Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1296
View in threaded mode

Subject: "The 604 in the LA Times ?" Previous topic | Next topic
ChamukoJun-19-03 09:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1296, "The 604 in the LA Times ?"

Was going through the news paper and noticed a 2 page article (not full 2 pages just continued from the front page) in the auto section talking trash about the chrysler 604. They mentioned it was in the lebaron? and in minivans. When they contacted chrysler they said that they havnt used that tranny recently. Bah, that reporter didnt do his hw, with the name change and all isnt our tranny still being used?

They interviewed mechanincs and dealers and all agreed that it is the most serviced tranny, and the worst design of all time?

That some cars have gone through several trannies in hundreds or thousands intervals (miles) and costing some several thousands

Comments on our wonderful tranny

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jsupetranJun-19-03 09:37 AM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1297, "RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah i was reading that. i think that they said that the problem is common in lebaron but it has since been redesigned for other cars(not affecting us).

i should read it again...

-------jezreel

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrJun-19-03 02:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#1298, "RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?"
In response to Reply # 1

yes we actually have the 41te tranny (just a name change to confuse consumers into thinking that the arent getting the a604 and I believe mitsu calls it the f4ac1 or something like that

All I can say is my tranny is just fine after 90k Miles (well so is my timing belt too)

the problem with the a604 is insufficient cooling
thats it, Ive had an extra cooler since almost day one and no problems

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Joe B SlowJun-19-03 03:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1299, "RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Mcgyvr hit it right on the crotch. It is a piece of crap transmission - in SOME cases. Hes right about the insufficient cooling too. YOu always hear "Heat is the A604s worst enemy..." The stock cooler is only a one pass fluid to fluid (think thats what you call it). And like Corbin has said in other threads, it can only get as cold/hot as your engines coolant temp.

But yea, 41TE or A604 or the Mitsu counterpart, in some cases it can fuck up. And when it does it isnt cheap, so like any other car part if you take care of it it will take care of you.

Joseph

ps - yes our tranny's in minivans. isnt that super. my moms car has the same tranny, except maybe with a few variations. her diff casing is huge. bout the only diff i can see, oh and the shifter looks different.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

InFiNiT3Jun-19-03 08:27 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#1304, "RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?"
In response to Reply # 3

*jake has no comment*

AEM cam Gears,MSD ignition,Chikira 4-2-1 header,Custom 2.5" exhast,Pacsetter hiflo cat ,head p/p , intake p/p 2mm oversize tit valves , t/b p/p , shiftkit , TQ lockup mod , and much mor

euro_clipseJun-21-03 10:07 PM
Member since May 14th 2002
515 posts,
#1316, "RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?"
In response to Reply # 4

I'd have to agree with the LA Times. My tranny pisses me off daily. I've never driven an auto that takes so long to respond to throttle input.

Black '98 GS auto
I-vers intake
Custom ram air
Front & rear strut bars
OBX fog lights w/ fog light mod
RSR rear section
Stereo that goes BOOM

ghostshellxJun-27-03 02:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
576 posts,
#1349, "RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?"
In response to Reply # 5

i went through 11 of them w/ an aftermarket tranny cooler, a604 is a big paper weight imo thats why whem i'm done with my rebuild i'm doing the 5sp swap when i drop it in

The 2GNT is Gone... and the curse too!!

9D9 MITSU RSJul-01-03 10:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#1393, "RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?"
In response to Reply # 6

being around a tranny shop so long- we may use the same tranny. There are still differences. Updates. The valve body probably has differences, the solenoids, electronics, everything. It's basically just the same case. There are cases where we have to drill into parts to update with new rebuild kits. So, there u have it. The tranny is the same, but probably isn't 100% exact.

silvreclipsersJul-08-03 06:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1756 posts,
#1446, "RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?"
In response to Reply # 5

>I'd have to agree with the LA Times. My tranny pisses me off
>daily. I've never driven an auto that takes so long to
>respond to throttle input.
>
hell yeah!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1296 Previous topic | Next topic