Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6182
View in threaded mode

Subject: "quaife install" Previous topic | Next topic
streetlightningFeb-21-07 02:33 PM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6182, "quaife install"

hey guys, im lookin at installing my LSD while im doing my 3.55 swap, ive got the 3.55 open, now i know i need to replace all these:
speedo gear 1 4797316
Bearing Cups 2 4567022
Cone Roller bearings 2 4567025AB
Mopar Trans fluid 3 4874465
Differential ring gear bolts 12 4761105
Case half sealant 1 4318083
Axle seal 2 4797334
correct?
then to isntall the lsd do i need to do anything special?
i put the ring gear n with new bolts,
have the 2 new cone bearings pressed on, is there a certain pressure they need to be pressed on with or what?
then set the diff in, per the 3.55 instaltion write up?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
grainFeb-20-07 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6185, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont understand your number rambling.
but i just had the new bearings pressed on, then install the ring gear with new bolts. then stuck her in there then did some figure 8's around a parking lot to break the quaife in, and thats it.,

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

streetlightningFeb-20-07 03:43 PM
778 posts,
#6188, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 1

no shimming or anything? how long have u had it in?

ChamukoFeb-20-07 07:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#6190, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 2

honestly, If you dont have the factory manual. Get it. If not let a shop that can guarantee the work do it.

You will need some sealer for the tranny.
You do need the new bolts for the gear.

You dont really need the new speedo gear and such unless they are no good or if you want to change them out just in case.

No this is not a RWD Diff so no need to Shim or adjust anything if everything is done right.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

streetlightningFeb-21-07 05:11 AM
778 posts,
#6193, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 3

kool, i orderd all the parts, and im going to have the shop press the cone and roller bearings on. then i should just be able to drop it in once ive torqued,loctite'd the ring gear, correct.

ChamukoFeb-21-07 06:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#6194, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 4

Correct. It slips right in. Put the sealer on one of the case halfs and plop them together.

The only thing you might run into is the bearing on the input half of the case falling out while you close it. Or to get the shafts to slip into their sockets.

Ive heard of people struggling with those two. Nothing a lilttle common sense wont prevent though.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

donnyb373Feb-21-07 09:34 AM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
#6195, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Chamuko
Correct. It slips right in. Put the sealer on one of the case halfs and plop them together. The only thing you might run into is the bearing on the input half of the case falling out while you close it. Or to get the shafts to slip into their sockets. Ive heard of people struggling with those two. Nothing a lilttle common sense wont prevent though.

+1

i put the ball housing on my work bench then picked up the gearset then SLOWLY AND GENTLY lowerd it down onto the bell, makin sure not to crush the roller bearing with the shaft, a little twisting and it will snap shut, use a flash light to look into the gap in the halves to make sure you dont crush the cage that holds the bearing together.

i also took some wheel bearing grease and greased the shift rail tips and input/output shaft so it would slid into place a little easyer.

taclipseMar-02-07 02:12 PM
Member since Apr 12th 2004
200 posts,
#6213, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Chamuko
honestly, If you dont have the factory manual. Get it. If not let a shop that can guarantee the work do it. You will need some sealer for the tranny. You do need the new bolts for the gear. You dont really need the new speedo gear and such unless they are no good or if you want to change them out just in case. No this is not a RWD Diff so no need to Shim or adjust anything if everything is done right.

Incorrect. The differential needs the right amount of preload in order to function properly. I just pulled mine out and am in the process of shimming it as we speak. If you ever replace the races in the tranny you will see the shims behind the races if any exist. My problem was that i had WAAYYYYY too much endplay. I'll post up a screen shot from mitchell or alldata later about the procedure. Some people might get away without shimming but i didnt.... you might just get lucky.

grainMar-02-07 05:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#6214, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 7

ya, shimming might be needed. id say, if you install the quaife, see if there is any pla in the unit when in the tranny. ive had mine in for about 7k miles and i dont need shims. and mine are good. tranny was used, and same race was used from factory.

taclipseMar-03-07 01:42 PM
Member since Apr 12th 2004
200 posts,
#6218, "RE: quaife install"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by grain
ya, shimming might be needed. id say, if you install the quaife, see if there is any pla in the unit when in the tranny. ive had mine in for about 7k miles and i dont need shims. and mine are good. tranny was used, and same race was used from factory.

I wish i was in the same boat.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6182 Previous topic | Next topic