Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2345
View in threaded mode

Subject: "neon auto transmission?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
talon_esiDec-05-03 11:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2345, "neon auto transmission?"
Dec-05-03 11:27 AM by talon_esi

ok i've looked up a search on this but all i could find was topics on manual transmissions i need info on an automatic.

ok all i want to know is will an automatic neon transmission fit or bolt right up to my auto 2gnt? from what i can understand is that for the manual transmission you have to swap the bell housing because you have to mount the 5 speed hyro thing but what about my auto?

oops! can someone move this to the auto trans section!
thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
TeamMichael_97RSDec-05-03 11:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2346, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes it bolts up, but it's not a computer controlled trans. Glacius has just finished with this swap. Not sure on mounting either. I would only do this swap on a high power strip only car, the extra gear the A604 gives you is nice for highway and cruising.

To the auto trans section.

http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

talon_esiDec-05-03 01:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
#2347, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Michael_97RS
Yes it bolts up, but it's not a computer controlled trans. Glacius has just finished with this swap. Not sure on mounting either. I would only do this swap on a high power strip only car, the extra gear the A604 gives you is nice for highway and cruising.

so what do i have to do to make this tranny work?

oRACLe063Dec-31-03 07:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2663 posts,
#2446, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 2

is it a 4 speed no o/d mike?

1997 RS AUTO

ORACLE063
1/4 - 17.021
60' - 2.510
Weight 2730

BlueMoonEclipseJan-07-04 12:07 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
#2468, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 3

its a 3 speed from what i know....

Dont know if it has lockup either dont think so...

A604 has lockup and OD....its great having 4 gears + lockup for cruising in long trips...but having a great trany thats been reliable for high power must be awesome for the strip

alain95i4Jan-09-04 06:42 AM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#2471, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 4

quote from the FAQ of neons.org

The Neon automatic transmission is a three-speed, mechanically-controlled unit. Shifts are regulated by throttle position via a cable attached to the throttle body, while an internal governor sets the maximum upshift speed at 6500 rpm. It has a lockup torque converter for improved mileage, but no overdrive like the manual has. It is an older Chrysler design, and as such, is a reliable, durable transmission. The automatic transmission is not a good match for the DOHC engine, because its shift points occur too early to make full use of the DOHC's high-revving power. DOHCs are rev-limited at 6750 rpm when coupled with the automatic transmission, due to limitations of the torque converter. For people with no tachometer, the SOHC turns about 3500 rpm at 80 mph in top gear, while the DOHC turns about 3750 rpm at the same speed

the good news: you could use a high stall non-lockup torque converter made for the turbo II cars of the late 80's early 90's and they are really affordable, the tranny is also a lot stronger than the a604
parts also available for that tranny: stronger manual valve body to convert the tranny into a full semi-automatic tranny, available in reversed or regular mode, shift kit are also available

the bad news; the final ratio is 2.98 for the SOHC and 3.19 for the DOHC if you want to keep an acceleration similar to the a604 you would need a final drive gears mode, however the gears for this mod are discontinued from chrysler, howell wss supposed to do a set of 1.3 and 1.4 multiplier but i have no details or updates on this

the tranny drops in the hole and according to Glacius the axels and the engine mounts are reusable, you will need to add a shift down cable that goes from the throttle body to the tranny

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

BlueMoonEclipseMar-04-04 02:00 PM
1352 posts,
#2602, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok i know this post is in page 2 but i dont want to make a new thread on this

So....all in all i need #1 neon trans, specialty mounts for trans and i need to make throtle connection for kickdown....so should (would??) an aftermarket at neon throtle body (like howells)work with it or should i keep the 2gnt one (dont think the neon one would even bolt to our intake)

That it?? anyone can call glacius???

alain95i4Mar-09-04 05:53 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#2623, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by BlueMoonEclipse
Ok i know this post is in page 2 but i dont want to make a new thread on this So....all in all i need #1 neon trans, specialty mounts for trans and i need to make throtle connection for kickdown....so should (would??) an aftermarket at neon throtle body (like howells)work with it or should i keep the 2gnt one (dont think the neon one would even bolt to our intake) That it?? anyone can call glacius???

the neon tb is the same tb as our cars
the only difference is the angle of the cable linkage

the tranny is easy to drop in Glacius even use the stock a604 engine mounts

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

BlueMoonEclipseMar-10-04 12:22 PM
1352 posts,
#2626, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 7

SWEEEET

Monster built 3 speed here i come

97whitESiMar-17-04 03:50 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#2656, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 8

in case you need to know, the trans model number is A413
if you want to build the trans, i think the high HP turbododge guys use minivan internals in theirs,

anyways, heres a good A413 site,
http://www.omniturbo.com/Turbo%20Mopars%20Home.htm

you can find more about them in the transmission section of http://www.turbododge.com/

BlueMoonEclipseMar-19-04 03:49 PM
1352 posts,
#2658, "RE: neon auto transmission?"
In response to Reply # 9

Yes when its on an old bellhousing...the one we need is an a670 (neon bellhousing)...suposedly its internalls are allready upgraded...leme ask mookie...

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2345 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic