Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1649
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Clutchmasters VS Spec???" Previous topic | Next topic
JustOneOct-28-03 08:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1649, "Clutchmasters VS Spec???"

Clutch Masters Stage 4 vs. Spec stage 4. To me the SPEC "looks" to be the better clutch, in both grab and longer life. I have been running the CM stage 4 (non-mod) w/ aluminum flywheel for as long as I have been putting down real power. I like the grab but hate the short life. Right now I am on my 4th stage 4 clutch and am getting tired of only getting 20-30k miles out of it.

From reading the CM site and from first had experience the clutch isn’t all that "advanced". As far as I can see it uses a stock pressure plate w/ a four puck disk and your choice of flywheel (non-mod or mod and steel or aluminum)

From reading the SPEC site they say it has a higher load pressure plate w/ a 6 puck disk. So just from seeing that I would think that a stronger pressure plate and more material on the disk would make it a better clutch in both grab and life span, but I guess I won’t know for sure until I put one on.

What are your thoughts???

Brian

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ChamukoOct-30-03 02:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1658, "RE: Clutchmasters VS Spec???"
In response to Reply # 0

In theory it sounds fine. Im barely getting into the clutch stuff so bump for you though, sorry I cant help more
C'mon guys this is one of our top guys and he needs some words from ya

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamXtremeRSOct-30-03 03:39 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1659, "RE: Clutchmasters VS Spec???"
In response to Reply # 1

I have had many discussions with my clutch builder about clutches and all that. First, he says that the number of buttons on the disk deosnt really effect the holding power of the clutch, but rather the ease of using the clutch. You would think otherwise, but its just not true that the more buttons on the disk, the more holding power. Second, clutchmasters and Spec use the same exact pressure plate, most likely a LUK. From what I know, both use re-worked versions of the LUK, to give a greater clamp load. Both companies claim to have a greater clamp load over stock, but how much, is not known exactly unless it is tested in a plate load tester. The only things you can do for a stronger clutch is to increase the clamp load(but there is a limit), the TYPE of friction material(the coeficient of friction on ceramic is almost the best you can get), and increase the overall diameter of the clutch disk(can only go a tad bit larger than stock). If a clutch masters stage 4 isnt doing it for you, then the Spec wont be much better. Both are about the same thing really. The problem with upping the plate load pressure is one, it puts a lot of presure on the engine bearins, and two, if the load is too much, you run the risk of the clutch not disengaging. I read in HRC's post of him in the 10's, that he had a dual disk clutch made for him. If you can get hold of Bill, maybe he can let you in on what he uses. It seems odd that your clutches are only lasting 20 or 30 thousand miles though? You are using ceramic facings on your clutch, and those should last a looog time. You will actually wear into the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces before you wear down the facings. The ceramic is a very hard material.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

JustOneOct-30-03 07:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#1661, "RE: Clutchmasters VS Spec???"
In response to Reply # 2

I know a bunch of guys on this board have said they only got 20-30k out of their cm stage 4. Life of the clutch all depends on how you drive and what kind of power you put to it.

I just wanted to see what other people felt about SPEC being that I have yet to put one in my car.

Clutch Masters will build you anything you want. I know they have started advertising their street, strip, carbon multi disk kits.

Im just going to have them make me a carbon on carbon and be done w/ it.

grainOct-31-03 04:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#1662, "RE: Clutchmasters VS Spec???"
In response to Reply # 3

i just purchased a spec stg 3 clutch. i dont know exacly what its stats are. i just know that im gonna need a new clutch soon. so might aswell stick it in when im rebuildingthe engine.

HiOnPSINov-11-03 08:14 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#1736, "RE: Clutchmasters VS Spec???"
In response to Reply # 4

35k on my CM Stage 1 and it's holding up just fine.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

TeamJasonESi_TNov-12-03 05:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#1737, "RE: Clutchmasters VS Spec???"
In response to Reply # 5

I agree with MAtt, really, about a lot of it.

Like most modifications with our cars, except for the quality of the product (meaning, will it break it or not over extended use), if the product performs its intended purpose, there's only so much technology built into it.

These clutches have a propietary pressure plate and clutch disk and that's it. There's only so many disk facings that can be used, and after that, it's all the same. As far as pressure plates, it's pretty clear that the 420a platform doesn't have an ACT type available with a high pressure plate.

So, choose your clutch facing, sprung or unsprung, pucked or not, and be done with it. I've got a 6 puck, sprung clutch and the stock pressure plate, and it's held up to a ton of boost (15+ psi) without slipping for over 6k miles. I'm happy with it and it didn't cost me a ton of money.

I'm still hella grateful that Matt hooked me with his clutch guy! Don't fall for the hype guys. It's my opinion that ClutchMasters are friggin theives by charging as much as they are for their clutches($700+). You can bet your ass that when my clutch wears out, I'll be using Matt's guy at Clutch Dynamics again, and won't blink twice! That's my opinion and I'm stick'in to it!

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

ChamukoNov-12-03 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#1739, "RE: Clutchmasters VS Spec???"
In response to Reply # 6

So can you give me some contact info for this "guy at clutch dynamics"?

How much did your come out to?

6 puck sprung sounds nice.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

JWoodleyNov-26-03 06:31 PM
Member since Mar 27th 2003
2335 posts,
#1808, "RE: Clutchmasters VS Spec???"
In response to Reply # 7

SPEC is located in AL, so they are way cool IMO. If I ever had problems, I could take a 45 minute trip and try to work something out. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that SPEC has the highest clamp load or something to that effect. check it out:

http://www.specclutch.com/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1649 Previous topic | Next topic