Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2025
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamdougie2Oct-01-03 11:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2025, "Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!"
Oct-01-03 11:29 PM by dougie2

They keep coming loose every 100 miles! I take the starter out and use a wrench to tighten them as tight as I can but they keep working themselves loose. The bolts are a bitch to tighten through the starter hole, as the cover plate blocks half of the bolt so I can't use a ratchet & socket like I want. I feel like cutting the damn cover plate and using a ratchet but I won't do that.

I picked up some Loctite RED and an 18mm crowfoot today and I hope that'll help me tighten them and keep them tight!

Any suggestions guys? Anyone use Loctite on your toque converter bolts?

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TXrepresentOct-02-03 04:16 AM
Member since Jun 24th 2003
541 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2026, "RE: Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!"
In response to Reply # 0

Loctite worked for me!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

soulcontrollerOct-02-03 06:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#2029, "RE: Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!"
In response to Reply # 1

im going to use loctite red on mine... well see how that goes.

thedawgOct-02-03 07:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#2031, "RE: Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!"
In response to Reply # 2

I tighten mine through the access hatch under the tranny. You have to remove the center crossmember and two small engine braces to get to it.

You can easily get a torque wrench in there.

I've driven 10k miles without incident using no Loctite, but I use Loctite blue now just for paranoia's sake.

soulcontrollerOct-02-03 07:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#2032, "RE: Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!"
In response to Reply # 3

what are the torque specs? i would feel more comfortable using blue... i dont want anything fused together.

Teamdougie2Oct-02-03 01:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2035, "RE: Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!"
In response to Reply # 3

>I tighten mine through the access hatch under the tranny.
>You have to remove the center crossmember and two small engine
>braces to get to it.
>You can easily get a torque wrench in there.

Hmmm... now that's a great idea... I'll check that out!

Doug

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding

DSMkarzOct-12-03 04:03 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
184 posts,
#2077, "RE: Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!"
In response to Reply # 5

can't you acces them threw the starter hole? And as long as you don't use it on aluminum red loctite should work fine.

TeamLSR member @ landspeedracing.com

Teamdougie2Oct-12-03 07:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2079, "RE: Torque converter bolts keep coming loose! Need suggestions!"
In response to Reply # 6
Oct-12-03 07:39 PM by dougie2

Quote:

Originally posted by DSMkarz
can't you acces them threw the starter hole?

That's what I said in my first post... I can't get a good grip on them from there.

I did resolve the issue by removing the center member and tranny cover and using Loctite Red and a torque wrench. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Doug

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2025 Previous topic | Next topic