Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #5620
View in threaded mode

Subject: "FINALLY! - 2nd place and... new best time of 15.178!" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Jun-24-07 05:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5620, "FINALLY! - 2nd place and... new best time of 15.178!"

I've been waiting for a day like this for a LONG time!

What a good day for racing. There was plenty of traction and the temperature was somewhere in the mid to high 60s so the car was making more power than last month's import event.

My first time trial run I had a 2.166 60' time, with a 15.210 at 90.55 mph. I had to look at the slip for a long time to make sure it was correct!

Second time trial was even better:

60' 2.131
330' 6.212
1/8 9.686
mph 69.87
1000' 12.669
1/4 15.178
mph 90.03

I knew the car had it in her (and it is STILL NOT TUNED! This is on the stock ECU!) but that it just would take the right day and a good launch. I have been holding the RPMS at about 6000 and giving the throttle a good stab before letting up on the clutch. The launch was smoooth, no wheel spin.

Then the competition began in the slick class (bracket racing). First run I though I would have to line up against the resident ringer (excellent racer, great guy by the name of Fred Simmons, he knows his stuff and I've had close races with him before) and he is running a gutted all motor Cavalier which runs high 13s instead of the old one which ran high 15s (which his cousin has been racing - and winning with, his cousin won the street tire class)

But, instead because one other guy in line went into the wrong lane, I lined up against a 11 sec civic which was another gutted race car. He broke at the line and I cruised to an easy victory. I only had a 15.4 run since I took it a bit easy (ONLY a 15.4 run.... never thought I'd say that!)

Second run was versus a turbo and nitrous sentra, I dialed a 15.15 to his 12.70. I cut a 0.043 light (that's essentially a 0.543, they are occationally measuring perfect lights at the track as 0.000 instead of 0.500) and I ran a 15.27. He was catching up fast at the end but I just had a better reaction time and I was a bit closer to my dial in time. That put me into the finals....

.... where I lined up against Fred in the Cavalier. I guess I just could not avoid him. I bumped my dial to 15.20 and hoped for the best. Unfortunately I bogged the launch a little (I backed off on my RPMs a bit too much and I think I launched at about 5000 instead of 6000) and my reaction time for this run sucked at a 0.146 because I was concentrating more on what my right foot was doing than the tree.

You aren't going to win 1st place with a 0.146 reaction time and running a 15.33 on a 15.2 dial in... and I didn't win. If the reaction time was better even with the bogged launch there was a chance, but 2nd place isn't too bad either Fred had told me at the 1/8th mile he didn't think he'd catch me as my car was keeping ahead of him, but just before the 1/4 mile he got about a car lenght ahead.

As for other happenings at the import event, New England DSM dominated the street shootout class (head up racing, street legal tires) with a 1st, 2nd, and top 4th place finish. There was some tough competition too, a fast civic also in top 4 and there was this Lexus with a supra motor swap which could not get many clean runs but when it did it was running at least 10s, if not 9s in the 1/4 mile. I think some said it dynoed with 900 or 1000hp one time too. There were some very fast slick tire cars too, a 10 sec civic in that class. The winner in the street tire class (Leon, from NEDSM) ran 10.6, and another NEDSM owner running time trials got his car to 10.6 as well.

Overall, 2nd place, a nice new trophy, and a huge (relatively speaking) drop in the 1/4 mile which was stuck at 15.3 all last year, I'd say that's a damn good day!

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Moderatorcs82685Jun-24-07 04:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5621, "RE: FINALLY! - 2nd place and... new best time of 15.178!"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice, Congrats.

Now you gotta change your sig

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-25-07 06:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#5622, "RE: FINALLY! - 2nd place and... new best time of 15.178!"
In response to Reply # 1

Grats dude!

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-25-07 09:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#5623, "RE: FINALLY! - 2nd place and... new best time of 15.178!"
In response to Reply # 1

Nice Todd! Getting those times down IN SPITE of the stock dog ECU. I'm jealous. I haven't been able to run recently because both my projects aren't ready. I think I got one ready for this week, but work is not agreeing with me. Eh, I'll get there

Yeah, Leon can run.

Congrats on the second.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #5620 Previous topic | Next topic