Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2234
View in threaded mode

Subject: "HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??" Previous topic | Next topic
ashaleenicoleNov-15-03 06:02 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2003
608 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2234, "HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"

Okay, have a question. I know everyone is going to say I'm a retard for doing this, BUT, I just put 26k into my 98 eclipse RS for completely custom interior, paint, etc. I also got a Hahn Stage 2 Turbo and A LOT of engine mods. Was originally planning to convert my automatic into a stick, but decided against it because I THINK I'll be boasting enough HP not to need it. Since I decided to keep my automatic, I wanted a shift kit. Your site said to get a transtar. The people working on my car told me that in order to do the rebuild, I had to get the phantom grip LSD. He said my shift kit will not work without it. Is this true??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ChamukoNov-15-03 06:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2236, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 0

If they told you that then I dont know if I would be going to them to get your work done.

Shift kit does not need it at all. It will be a nice add on and make things a lot better down the road.

The issue of the differentials on our AT's and the MT's being the same has been discussed. Right now I dont remeber the final decision though. Last I heard they are but the ring gear is different.

You are stage 2 but plan on boosting big numbers? You do have a built engine right?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ajna_starNov-17-03 01:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
#2245, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 1

convert to stick lol... fuck a AT...if i dont sell my car, ill defintly swap in a MT.

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

ModeratorCorbinNov-17-03 06:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#2251, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 2

Yep...shift kit is unrelated to phantom grip. You can do a shift kit on a basically stock vehicle. Shift kits can be installed in an afternoon. Installing a phantom grip is much more involved (drop the tranny and pull the differential). Perhaps they are trying to weasel more money out of you.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

mcgyvrNov-17-03 07:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2253, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 3

yep a girl in a tranny shop, they are def. trying to screw you.

go somewhere else

the shift kit goes in the valve body
the pg goes in the differential. two totally different parts and locations

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

amljbsNov-17-03 08:43 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#2258, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 4

I say you tell them to fuck themselves and get your car back. First off if they realy believe what they are saying is true then they dont need to be working on your car. Second if they know that they are wrong and they are just trying to screw you then they dont need to be working on your car.

1998 Eclipse GST

ashaleenicoleNov-18-03 12:05 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2003
608 posts,
#2261, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 5

thanks guys. my boyfriend drives a honda civic, , and he got a really shitty engine swap done here, and they have screwed him out of SOOO much money. But i model for these guys and I guess I thought I was immune. I went back in with a print out of all your replies to my question, and shoved it in the salesmans face. He changed his story to..." well you have to get a new computer if you dont get phantom grip", and blah blah blah....in the end..got the shift kit, and rebuild kit free and only paid 300 bucks for a tranny rebuild. Thanks guys!

amljbsNov-18-03 04:18 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#2263, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 6

Glad to hear that we were able to help . Doesnt that shift kit feel nice. Push the pedal to the floor and feel the instant shift .

1998 Eclipse GST

TeamMichael_97RSNov-19-03 05:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2266, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah, they are completely unrelated. He's just trying to get more money out of you. If you want to do a limited slip conversion I have a better option for you, it is not required for the shift kit though.

http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

FranklindsmNov-19-03 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
490 posts,
#2267, "RE: HAVE to get phantom grip to get shift kit??"
In response to Reply # 8

Me needs to get the shift kit.

Formerly Gay
*TOTALLED* =(

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2234 Previous topic | Next topic