Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1073
View in threaded mode

Subject: "did the TransGo sunday (looong!)" Previous topic | Next topic
WIKKIJun-02-03 07:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1073, "did the TransGo sunday (looong!)"

Well, I did the shift kit on sunday. It went like clockwork. with no issues other than the piston seals didn't want to wrap around the pistons very well. when I put the body back into the trans (the third time that I have ever done this) it seemed to bottom out just before it made contact with the transmission. I thought that it was probably my imagination, so I pushed just a little harder. everything fit together, I filled the trans with ATF+3 (yes I replaced the trickshift synthetic) and set off to test it out.
well I put it in reverse...sounded good. put it in drive..CLUNK! WTF!
so I checked the fluid again, and topped it off a little. put it in gear...CLUNK! (it's not really that loud or traumatic, it is just really immediate). so I took it for a test drive. the car drove great. the shifts were really positive. so I put the overdrive on and began my trek to the freeway. as soon as it tried to shift into overdrive, it went into 2nd gear lockup.. WTF!
so it looks like I will be pulling it apart on my next available day. I am really thinking that the O.D. piston seal slipped while I was installing the valve body.

By the way. was anyone aware that Chrysler now has a reusable pan gasket for our cars? I about shit my pants. no more rtv! (or risk of poluting your fluid with rtv particles). I bought it for about $40, and it works like a charm

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
amljbsJun-02-03 07:49 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1076, "RE: did the TransGo sunday (looong!)"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah it sounds like a seal. I did it on sunday also and I was terrified I was going to have that problem because those damn seals want to fucking spring apart as soon as you start to put them in. Good luck with it bro keep us posted.

1998 Eclipse GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Joe B SlowJun-02-03 07:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1077, "RE: did the TransGo sunday (looong!)"
In response to Reply # 0

WOO WOO, good to hear from you again Wikki! Its been a while ma . Congrats on the install, other than the mishap. Sure its what you mentioned. A604 is really finicky you know that, it'll mess up at the slightest variation in tolerence. You'll get it right:).

joseph

PS - im very tempted to get the shift kit, my shifts suck as we speak. but every mechanic says dont mess with it

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

WIKKIJun-02-03 08:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#1079, "RE: did the TransGo sunday (looong!)"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanx for your concern.
It's good to get some time to post and read (and time to f**ck up my car LOL) these 70hr work weeks are suckin'. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
did you read the part about the pan gasket? am I the only one who didn't know that?

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

soulcontrollerJun-02-03 08:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#1083, "RE: did the TransGo sunday (looong!)"
In response to Reply # 3

i didnt know about that gasket wikki. next time i take the tranny apart im definately getting one...

as for your shift, i think your assumption is right with one of the piston seals slipping. they are a HUGE pain to reinstall, and get the seals and everything to fit up and stay. once you do it a couple times though it gets easy lol.

if you need anything drop me a line on AIM, im always on there.

WIKKIJun-02-03 08:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#1084, "RE: did the TransGo sunday (looong!)"
In response to Reply # 4

thanx dood!

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1073 Previous topic | Next topic