Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #843
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Top Speed Ques." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
InFiNiT3May-13-03 10:52 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#843, "Top Speed Ques."

What up guyz?
Ok I know you've all noticed that when your in overdrive your limited to 100mph but when its off its go till red.....But i wanna know why is that? and what can I do to fix it? w/o O/D i can get up to 130mph then I switch to O/D and the damn car slows down...Every other A/T Ive driven if you switch into O/D at redline it still climbs...Just curious....

97' Eclpse GS 420A
MODS*****
AEM cam Gears
MSD ignition
Chikira 4-2-1 header
Custom 3" exhast
Pacsetter hi-flo c

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Joe B SlowMay-14-03 04:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#844, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 0

Good question, cause I can hit 120+ with OD on.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Dark RingleaderMay-14-03 04:40 AM
Member since Jan 23rd 2003
869 posts,
#847, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 1

I remember racing a cougar I hit like 117 or so with o/d off and though oh crap I forgot to turn o/d back on after 80mph or so, I flicked O/D back on and boom my speed drops to 100mph and goes nowhere. Still haven't figured it out but heres a rough explanation I came up with. Your straining out all you can of our third gear to get up to 115 so when you turn on o/d it shifts into 4th thus dropping the RPM's but since our cars aren't powerful enough that high we can't get any enough power out of 4th gear at that point to hold the same speed, thus our speed drops. That's just an idea I came up with but I'm not positive so don't quote me on that.

FOR SALE PM Me for info:
Red '95 GS ATX with mods

New Ride:
94 Acura Integra GS-R 5-Speed
Comptech Intake
Tein S-Tech
On the way:
Integra Type R Transmission with LSD
GReddy Turbo Kit (by end of summer hopefully)

chris2wire: you've been uber'd

DirtyMay-14-03 03:34 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#853, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 2

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. I reached 130 on I-75 before I had to break cause of traffic and my shit was in OD and still climbing. The only time I ever turn my OD off is before I race someone from a dead stop. I wouldn't try doing 100+ in 3rd in my car anyway.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

thedawgMay-15-03 09:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#857, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 3

He's right, O/D does slow the car down. I'm limited to about 110 in O/D and the second I click it off it hauls ass.

I keep saying this, but "The overdrive in our cars is to SAVE FUEL ONLY"

I think it has something to do with the tranny being allowed to slip at a certain temp while in O/D, but when you turn it off, everything locks back down and puts the power to the road. If you have a gauge you'll see your tranny temp is sky high in O/D at 100mph.

9D9 MITSU RSMay-15-03 09:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#860, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 4
May-15-03 09:46 AM by 9D9 MITSU RS

it's called converter lock-up folks. It can be disengaged.

u know when ur in OD and the rpm's drop, then drop again almost like it hits 5th? That is converter lock-up. It's for fuel economy, but def. not for performance. Most autos that race take the lock-up feature out or get a switch so they can control it.

Joe B SlowMay-15-03 11:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#863, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 5

Still doesnt explain why Dirty and I can reach 120+ in 4th gear with OD on...

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

RyaN95i4May-15-03 03:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#879, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 6

what explanation are you looking for?

3rd gear hits redline at 120. after that, you need 4th gear to go any faster. the car will only go into 4th gear if OD is on, so of course youll pull 120+ with OD on.

what i do: leave OD off until i need to go over 120. If you have OD on, the car will shift into 4th earlier, at about 105mph or so, regardless if your at wot with plenty of room to pull in 3rd. Right before 120, flip the od back on, and keep pulling. This is of course racing, normally i just have OD on to help w/ fuel economy.

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

9D9 MITSU RSMay-15-03 10:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#887, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 7

funny. my car will do 120 in L at WOT. they aren't fully selectable or whatever the right terminology is. U can leave it in L and floor it and it will still upshift without hitting the limiter or anything.

InFiNiT3May-16-03 10:22 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#891, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 5

What kinda switch? i mean is there anyone who has the mod instructions? this is something that just bugs me i'd really like to get rid of it
thanks

97' Eclpse GS 420A
MODS*****
AEM cam Gears
MSD ignition
Chikira 4-2-1 header
Custom 3" exhast
Pacsetter hi-flo

RyaN95i4May-17-03 06:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#896, "RE: Top Speed Ques."
In response to Reply # 8

this is true.

Our computer will shift at the same point no matter where the shifter is.

Im talking about OD tho. If you leave OD on, the tcm will shift into 4th early. Leave it off, and the tcm will not shift into 4th and you can run 3rd out to 120 (thats regardless of where you have the shifter: L-2-D)

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #843 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic