Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #660
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Launching with an automatic" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
inactive user iconAsianSensation (Inactive User)Apr-15-03 02:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
posts,
#660, "Launching with an automatic"

hey guys, what's the best way to launching with an automatic? I've read some posts on some other forums and lots of people say its better to just leave it in drive while power braking instead of starting in low and shifting upwards. What do you guys ususally do? Also my stall ususally only goes up to about 2200 rpms. ALso, when doin the launch and i suppose to have the gas floored also, then just release the brakes, or am I suppose to only step lightly on the gas then floor it slowly when im already in motion? Also if anyone has any other really good tips for launching with an auto please tell me.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Joe B SlowApr-15-03 04:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#662, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 0

Launching with AUTOs sucks. Especially at the track. Embarassing if you're up against a faster car either AT or MT, whoops your ass.

Powerbraking is how I was taught to do it. But I'm kinda wondering if just punching the gas would be better. Or like you said, slowly push on the gas then progressively push the throttle.

There's always the neutral drop....lol jk dont do that. That would only hurt your tranny more than brake torquing.

You may wanna experiment at a Saturday "all night" track. Or a track that isnt that busy or even a lonely road out in the countryside. Pack a picnic bring your woman cause youre gunna wanna let it cool between runs. I ran (uneducatedly) about 13 times NEARLY nonstop and i paid for it badly. But I had fun.

Powerbraking is what I did, dont run through the gears either let the transmission do that for you. Another thing you can do but that might hurt the tranny more as well: Right before a gear change as its changing let off the gas before the change then in between the change slam that pedal so that it revs a little between changes. that way when the tranny engages gear you're not in lower RPMs but in a little higher.

Leaving the car in o/d off seems to be the safest method messing around with the gears too much. In the 1/8th seriously doubt you'd get out of 3rd into 4th. The 1/4 i dunno, never ran a 1/4. Id imagine youd barely make it into 4th.

So hope that helps if its confusing IM me or something.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

woo2gnt97Apr-16-03 04:15 AM
Member since Nov 06th 2002
1362 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#665, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 1

I'll try both at the track tonight if I can get two runs in, and so long as it doesn't rain ..

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
goldline springs w/ tokico blues
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

mcgyvrApr-16-03 04:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#666, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 1

ok here is my take on it.
#1 I never power brake, its a waste and doenst help (Ive tried many,many ways to launch and thats not the way, plus its soooo bad for the tranny

this is how its done
for gear selector our trannies were designed to shift faster through the gears if you leave it in 2nd (shift time is decreased by the TCM)
this also allows you to redline 2nd before the tranny automatically shifts to 3rd at redline

never, never slam on the gas from a dead stop (get a datalogger and see what happens to your ignition timing.) always give it 50% throttle from a dead stop for just a second then apply full throttle (you need to get the hang of exactly how long to keep it at 50% throttle)

and right before each upshift slightly let off the gas then stomp on it again, I can chirp 2nd doing it this way easily

it takes a while to find the perfect times/spots to do each of these moves but it really is the best way to launch.

I dont care if Im racing a stick car anymore I never have a problem beating them with this technique

and If we could get an ECU that doesnt retard timing with each gear change we would have no problems

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

woo2gnt97Apr-16-03 10:00 AM
Member since Nov 06th 2002
1362 posts,
#669, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 3

OD on or off Mcgyvr?

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
goldline springs w/ tokico blues
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

mcgyvrApr-16-03 11:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#671, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 4

OD off, that way your car wont try to switch into 4th right before the finish line, unless your just racing on the street and will be racing for more than 1/4 mile then leave it on

and I havent decided yet if its better to leave it in first.

I was just trying today and I decided I like it with the gear selector in 2nd and when I want to switch I just slide the selector up to 3rd or you can redline and the tranny is supposed to switch up to 3rd

But I thought I read somewhere that our trannies will only automatically upshift if the selector is in 1st and not second but I think it will auto upshift if your in 2nd too. if thats the case leave it in 2nd that way your not redlining 1st

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

DirtyApr-16-03 11:59 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#674, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 5

I do the same thing as Mcgyvr does except I leave it in drive. I will turn the OD off though. I haven't tried it in 2nd except by accident so I confirm the automatic shift to 3rd from 2nd while in 2nd. I redline 1st-3rd and when it shifts my exhaust makes this loud fart sounding noise and kicks into the next gear like a MF. I notices since I hooked up the A/F gauge when it shifts and makes that sound I get lean as fuck for a second and then back normal again. It scares the shit out of the guy next to me. Does anybody know why ATX makes that noise? I've never heard it in a MTX. I love it though.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Joe B SlowApr-16-03 12:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#675, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 6

I get that same noise! Always wondered if it was just my car.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

KLIPZEDApr-16-03 12:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
238 posts,
#676, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 4

Sweet, headed out to the track in a couple weekends will have to try that out.

Walker
95 Minden Silver Klipz GS A/T
One day my car will be in one piece
AEM CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, Ported TB, Pro-Kit w/ Tociko Blues, 17" Excel TZ-7s(Gunmetal),SilverNT's rear carpet kit(lovin it), Interfire 1200w amp pushin 2 kicker comp 12's

Joe B SlowApr-16-03 12:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#677, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 8

Just please remember what your tranny is capable o Not a race car boys!

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyApr-16-03 04:44 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#678, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 9

Joe............I don't think there's a racecar on this board.

Not to bring back bad memorys there man, but you seem pretty down on the A604 sice youbroke yours. It will be alright man. Just smile and say "My tranny......Is somebody".

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #660 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic