Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #5626
View in threaded mode

Subject: "First time at the track soon. Advice? Times?" Previous topic | Next topic
RfOeCnKdOeNrAug-05-07 12:46 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2006
259 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5626, "First time at the track soon. Advice? Times?"

Hey everyone, I have a 1996 RS-T that I turboed about two months ago. Car has been runningvery nice at 7-8 pounds. A bunch of us are planning to go to the Lebanon Valley Dragway and put down some 1/4 mile runs. First and foremost, I have never raced before. Any advice for a fisr timer at the track? I am alittle nervous about it.

Also, what times would I expect to see. Its a stock motor, with a costum t3/t4 turbo kit (using the star manifold and turbo). Type RS BOV, tial wastegate set to about 8 psi, treadstone FMIC with 2.5" piping, SFMU with 6 an return line, 30# injectors, and a 2.5" downpipe with a 3" catless all the way back.

P.S. Sorry this was so long, i wanted to be breif haha.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
eclipse982nrRSTAug-06-07 07:14 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5627, "RE: First time at the track soon. Advice? Times?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by RfOeCnKdOeNr
Hey everyone, I have a 1996 RS-T that I turboed about two months ago. Car has been runningvery nice at 7-8 pounds. A bunch of us are planning to go to the Lebanon Valley Dragway and put down some 1/4 mile runs. First and foremost, I have never raced before. Any advice for a fisr timer at the track? I am alittle nervous about it. Also, what times would I expect to see. Its a stock motor, with a costum t3/t4 turbo kit (using the star manifold and turbo). Type RS BOV, tial wastegate set to about 8 psi, treadstone FMIC with 2.5" piping, SFMU with 6 an return line, 30# injectors, and a 2.5" downpipe with a 3" catless all the way back. P.S. Sorry this was so long, i wanted to be breif haha.

For adice: dont get addicted to running down the track a bunch of times during trials. You will love the rush of staging and getting down the track, but do it a TON of times. Let the car get to operating temp, dont shoot down on a cold engine. Dont strecth your gears out either if your a MTX.

For times, I am guessing you will see a low 15, high 14 maybe.

Good Luck, have fun and be safe!

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JayWeezie88Aug-06-07 02:25 PM
Member since Jul 08th 2005
130 posts,
#5628, "RE: First time at the track soon. Advice? Times?"
In response to Reply # 1

Staging: Do a little burnout, don't sit there for 5 seconds smoking your tires b/c it will hurt more than it helps.

Launching: If you're going to a test and tune don't worry about R/T, it doesn't start until you go. Concentrate on your 60' times, I think its something like every tenth you take off of your 60' it comes off of your 1/4 mile time. Heres how I launched my GST. I first got to the line and started to very gently let my clutch out until it started to roll (You should do this a little before you're completly staged so you don't red light).When it started to move I pushed the clutch in a little bit and brought it up to 3-3500 and when it was time to go I feathered the clutch out and gave it some gas. (This got me 2.1-2.2 60's).

In the end don't be pissed you didn't get the times you were hoping for. It takes practice, pratice, and some even more practice. So you don't feel bad the first time I brought my GST to the track I ran like a 15. something...(GST's run 15 stock lol). After about a dozen runs my best time of the day was 14.2.

Good luck and report back with some sick slips.

99 GST - Some stuff

14.083 @ 97.37 (10psi-ish ATCO 3/13/07)

"She said its JUST a car...I said your JUST a girl"

EricAug-07-07 03:23 PM
Member since Mar 21st 2004
252 posts,
#5629, "RE: First time at the track soon. Advice? Times?"
In response to Reply # 2

I suggest parking your car and watching a few runs after you get your car tech'd (inspected). This will allow your car to cool down. Also, it is good if you have never gone because you can see what other racers are doing, see the staging lanes, starting line, end of the quarter mile, see what side of the track the lane back to the pits is located, and where the ET booth is located.

You are going to want to lower your front tire pressure to get better traction. I would say you should start with 25 psi (warm tires) and go lower as you see fit. Make sure to put air back in them when you leave! When your about to make your run turn off your radio, ac, and roll up your windows and close your sunroof. Don't use the waterbox as it is for if you have slicks. Drive around the waterbox and spin your tires next to it. Slowly drive up to stage your wheels in the beam as many new people to the track don't know where it is and drive right through it. You must get both the top 2 sets of staging lights to turn on before they drop the lights. Don't worry about your R/T because it doesn't effect your 1/4 time. Most people start to accelerate on the 3rd light because it takes a lot of time to react to the light and get the car moving. Don't forget to stop at the ET booth to pick up your time slip.

Good luck!

-Eric

97 Eclipse RS
1/4: 16.15 @ 87.35mph

RfOeCnKdOeNrAug-08-07 06:48 AM
259 posts,
#5630, "RE: First time at the track soon. Advice? Times?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the advice everyone. The weather is acting up, but hopefully I will be heading up today!

ModeratorbullettdsmAug-08-07 07:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#5631, "RE: First time at the track soon. Advice? Times?"
In response to Reply # 4

I wish I was up there today. I'd love to help you out. Just too hot and humid, and too little time to prep up the car. Guess we'll debut the 12.5 at the SO.

First, don't worry too much about your times that day. Your first day is just an introduction to the track and getting used to all the crap that happens as you drive (basically, seat time). You're launch is important and specific to each vehicle. I don't know about your spool or launch control (if you have any). But remember the gas is not an "on/off" switch. For specifics, I really need more info (tires, gas, tune power range). Generally, you want to take air out of your tires to get a bit more grip. This allows the sidewall to absorb some of the shock of your launch. If you have like 17's on there, forget it. It won't help you. If you're running 14's, good luck with that. I couldn't get them to do anything but spin.

Crap, gotta go. If you see Danie up there (in the srt from CCDSM), definitely talk to her. She knows what she is doing and would probably love to help you.

Have fun

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

RfOeCnKdOeNrAug-09-07 05:47 PM
259 posts,
#5632, "RE: First time at the track soon. Advice? Times?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by bullettdsm
I wish I was up there today. I'd love to help you out. Just too hot and humid, and too little time to prep up the car. Guess we'll debut the 12.5 at the SO. First, don't worry too much about your times that day. Your first day is just an introduction to the track and getting used to all the crap that happens as you drive (basically, seat time). You're launch is important and specific to each vehicle. I don't know about your spool or launch control (if you have any). But remember the gas is not an "on/off" switch. For specifics, I really need more info (tires, gas, tune power range). Generally, you want to take air out of your tires to get a bit more grip. This allows the sidewall to absorb some of the shock of your launch. If you have like 17's on there, forget it. It won't help you. If you're running 14's, good luck with that. I couldn't get them to do anything but spin. Crap, gotta go. If you see Danie up there (in the srt from CCDSM), definitely talk to her. She knows what she is doing and would probably love to help you. Have fun

Yeah, so I didn't make it due to working late and pulling my dash apart. WACK! It was very humid though, I must say. Thanks for the advice bullett. I am pumped to go up for drag day. I have been dying to see your car. We are the very few 420A CCDSMers. lol

Oh BTW, I have the stock 16 alloys as rims, Toyo Proxe something or other tires, and I am tuned at about 11.6 in third gear WOT at 7-8 psi. Haven't gotten to a dyno yet.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #5626 Previous topic | Next topic