Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4723
View in threaded mode

Subject: "problum with limp mode kicking in and out" Previous topic | Next topic
slpknt_88Oct-11-11 05:48 AM
Member since Sep 28th 2011
6 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4723, "problum with limp mode kicking in and out"

Hello, I'm seeking as much info as possible on this. I have a 1995 eclipse gs stock 420a and 4spd auto trans. With ruffly 149k. Only mods on the car are 4-2-1 header, and iceman cool ram air intake (installed by pervious owner) i did an egr valve block off. But I've been haveing an issue of this thing kicking in and out of limp mode. Ill be driving the car either city or highway, and with out warning it'll kick into limp mode, and now its even kicked into 1st gear and won't vome out of it (1st) unless i punch it to about 5k rpm then let off and it'll go into 2nd and stay in it...now i did have my ECL (engin check light) on it was for the collent temp sensor. I replaced both and the light has been off for some time now, but the problum still continues. I did hours of research on the net and it comes down to the TCM is to blame...i pulled all the tranny wires and the ecu and tcm they all look fine no corosion... so can someone shed some light on this.
I need some questions answered:
What is causing this?
If tcm, can i rebuild it?
Is the 95 tcm only compatiable with the 95, or can another non turbo tcm from another 2gn work?
What is the "black box" with wires on the front of the tranny?
What sensors could cause this?
I have O/D and should there be a light on the cluster letting me know if i have it on or off?
Where is the O/D sensor at?
I belive that's all my questions for the moment...Id aperciate all the help i can get. Thank you for reading and the help

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
420agreenvilleSCOct-11-11 09:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1525 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4724, "RE: problum with limp mode kicking in and out"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-11-11 10:02 AM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by slpknt_88
Hello, I'm seeking as much info as possible on this. I have a 1995 eclipse gs stock 420a and 4spd auto trans. With ruffly 149k. Only mods on the car are 4-2-1 header, and iceman cool ram air intake (installed by pervious owner) i did an egr valve block off. But I've been haveing an issue of this thing kicking in and out of limp mode. Ill be driving the car either city or highway, and with out warning it'll kick into limp mode, and now its even kicked into 1st gear and won't vome out of it (1st) unless i punch it to about 5k rpm then let off and it'll go into 2nd and stay in it...now i did have my ECL (engin check light) on it was for the collent temp sensor. I replaced both and the light has been off for some time now, but the problum still continues. I did hours of research on the net and it comes down to the TCM is to blame...i pulled all the tranny wires and the ecu and tcm they all look fine no corosion... so can someone shed some light on this.
I haven't had a ton of experience with limp mode before but in the past I have done alot of reading about it. Most of the info that I remember was actually found on this site. Have you searched on here for your symptoms? Most of these issues have been addressed on this site in one fashion or another - just takes a bit of digging around.

Not because you mentioned it, but from what I remember the TCU was to blame for several limp mode situations that I came across reading in the past. I believe you can even reset the TCU if I remember correctly, but again, that info most likely can be found by searching on here, or this -> http://www.nawdu.de/files/97-99ECB.PDF (pgs 1007-1206)

I need some questions answered: What is causing this?
What I said above ^^^^

If tcm, can i rebuild it?
No. You must source another

Is the 95 tcm only compatiable with the 95, or can another non turbo tcm from another 2gn work?
If I remember correctly, the TCU itself is interchangable with all 2gnts from 95-99

What is the "black box" with wires on the front of the tranny?
Electrical Pressure switch - http://www.nawdu.de/files/97-99ECB.PDF (pg 1170)

lookup symptoms and solutions on http://www.nawdu.de/files/97-99ECB.PDF

I have O/D and should there be a light on the cluster letting me know if i have it on or off?
yup, should be a orange/yellow indicator when depressed (off) on the gauge cluster

Where is the O/D sensor at?
its not exactly a sensor, but an electrically engaged/disengaged pressure switch (clutch) toggled by the switch on your shifter O/D button - http://www.nawdu.de/files/97-99ECB.PDF (pg 1178)

I belive that's all my questions for the moment...Id aperciate all the help i can get. Thank you for reading and the help
welcome

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

slpknt_88Oct-11-11 11:22 AM
Member since Sep 28th 2011
6 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4725, "RE: problum with limp mode kicking in and out"
In response to Reply # 1

Hey thanks for the info! When I'm home ill check the links on my pc instead of my cell. So, my O/D light isn't on when i turn it on, what could cause it? And as far as stock rims, steelies, alloy, what other cars work on eclipse, i know they run the ?5x114? Patten

420agreenvilleSCOct-11-11 12:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1525 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4726, "RE: problum with limp mode kicking in and out"
In response to Reply # 2

So, my O/D light isn't on when i turn it on, what could cause it?
could be as simple as a blown bulb in the gauge cluster, to as complex as electrical wiring to the button going to the trans electrical pressure switch. I bet it's just your bulb though. There are extra bulbs on the back of the cluster exactly for this type of situation. Sorta like spare fuses in the fuse panel.

And as far as stock rims, steelies, alloy, what other cars work on eclipse, i know they run the ?5x114? Patten
all are 5x114.3

this helps too http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Tire_and_Rim_Guide

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

nubJan-18-12 01:37 PM
Member since Feb 12th 2011
26 posts,
#4727, "RE: problum with limp mode kicking in and out"
In response to Reply # 0

It sounds like either your transmission input speed or output speed sensor might be going bad. Mine have gone bad a couple times now.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4723 Previous topic | Next topic