Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5714
View in threaded mode

Subject: "problems after ATX to MTX swap" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
DSMTalonSep-06-06 12:46 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2005
267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5714, "problems after ATX to MTX swap"
Sep-06-06 12:49 PM by DSMTalon

ok so i swapped out my atx w/ an mtx from an avenger.. ok this is what i used from the avenger: tranny, master cylinder, clutch & brake pedals, vss connector. ok from a 2gnt: shifter assembly & cables, along w/ a mtx computer. for a clutch i went w/ a SBC OFE clutch, and i replaced the slave cylinder cuz it was leaking. so now after installing it and getting everything bled (dot4 synthetic brake fluid) and filled w/ mopar fluid for the tranny... the sucker grinds between 1-2...but only above 3k rpm. below that it will go into gear with some effort, but no grinding. and with all the other gears the tranny is hard to shift into gear, but it doesnt grind, it just required excessive effort to get it into gear. but w/ the engine off, it shifts into gear like butter. so whats up with that? also, i did the clutch restrictor mod when i installed the slave cylinder... and the clutch pedal seems "soggy" for lack of a better word. ive bled the clutch quite a bit, even used a vacuum bleeder on it and still havent seen an improvment in pedal feel. do i need to put back in the restrictor? could that be part of the hard to get into gear? and whats up with the 1-2 thing? bad synchros? i wouldnt think so cuz the tranny shifted fine in the avenger w/ no known problems.... any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

also: is there any difference between the atx axle shafts and the mtx axle shafts cuz i noticed today when i had my car up on the lift that the passenger axle shaft isnt seated all the way in the differential, and despite my best efforts i cant get it to fully seat... do i need to swap it w/ a MTX one? or am i just being retarted with it?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-06-06 06:23 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5715, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 0

either the trans is shot....I would take that assumption just yet, or you have air in you clutch lines. The clutch lines are difficult to get the air out of. I reverse bleed them by forcing fluid up from the slave cylinder.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ChamukoSep-06-06 08:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5717, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 1

Its going to take you a good two bottles from a completely dry system to get most of the air out and everyting tip top.

I would second the tranny is shot argument though. Is the clutch pedal bolted down completely? so that when you push on it its just the pedal and not its base that moves? Is the master leaking at all? Are all the clips on the cables and brackets there?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

DSMTalonSep-08-06 06:56 AM
267 posts,
#5720, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah the clutch pedal is bolted down well. i checked out the shifter cables and noticed that the brackets on the tranny were moving quite a bit so i re-tightened the bolts, one was a little loose..and re-intalled the shifter cable clips... that helped out a lot with the shifter feel. as far as the master cylinder goes. im almost positive the first seal on it is shot, so im gonna replace it later today and go from there. otherwise im still having problems w/ 1-2 synchro... it wont grind if i shift below 3k...anything above that and forget it. so ive either timed my shifts to get second, otherwise skipped it and went for 3rd. anybody got a Part # for that shaft that the 1-2 syncrho is on since ive heard that the synchro isnt servicable?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-08-06 12:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#5721, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 3

If you want to pay $900 for it, by all means. You can look up the number in CAPS on the main site.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ChamukoSep-08-06 06:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5722, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 4

yeah, its more of a PIA then its worth. Your better off finding a good tranny and keeping that one for parts. Did you buy this one in good condition? Did you drive the car it was on? or was it a shot in the dark?

Member # 751

(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

bluevengeSep-09-06 02:26 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2006
3 posts,
#5723, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 5

the axles are the same u should be able to get it to go in...
the syncro prob got screwed the first time you shifted to second with the shifter bracket not tight...

1995 dodge avenger 420a 5-speed swap ...slammed ....boosted ....ect

DSMTalonSep-11-06 04:54 PM
267 posts,
#5724, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah the car the tranny was bought out of was in good order..all except the HG went on the engine.. but i had drove the car about 3 weeks before the HG went... and it shifted fine. but i dunno something could have happened in the mean time... but i guess i can live with it. anyway as far as the axle shaft goes i swapped it out w/ the original from that mtx tranny and it went in no problem...so thats one problem solved. while i was doing that i checked out the shifter linkage and found that the cable bracket had a tendency to crawl around a bit and one of the C clips wasnt installed properly so i straightened that out and tightened up the bolts for that bracket so they were mucho tight and then i swapped out the master cylinder for a rebuild and re-installed the clutch restrictor...and well now it feels a LOT better... goes into gear a lot easier and what not.. but still the 1-2 synchro is still fuggard'd. but ive figured out how to live with it. just wait a few seconds to grab second and it'll go in like butter. now just i think i just didnt lube up the TOB quite enough or something... cuz i get this obnoxious squealing in the tranny...and it goes away when i press in on the clutch pedal just a little bit. so can i expect that to eventually go away or will it haunt me for a long time? i lubed that sucker up w/ some grease on the shaft, around the bearing and i used a hyperdermic needle to inject a little grease in the bearing itself. but i didnt get real carried away cuz i didnt want grease everywhere inside the housing. i guess the last question to compelete this little project is what can i do for a shift boot? i want to upgade the knob and boot for the whole little cosmetic thing... but do i need to get a factory boot first? or just adapt and overcome?

ChamukoSep-12-06 10:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5729, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 7

That does sound like the TO bearing, I had a friend do it while I was doing something else... he broke the tab. I Ghetto fixed it, it squeaked at first, but now is quiet ( 1.5K miles). The synchros... sounds like they just went, bad driving habits, age and imrpoper lubrication could all be to blame.

Sounds like your almost there. The only thing with the factory boot is that it has a plastic rim at the bottom that screws on to the console. other then that its just vinyl sewn together.

The knob just screws on, so you can get pretty much anything that fits.

Member # 751

DSMTalonSep-12-06 02:17 PM
267 posts,
#5730, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 8

im almost positive its the TOB...but im not too worried about it. if it squeals it does... maybe it'll just scare away the little kids. but as far as "there-ness" goes.. im there except for the little cosmetic upgrade of replacing a worn out shifter knob and the lack of a boot..one thing i did notice that was missing from the writeup is that i did have to change the flex plate cover to one for the MTX to get all the right bolt holes. otherwise everything else was about as straight forward as you can get. and i must say im liking it. great mod.

ChamukoSep-14-06 08:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5734, "RE: problems after ATX to MTX swap"
In response to Reply # 9

really? I used my AT one, sure it was not backwards? Ill add a note about it i guess.

Take lots and lots of pics for others?

Member # 751

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5714 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic