Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7512
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Those with tranny problems - pls read" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorjuanFeb-28-01 12:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7512, "Those with tranny problems - pls read"

You may remember my post on the tranny problems I'm having.

Well, the story from the dealer is that the lowering springs causes a torque to be applied to the drive axles, which resulted in a failure of the carrier bearings, the parts of which crunched up the tranny.

They said that this is a common problem with lowered cars, the lower the more common the problem. One guy got it after 8,000 miles.

What I'd like to know is how many of you with failed trannies also had lowering springs installed.

If there is any truth to their claim, then we may need to consider warning everone of the dangers of this mod. The quote for repairs is sitting at $2600!

Thanks,
juan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
TeamStan2gntFeb-28-01 12:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7513, "RE: Those with tranny problems - pls read"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like a good answer to get out of warranty work. Not to say there isn't any relavence but come on that sounds like pure speculation. Everytime you suspension goes up and down your putting diffenrent angles of torque on the tranny so I guess its doomed to blow up sooner or later. Most failures are from the diff pin coming out anyway (I assume he dismantled and inspected all the tranny parts to come to this conclusion something hardly any dealer will take the time to do. He likely saw the lowering springs and bam instant diagnosis). Lowering springs were the first thing I did to my car when it had about 35K miles. My tranny lasted 103K miles with the last 40K of abusive first timer nitrous use. Hell sounds like a risk I'm just gonna have to take. Wonder what the REAL experts (who know something about modified cars) take on this is like RRE for example.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS but T soon!
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorjuanFeb-28-01 01:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#7514, "Well, here is Mike@RRE's response"
In response to Reply # 1

MikeW, the God of the DSM world, has provided me with some excellent info, listed below. At some point when this whole deal is over I'll write this up and post it on the web site for anyone else encountering this problem to use.

Myself, I wish I knew how these mechanical bits worked well enough to be able to argue myself. Until that day, I'm glad we have guys like Mike on our side...

juan

<<<
Full uneducated bull shit.

They will need to prove it. If the car was so low that was actually happening, there will be proof. You and the dumb a$$ service advisor will pull apart the inner CV joints. The inner joints have the free play in them to allow the axles to move in and out as the suspension moves up and down through an arc. As it moves, the distance between the tranny and wheel bearing hub changes. The inner joint allows that to happen. If the car was so low that the axles were jamming into the transmission hard enough to kill the diff bearings, there will be obvious damage and wear marks on the inside of the inner CV joint. You will see where it was bottoming out inside the joint, and that would be driving the joint into the transmission. You would also see marks on the joint where it was wearing further into the transmission. There wont be a mark on it.

Tell the dealer you want the zone rep to come out and get involved.

XT_DSMFeb-28-01 01:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#7515, "RE: Those with tranny problems - pls read"
In response to Reply # 1

http://members.dencity.com/xtdsm

man really wish I knew your car was droped b4 taking it in, otherwise I could have told you to take them off cause the dealer also gave me the same shit with broken axle, then tranny. it's a dealer thing, they will always find away to cancel your warranty. I don't think lowering the car has to do anything with tranny failure. I actually think it's even better since the suspension does not have to travel as much as it would with stock springs. which means the axle won't have to sit as high (stock height) and when you hit a dip or something on the road it won't have to bounce all over the place, it will just bounce one time with after market springs and shocks.

you know what I mean?

Juan, if that's the case, go and get a used tranny for less than $800 and have either the dealer or any other shop to do the job (almost any shop would be fine since replacing the tranny does not involve a lot) ( I did it myself in less than 6 hours )

Adel

eclipsekaiserFeb-28-01 01:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#7516, "RE: Those with tranny problems - pls read"
In response to Reply # 3

Which dealer did you take it to Juan? I assume you went to San Bernardino since you are in the Redlands. They are a$$holes there at san Berdo.

-K-

SkrillaFeb-28-01 04:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#7517, "How low are you?"
In response to Reply # 0

...and I think you should change the tranny yourself or learn how because you can purchase a GOOD used tranny for 700 bucks or less and save yourself the 2000 that could better be spent on modifying your engine. I think it sounds like Bullsh!t because the axles each sit on their own TWO Universla joints and are simply held up up by the hub and tranny which *ONLY* applies their weight not some unatural weight transfer of 20 or so pounds. Changing the ride height would in NO WAY change an axle's weight or the *ANGLE* at which the Universal joint normally operates or presses against the tranny. Only the bearing in the outter and common CV joint is where the extra pressure would be, in through wheel rotation, cornering pressure and wider rim/ tire combo. So I will also back up my theory with other cloud cars, there are SO many of us lowered then it would happen to us all or more than just you. Maybe I should repeat that: According to the dealership this WOULD HAPPEN TO US ALL. They have never had this problem, at least that I know of, not to mention this would concievably happen to other cars as well. Lastly this: It's the DEALER you're talking to. Now matter whom it may be, even down to that cute little girl behind the parts counter, they are out to get you(BTW I used to sell cars)!! I simply don't believe it since the axles sorta just hang off the tranny

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

ModeratorjuanFeb-28-01 06:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#7518, "RE: How low are you?"
In response to Reply # 5

1.3" with the ProKits.

The thing is, they said that a lot of cars have been coming in with problems like this, and a lot of them have been lowered. In fact, the tow truck driver said mine was the third Eclipse he's towed in during the past week. All this is certainly not enough to say its a causal relationship, however.

The decision isn't final, yet. I get along very well with the Service Coordinators, and know the Service Manager, and the Coordinator said they are going to push for warranty coverage with the regional rep. I'm waiting for a positive resolution before I have to consider going to battle over it.

If they won't cover it, and nothing changes after fighting, then I'll definitely look at fixing it some other way. Any of you SoCalers want to help out with a tranny install this weekend???

juan

eclipsekaiserFeb-28-01 07:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#7519, "RE: How low are you?"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm game if you could hold out until next weekend. I work at the LA marathon this weekend...sorry.

-K-

XT_DSMFeb-28-01 08:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#7520, "RE: How low are you?"
In response to Reply # 6

http://members.dencity.com/xtdsm

>>The decision isn't final, yet. I get along very well with the Service Coordinators, and know the Service Manager, and the Coordinator said they are going to push for warranty coverage with the regional rep. I'm waiting for a positive resolution before I have to consider going to battle over it. <<

Juan, that's exactly what they told me, they made me wait for 5 days (till Mitsu rep showed up, or as they told me) then 5 days latter they told me they will try to help me out by finding another used tranny and putting it one and my cost will be "only $2500 or maybe a bit more") and I was like I will bring you the used tranny and you guys put it on, guess what they said "NO" so I ended up towing my car back home and paying $200 ( I live 80 miles away from the dealer ) and buying a used tranny myself and putting it on for the first time. trust me it's nothing major, the only hard thing is to get the new tranny in without having a tranny jack and with the help of your girlfreind only (the damn thing was heavy). other than that it's a matter of taking the axles, batter and batter tray off, taking some bolts here and there, and the thing just comes right off. you can do it on your own. I wish I was close enough to help you out, I am in CA, but in bay area tho.

Adel

TeamStan2gntMar-01-01 12:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#7521, "RE: How low are you?"
In response to Reply # 8

http://www.car-part.com You'll get a low miliage tranny for about $500. $600 max

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS but T soon!
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

TeamDeanoDMar-01-01 12:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#7522, "also consider Dan at allmitsubishi.com"
In response to Reply # 9

His business is to locate used parts. He might be able to find you a used tranny in your area. This would save shipping and maybe just the cost of a rental car for the day. Dan is super cool and it would be worth a phone call.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7512 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic