work should someone try to shoehorn it into a 2GNT or even a 1st gen neon.

I say, go with a 2nd gen neon's NVG-T350 3.55 from a SOHC Neon. Then you get the additional 30 lbs of torque rating with the more turbo friendly gearing.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Initial DSMMay-06-04 08:34 PM
2833 posts,
#2711, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 1
May-06-04 08:39 PM by Initial DSM

Originally posted by JasonESi_T
You're not talking about the PT Cruiser turbo tranny, are you? That's a Getrag tranny and I doubt it'd be conversant with a 2gnt setup. Another thing to note, is that the SRT-4 tranny is a LOT larger as noted by others here. I've heard the steering rack is completely different that our own and would need quite a bit of custom work should someone try to shoehorn it into a 2GNT or even a 1st gen neon. I say, go with a 2nd gen neon's NVG-T350 3.55 from a SOHC Neon. Then you get the additional 30 lbs of torque rating with the more turbo friendly gearing.

Nah I meant a nt PT tranny. theyre selling em presintalled with the Quaife. this isnt of course a oem desision, more like an aftermarket idea thought up as a mod choice for neon racers/owners. Just heard that some of the neon owners are going this route as a way of bulletproofing their setup now that people are hitting higher hp numbers and the stock trannies are showing their max threshold for power. I do appreciate the longer gears of the sohc tranny though..

edit - I now realize no one reads these threads here lol

MajinVejitaXVMay-07-04 05:49 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
#2713, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 2

What kind of transmission comes in the PT? If it's the NVG-T850, like the SRT4 (which would make sense), then you're gonna have some issues. See the thread I posted below.

Anyway, a tranny with a Quaife LSD installed at $1500 isn't bad, as the LSD itself runs about $1200, at least in the T350's case.

-Corey

Initial DSMMay-07-04 09:24 AM
2833 posts,
#2714, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by MajinVejitaXV
What kind of transmission comes in the PT? If it's the NVG-T850, like the SRT4 (which would make sense), then you're gonna have some issues. See the thread I posted below. Anyway, a tranny with a Quaife LSD installed at $1500 isn't bad, as the LSD itself runs about $1200, at least in the T350's case. -Corey

I forget exactly whether its the all motor Mopar neon or the turbo one, but one of them has the PT hooked up to it already and no problems. This is the NT PT tranny, which is different from the turbo version. Only just recently I believe, has the turbo version been even available in 5 speed. But from what I hear, this is completly different scenario from the headaches of installing a srt-4 transmission, which I looked into by calling forwardmotioninc as well , about a year ago. SO i dont think bolting up will be a problem, i will find out for sure exactly ; maybe just have to change the bell housing not sure...

2g99RSNCMay-07-04 09:32 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
894 posts,
#2715, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 4

i'll be dropping in the pt tranny along with the built motor so i would say go for the pt tranny.
I've got a friend running this tranny in his neon and he hit 12.2 in the quater on 3 cylinders and he gives this tranny living hell and has not had a problem with it yet. also its in the drag neon they've went through clutches and everything else but have yet to have any problems with the tranny.

^^Work in progress pic
www.fastfabrications.com

Initial DSMMay-07-04 10:45 AM
2833 posts,
#2716, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 2g99RSNC
i'll be dropping in the pt tranny along with the built motor so i would say go for the pt tranny. I've got a friend running this tranny in his neon and he hit 12.2 in the quater on 3 cylinders and he gives this tranny living hell and has not had a problem with it yet. also its in the drag neon they've went through clutches and everything else but have yet to have any problems with the tranny. ^^Work in progress pic www.fastfabrications.com

you got the same deal / price?

would like to see a chart comparison of these gear ratios..

MajinVejitaXVMay-08-04 05:57 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
#2725, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 6

1st 3.50
2nd 1.96
3rd 1.36
4th 0.971
5th 0.811
Reverse 3.42
Final Drive 3.45

Those are the ratios I found for the PT. I have no idea what transmission it is, but I'd like to know. Hell, if it's a viable alternative to the NVG-T350, I'm interested... (not to say anything bad about our transmissions, I just know they have some issues that have been discussed).

-Corey

eclipse98rsHRCMay-09-04 06:29 AM
Member since Nov 24th 2002
104 posts,
#2734, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 0

You've been pm'd.

Craig

Initial DSMMay-14-04 01:46 PM
2833 posts,
#2777, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 8

well I ordered it if anyone still cares. (the PT tranny)

KirbyMay-14-04 02:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#2778, "RE: 3.55 neon tranny or PT tranny?"
In response to Reply # 9

All I want to know is why this is an upgrade to the neon tranny? Did they use titanium? Or just thicker metal gears or what? Also the t-350's do hold some power, Dino runs the SOHC neon gearset too. I would just like to know what makes it bullet proof...

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2709 Previous topic | Next topic