Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4069
View in threaded mode

Subject: "won't shift?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
2geclipselamboedMay-05-06 04:12 AM
Member since Jan 12th 2006
265 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4069, "won't shift?"

Ok my car runs fine but it gets in a mood where it doesn't shift even when i stop. I shut off the car and back on and it is fine though..if that the computer, or the transmission, or something else???

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ForceFed420aMay-05-06 04:37 AM
Member since Oct 18th 2004
620 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4070, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 0
May-05-06 04:42 AM by ForceFed420a

Could you clarify that a little bit? First, are you a manual or automatic? Second, what do you mean it doesn't shift when you are stopped? The way it's worded sounds like you can't get the car into gear, so I'll assume that you're a stick unless you tell me otherwise. Does it grind if you try to put it in? You sure you're pushing the clutch in? When the car is off, can you get it into gear? Before a diagnosis can be made, a clearer description of the problem is necessary.

Brian

PS. This probably should also go into one of the tranny sections too.

Red 97 Eclipse GS (420a) MTX
Custom Garrett T3 Turbo system
Megasquirt w/52 lb/hr injectors & a Walbro 255
Kicker/Alpine Audio (3 amps, 2 subs)
90 Cav 2.2 TBI auto (winter) <- yeah, it's fast

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RedriceboxMay-05-06 05:22 AM
Member since Feb 22nd 2006
55 posts,
#4071, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 1

I think he's saying it doesn't downshift at a stop..I had the same problem with my Camaro....I replaced the lockup solenoid and all was good..>Just a thought...

2geclipselamboedMay-05-06 06:45 AM
265 posts,
#4072, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 2

sorry ok i will make this a lil clearer...the car is an automatic. I just had it rebuilt maybe 600 miles ago. There are times the car drives perfectly, and then other times where it just won't shift. Its like it gets stuck in 3rd or 4th gear an even when u come to a complete stop it still is in one of them gears even when trying to take back off. If i shut the car off and then back on it seems to be fine though, but this happens at least 2-3 times a day.

ForceFed420aMay-05-06 06:52 AM
620 posts,
#4073, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 3

I had a friend's car that did something similar to that. What happened in his was he would drive it for a while in top gear. Then as he was coming off the highway, the torque convertor wouldn't unlock and it caused the car to buck and stall. I replaced the TCC (Torque converter clutch) solonoid for him and it fixed it. Does that sound like it could be the problem?

Brian

2geclipselamboedMay-05-06 07:30 AM
265 posts,
#4074, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 4

well theres the thing, the car does not stall when coming to a stop. It sits there and idles regular but when taking it off it is still in a top gear

RedriceboxMay-05-06 07:46 AM
55 posts,
#4075, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 5

You sure it's still in top gear and not just locked in OD??? Try driving it for a while with OD turned off...See if the symptoms still occur...

RedriceboxMay-05-06 07:47 AM
55 posts,
#4076, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 6

I think we're on the same page here Brian...

ForceFed420aMay-05-06 08:19 AM
620 posts,
#4077, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 7

Well, after that last post I'm a little unsure. If the TCC was activated, and the torque convertor locked and the car was stopped, then the motor would have to be stalled, since everything's connected, unless his torque convertor was bad and slipping. I don't think it would feel normal though. From what it sounds like, at an idle, it runs fine, but when he starts, he's starting in a higher gear than first. OP: is this true?

Brian

2geclipselamboedMay-05-06 10:27 AM
265 posts,
#4078, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 8

yeah thats exactly what it feels like, and for some reason the car starts hard too, u gotta crank for a lil while but everything is in time...could it be the flywheel or something in the tranny making it do that too?

RedriceboxMay-05-06 11:31 AM
55 posts,
#4079, "RE: won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 9

Turn off OD and drive it around..if it runs better, your half way to a solution....

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4069 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic